Discriminated @ Pet Store Over Buying Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toximac

Reaction score
02052009mouse-poster_t300.jpg

My Bf went to buy some mice, at a inner city pet store, and asked for female mice TODAY, this is what happened *In script form*

(My Bf walks into the store, looking at mice, and approaches a woman with short blonde hair and pink streaks)

BF: Hi could I buy these 4 females, and one male? (points to enclosure)

PET STORE WOMAN: What do you want them for?

BF: To breed them.

PET STORE WOMAN: (she smiles and casually asks) For snakes?

BF: Yep

PET STORE WOMAN: I can't sell them to you, its illegal to sell them to you, I wouldn't do that

BF: Oh, Im just breeding them, not feeding them at all.

PET STORE WOMAN: It doesn't matter

PET STORE WOMAN: The worming medication and mite spray will stay in the mouse and off spring for 6 months.

BF: Thats no Concern, I just want these mice.

PET STORE WOMAN: Im sorry I cant sell them to you (smiles sycastically)

Theres another shop down the road that sells mice that are alive for feeding.

Im only thinking of the interest of the animals.

BF: Your only thinking from your ignorance.

Key Point : He was buying mice for breeding, a Pet Store Owner shouldn't discriminate him just because he owns snakes and deny his purchase over breeding them.

QUESTIONS:

1. Do you think its Logical for her to not sell them to my Boyfriend just because some of the offspring may be used as food at some point down the track?

2. If this is happened to you, let me know by posting on this thread & what the resolution was.

Ok well i do believe it sounds like she is discriminating, and really it is her job to just sell the mice. Although in some cases they are being asked to ask if being fed as some of the products on the mice will kill the snakes.

Even so she had told him, there for he had been informed and still wanted to buy. I really dont understand as to why she wouldnt after that point.

just go buy some somewhere else :) i wouldnt even bother wasting any time thinking about "the pet shop in question "

She just doesnt like snakes by the sounds of it....

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it sounded like she wouldn't sell the mice as they have been recently treated for mites, and if fed to snakes this can be toxic. I'd like to know that if I were buying mice...

She just doesnt like snakes by the sounds of it....

This made me laugh.....so many of them....

I don't tell the shops what Im buying them for. Don't give them any info and they can't discriminate.

To me it sounded like she wouldn't sell the mice as they have been recently treated for mites, and if fed to snakes this can be toxic. I'd like to know that if I were buying mice...

It was me that went to the pet shop. The problem was not that these mice could have insecticides because i asserted to her that the mice i was buying would not be fed to the snakes but that apparently the offspring of these mice will be forever tainted by the insecticides because it flows from milk to offspring. This was her claim. According to her once the mouse has been treated you cant then breed them for snake food....

Having worked in pet shops, I'd say shes being an idiot. If some derelict bogan came in to me and asked for live mice for snake food ( which happened quite a lot, usually followed by the idiotic 'hurhurhur' laugh), I'd explain they were mite sprayed ect ect. If someone came in wanting to by breeders so the offspring could be frozen and fed off down the track, then I can't see why this should be a problem!

I guess its good to know if they have been treated etc, but really, she has no right to ask you what you want them for...its none of her business

Its like cucumbers...its not our business what people want them for ;)

Hahahaa Tox thats funny!

I work in a pet shop and im told by my manager i cant sell live mice for food or n e other animal eg: quail!
in all honesty i dnt care i have costomers come in and are like can i have 10 mice yeah sure!
then i ask what type of snakes they have and they just laugh and ask how i knew!!!
but yet ill still sell them to him!

Main reason we were careful (other than the cruelty factor) was that we had an incident of a customers snake dying from live food, and they were back in the shop in quick order demanding we pay for a new snake ect ect. Really not worth it, but I'm out of that industry now, so I no longer have to worry!

