Discriminated @ Pet Store Over Buying Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i work in a pet store, and we are required by law not to sell live animals of any description(exept fish) if we KNOW that the critter is going to be used for live food, however there is no requirement to not sell to people who are breeding for pet food. However on a different note with the amount of kittens being abandoned i think that we should be able to c02 them and use them for snake food, im getting at least 30 a week at the moment, would be doing the enviroment a favour too, feed cats to native animals instead of the other way round. Sounds fair.Lol

Again, please reference the statute. Can't because it does not exist. I have no real problem with pet shop owners/ operators not selling to whoever they choose for whatever reason they choose, that is their right but do not dress it up as THE LAW.

Can I just say that I used to work in a pet store about 2 years ago and our bosses MADE us sell live rodents to people that we KNEW were going to feed them ALIVE to snakes. Staff were also instructed to feed live pinkies to the snakes we were trying to sell to customers. It was terrible :( Everytime I had a customer ask for a rodent I knew was for food, I made them choose an individual, because I am a lover of all animals and didn't want to play God and decide which one would meet that fate. That's how I got my pet rat back in the day. She was a kids pet and the family got sick of her, so sold her to the petshop I worked in. Because she had previously been a pet, she was super friendly. She was also alot bigger then the baby rats we had for sale, so snake people always wanted to buy her. I kept lying and saying she had just been wormed and kept waiting for a customer that actually wanted a pet. Three days passed and all i had were snake people asking about her. I ended up buying her and all the gear because I was so worried another staff member would sell her as food. We were inseparable for two years until she passed away from old age :( I have snakes as pets as well and understand that we need to feed them rodents, but they should be humanely euthanaised first, for the safety of the snake and also for the benefit of the poor rodent. I'm vegetarian by the way so you can't say anything about me eating animals myself.

I finally found a big pet store that sells feeder mice/rats in a reptile section in Sydney. I asked for 10 mice, some were preggas, so bonus. I also prefer to buy my other gear from there, if I can't wait for online purchases. It's the pet stores loss, been a long while since I wrote this thread, and it's funny how people comment as if to say "it's the law, why winge". Its not right for a pet store owner to interrogate/judge and discriminate someone by giving no valid reason why they won't sell. That's the part I have a problem with, also punishing honesty with sycastic poor behavior - these staff are ruining business - point made. Lol

I believe it's a grey area and should be determined on a case by case basis. I work in a pet store and probe a bit when live mouse/rat sales seem a bit off, this way i can find out exactly why the customer needs live food. IMO poorly educated customers re. the unnecessary cruelty and dangers of live food, customer with a problem feeders, customers wanting to begin breeding their own food should be dealt with differently to someone who knows it's unnecessary but prefers live food for the 'fun' of it.

I can fully understand a reluctance to sell any animal if the pet shop knew it was going to be used as live feed

But very few reptile owners percentage wise would risk live feeding

It's not discrimination and they don't have a legal obligation to sell them to you. Read up on consumer law.

Funnily enough I own both a pet snake and exhibition rodents so I can see both sides of the coin.
Some people are very sensitive about what happens to small and fluffy animals, it's no different than asking for any other animal. The attendant probably thought she saved those mice, that's just her perpective - right or wrong. You often read about people 'rescuing' rodents from similar situations.
Luckily snakes aren't typically used as fodder but if the shoe was on the other foot it might be a little easier to understand.

Best thing to do is not tell them what it's for, it saves a lot of hastle. Just tell them it's a surprise for the kids.

I'm 100% certain they aren't the only mice in the country and that getting them specifically from that store is of little consequence. It's not worth getting upset over, just go elsewhere. You may even find a better source, pet stores are notorious for dodgy quality rodents.

Again, please reference the statute. Can't because it does not exist. I have no real problem with pet shop owners/ operators not selling to whoever they choose for whatever reason they choose, that is their right but do not dress it up as THE LAW.
well the RSPCA guy that came when we first opened our doors sure had a different veiw, he stated that it was an offence and that if we were caught out then we could be prosecuted under the crulety to animals act, so are you sure that its not THE LAW? Im sure im not the only person who has heard of that particular law, and a mouse is a pest but it is still an animal and is protected under that law, the same as a snake, lizard, koala and every other animal. I'll sell you breeders and you do what you please but i have to cover my own *** at the end of the day.

well the RSPCA guy that came when we first opened our doors sure had a different veiw, he stated that it was an offence and that if we were caught out then we could be prosecuted under the crulety to animals act, so are you sure that its not THE LAW? Im sure im not the only person who has heard of that particular law, and a mouse is a pest but it is still an animal and is protected under that law, the same as a snake, lizard, koala and every other animal. I'll sell you breeders and you do what you please but i have to cover my own *** at the end of the day.

Most inverts and fish are not covered under those laws.

I did it.. I read the whole 9 pages and I still dont know if u finally got THOSE 4 MICE that u promised us u'd get and tell us all about it..?? a little dissapointed to be honest.... but its good to hear u eventually moved on and found a store your happy with..:D

I did it.. I read the whole 9 pages and I still dont know if u finally got THOSE 4 MICE that u promised us u'd get and tell us all about it..?? a little dissapointed to be honest.... but its good to hear u eventually moved on and found a store your happy with..:D

Aaaarrrgghhhh... at long last! I can't believe that this thread has gone to 9 pages!!! When the simple response should have been - the petshop can refuse to sell you whatever it likes for whatever reason, and if they do, just go somewhere else... so simple. What's the big deal?

Hopefully this thread will be closed and buried early today!

J

I must admit that I am very gullable. I believe anything I am told......

......until I go look at the black and white print. What the RSPCA will tell you, compared to what is written in their 'rules' or whatever they call it, are, in this case, two different things. They don't want live animals being fed to predators so they will sound very encouraging that you could be penalised for doing do. But all I could find on their website was that this is a law that could NOT be enforced, but have recommendations in place for the safety of the snake as well as the welfare of the poor little prey.
Can I feed live mice to a reptile? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

I don't know, I sympathize with the defenders of rodents, but I have a hard time sympathizing with pet stores.

I used to breed dwarf hamsters before I got into reptiles.

Cross breeding and hybrids were a major problem, and the biggest/worst culprits were major pet store chains. If you're familiar with the animal, there's two main species of dwarf hamsters and cross breeding them is like cross breeding a lion and a tiger. Major pet stores ignore this genetic fact and constantly cross breed the two. It's resulted in very sick dwarf hamster lines, and has tainted the purity of them. They're often mislabeled in pet stores and sold as pairs to customers.

The Reptile community often complains about the misinformation pet stores carry on snakes and lizards, the same is true with rodents.

If pet stores are going to go on animal rights crusades when it comes to feeders, perhaps they should practice what they preach and start breeding them right.

Lucky for us you can't keep hamsters in Australia then!

Aaaarrrgghhhh... at long last! I can't believe that this thread has gone to 9 pages!!! When the simple response should have been - the petshop can refuse to sell you whatever it likes for whatever reason, and if they do, just go somewhere else... so simple. What's the big deal?

Hopefully this thread will be closed and buried early today!

J

Sounds good to me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back