Different Localities

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NightFury

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have searched the forums here and can't seem to find an answer but I was considering one day breeding my stimson python, but was wondering if I would have to get a female of the same locality (broome). I don't think locality matters too much, but was wondering what your opinions would be?

After posting this found some answers in similar threads, but would like to see what others think anyway.

Last edited:
Sticking with one locality will keep your lines clean but realistically, if you can't prove your snakes are pure locality then it doesn't make a difference. As long as you are breeding Stimson to Stimson, most people wont mind.

Thanks for that, I plan to stick with the one locality, but just wanted to see what others thought, as I didn't think locality did matter that much as long as it was still a stimson. I'm hoping to get another broome stimson python this hatchy season (after a trip to the vet to double check my little guys sex) and possibly breeding them a few years down the track

I personally love the locales, and one day i hope to breed between locales and hopefully discover some cool patterns :)

Unless its wild caught or parents are wild caught I wouldn't trust that it's a broome animal anyway. We know a lot of animals some breeders have are guessing the locale. Like the confiscated snakes from WA that people sell as wheatbelts, despite not actually knowing their origin.

I'm glad to hear that you plan to stick with one locality. It's a shame that more reptile keepers don't value locality pure reptile pairings imo. Whilst I understand that it's difficult to find legally obtained, captive-bred locality pure stock, it's worth the effort in my opinion. Of course it depends on your reasons for keeping and breeding reptiles.

I hear breeding your own animals is quite the experience, so that's why I'd like to give it a go, I'll do a heap of research before hand though, and the reason for keeping them is that I just love and adore them. I'm hoping to find a broome stimson from a different breeder this time, as I personally don't think I'd want to pair one up with a sibling, but that's just my thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back