Main reason we were careful (other than the cruelty factor) was that we had an incident of a customers snake dying from live food, and they were back in the shop in quick order demanding we pay for a new snake ect ect. Really not worth it, but I'm out of that industry now, so I no longer have to worry!
How did it die from live food?

I had the same problem at one of the local pet shops here .The snot nose upstart told me they do not sell rats/ mice for snakes and then started to give me a lecture on feeding rodents to snakes .Asked him why they had a tank full of feeder fish and he couldn't answer the question .Called him a clown and walked out and went to another pet shop that had no dramas selling me the rats .

How did it die from live food?

Mite spray I'm pretty certain. We'd had an argument with the boss about mite spray being toxic. Boss claimed it wasn't, we said it was. Then this incident occured, we rang the company who supplied the spray, and they confirmed that yes it was toxic, for at least ten days after application

I just walk into my favourite pet store and ask for an ugly, smelly mouse. They know what it is for and sell to me. I buy fresh when they are cheaper than frozen and I kill them before feeding. Tried to get one in the mall petstore once and they wouldn't sell it. Idiots.

So a pet store can sell you frozen mice/rats, but they aren't happy to sell you live ones so you can breed your own supply... what a joke...

Some people just aren't worth the time or effort... clearly she/her manager was an idiot.

It is inhumane to live feed, and dangerous for the snake, but there is no legal/ethical issue in breeding mice or rats for the purpose of feeding them to snakes - you just co2 them and freeze them first.

Lol :lol:

i dont think its bad for shops to not sell u mice for snakes,you have to understand they are a pet shop,to some shops u might as well ask to buy puppies for snake food,i say good on the shop,least it shows they care about the well being of there stock,i would have just gone up the road and thanked said shop for the info

she has no right to ask you what you want them for...)
Your right, and on those grounds she discriminated my bf! If someone asked at coles what are you using those condoms for, she'd be fired instantly, but pet stores have this power to judge a person and discriminate... similar to the cucumber example you made , lol ridiculous.

I work in a pet shop and im told by my manager i cant sell live mice for food or n e other animal eg: quail!!
These people shouldn't manage pet stores. Im not the kind thats gonna walk away and forget it, I was waiting all day for mice and this woman... *edited* lmao ...Im going back.

y. I really don't understand as to why she wouldnt after that point.
Me either, whatever happened to the customer is always right.

They dont have to do business with you if they dont want to.
I never tell them its for feeding, i always use my nephews or nieces as an alibi.
Isn't there some kinda regulation to sell to ALL people, not just children who look like they'll keep it as a cuddley pet?Cause I feel I have to do that too!! lol Bring a kid in and say its for him or Lie, I shouldnt have to.. its like ageist....like Sexism or Racism.
Mite spray I'm pretty certain. We'd had an argument with the boss about mite spray being toxic. Boss claimed it wasn't, we said it was. Then this incident occured, we rang the company who supplied the spray, and they confirmed that yes it was toxic, for at least ten days after application
I had a friend ring a company too and they said the same thing. Why isn't this studied so we know what agents last on rats/and what to steer clear from that have LONG TERM EFFECTS, I haven't heard of one that lasts more than 6 months/ Or heard of one that effects their babies in a chemical way so you cant feed em off / a myth

It is inhumane to live feed, and dangerous for the snake, but there is no legal/ethical issue in breeding mice or rats for the purpose of feeding them to snakes - you just co2 them and freeze them first.

Lol :lol:
Exactly, spot on.

i dont think its bad for shops to not sell u mice for snakes,you have to understand they are a pet shop,to some shops u might as well ask to buy puppies for snake food,i say good on the shop,least it shows they care about the well being of there stock,i would have just gone up the road and thanked said shop for the info

The sales person has no right to deny his sale for breeding them. If she wants to reject him based on his stance as a reptile keeper then thats discrimination. Why would you thank someone if they told you to go down the road, even if it was the shop next door Id Be offended their rejecting my sale for no legitimate reason, and I wanted THOOSE mice and he couldn't get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back