DIY Enclosure Joining Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PK1988

Hi all,

I am currently ready to get a new enclosure for my 2 bearded dragons.

I have decided, to save time and ensure quality, that I want to buy a Dalbarb Slim Line 4ft x 2ft x 100cm? High stand and hood to match as I like the extra height this stand has.

However, the tanks/enclosures on the market currently do not match this size or where they do they seem to fall short in some manner...

So my solution was to build myself a enclosure to fit, it would have matching pine timber back and base and glass sides with sliding glass front. (Back pine piece would have 2 vent cutouts)

My questions:

Will / how do I bond the pine to the glass? (I.e side glass would rest on pine base and butt up against back pine)

What thickness glass should I use as the pine sheets are 19mm thick from memory? (I assume a min thickness will be required to support the hood, lights etc)

Is there any custom enclosure makers / people with better carpentry experience near Castle Hill area who I could pay to do this?

(My thoughts on the pine base/back are heat retention, easier to transport/carry, less risk of breakage than glass, no need for glass back when I would adhere a rock wall backing to it, easier to make vents in wood than glass. Had a 4x2x2 glass aquarium a while ago with 10/12mm glass that was a giant pain to lift/move)

Thank you,
Peter

Pine is pretty expensive. If you're going to pay that much I'd suggest maybe go melamine instead. Otherwise use plywood instead. Also, does it have to have glass sides? All pine with glass doors would be a hell of a lot simpler.
You can bond the wood and glass with something like aquarium silicone or liquid nails. It needs to be something that doesn't dry hard and has a little bit of flex so it doesn't break the glass
5mm glass is standard so will probably be cheapest but, for strength, you'd probably want 6 or 7.

Hi All,

What about buying a raw pine enclosure and then cutting the sides out and installing glass? Would be a lot easier.

I like this idea, and thoughts on where I could buy one that this would work with?

- - - Updated - - -

Pine is pretty expensive. If you're going to pay that much I'd suggest maybe go melamine instead. Otherwise use plywood instead. Also, does it have to have glass sides? All pine with glass doors would be a hell of a lot simpler.
You can bond the wood and glass with something like aquarium silicone or liquid nails. It needs to be something that doesn't dry hard and has a little bit of flex so it doesn't break the glass
5mm glass is standard so will probably be cheapest but, for strength, you'd probably want 6 or 7.

I want to go with pine for aesthetics, I understand that cost is more but I want the look that pine gives over melamine or ply.

I would prefer the glass sides again for aesthetic reasons, and so there is a greater viewing angle in and out.

I was hoping silicone would be acceptable, but as I have only small experience with glass to glass I wanted to ensure this would work.

Am I assuming when you refer to 6/7mm for strength in glass you are proposing this is what is required to support the hood weight?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Aquarium glass holds aquariums full of water so it would be fine for what you need. Yeah I meant glass thickness. You will pay more for that too though

Aquarium glass holds aquariums full of water so it would be fine for what you need. Yeah I meant glass thickness. You will pay more for that too though

hey thanks for that, I was just concerned that the weight of a solid pine hood/lid may prove too heavy on thinner glass with nothing else transferring the loading, but I suppose you are right when you consider the pressure weight loading of the water must make, but wouldn't the vertical support strength of the glass be greatly reduced by a very small change in thickness of glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back