Disastrous morning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hph

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Got a call at work from the missus this morning screaming about my escaped 4ft diamond python in the living room. We had a party for a child's bday on the weekend and someone must have undo the combination lock on the enclosure. I tried to persuade her to stay put and keep an eye on it while I make my way back from town. She had no word of that and went to mum's place instead :( .

Fortunately, I found him pretty much straight away around the leg of the piano :D . The worst bit was that it took me ages to get the nod to keep him. I have been told in no uncertain terms to move him to the shed or the garage after this episode :cry: :cry: :cry:

The missus need more training, better get something larger so she doesn't see the diamond as a threat :wink: :wink: :wink: .

Life is a series of compromises hph.
Is there something that she would realy like to have that you can make a deal with?

If not ditch the missus. 8)

At least you found it mate...all good. Take your time over moving it to the shed and pretty soon things are forgotten and you can concentrate on buying him a mate (or two)

I would be more than happy to be able to keep a snake in the shed. (my wife said one herp is enough...crazy woman - no idea...lol)

Maybe build a lovely outdoor enclosure and keep him/her out there...

we had this discussion, or similar, "how do you feel about venomous"
"If I say no you'll keep them anyway"
"yes, but if we discuss it you can have input into how and what we keep"
"no browns, no taipans, no tigers"
I still dont have any taipans or browns that I can call mine.
Oh and Ellie asked if she could do the catch and release course with me just incase she had a need to use the info.

Hey Peterrescue, maybe the browns aren't yours but they are cetainly living in your shed, with the tiger. But ellie still seemed quite happy and my kids loved the joint. cheers

Pete

when my partner first said he wanted to buy a snake i was worried, i was always brought up to fear snakes, so i told him that i would think about it and maybe (and that was a big maybe) go look at some in the petshops and talk to the shop keepers about them. I also found the VAAH and we joined that. Now 12 months on, we have 5 snakes, (2 which belong to me), i do all the feeding, all the cleaning and take them outside for their daily dose of sunlight :). I can understand where your wife is coming from as i was there 12 months ago, what you need to do is ease her into them, take her with you to shops and get her talking to others about the snakes, she will eventually come round :)
good luck
Lisa

I haven't as yet been told to move the b/g jungle which is also residing in the living room, so fingers cross cos a lot of effort was spent on doing the glass enclosure and the fitouts :D.
The diamond is now living in a 3ft tank in the garage and will prob stay there till I finish with the aviary.
Unfortunately, the inlaws have weighed in on this and told her about the danger of snakes around young kids etc.. :(

sorry to hear that hph, as i also have 3 young children and due to having the snakes i believe the girls all now have a greater respect in the treatment and handling of these animals, i believe the snakes have taught the girls alot, i agree that is just ignorance and fear on the in laws part, but also your wife should be able to judge for herself :)
good luck keeping the jungle in the lounge
cheers
lisa

what is the danger of snakes around young kids???

besides the fact little kiddies can be eaten by big snakes??

hmmmmmm... is there a snake big enough in oz to eat an adult male?????

hph, there is no danger to children from pet snakes ifyou are a sensible person.
I assume if you had a dog this advice from your in-laws would be non existant.
I have a four and a six year old, I keep multiple animals including venomous.
im more concerned that my kids will get bitten by the rodents that I breed than being bitten by a reptile.
Anyway, this info is probably useless to you but makes me feel better :) goodluck.

She'll be fine in the shed mate. Make sure you put a telly out there so she can watch oprah ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back