DIY Hatchy Rack

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bimbo

Reaction score
I have a few hatchies locked in with a breeder and need somewhere to put them so I decided I needed a hatchy rack. I need to house 17 hatchies so I built the rack to hold 16 sistema or similar tubs and I have room somewhere else for the extra one. This rack will sit out of my 10 month old daughters reach on top of my existing enclosure.

First off I ordered black melamine mdf from Mr Ply and also had them cut it for me as well as adding the edging on all the front edges cut list is as follows

5 x 400w x 1050L
2 x 400w x 600H

These sizes fitted the tubs in a 4x4 figuration and made the most out of a 2400x1200mm sheet of timber (only one strip of 15cmx200cm was left over)

Total cost was about $170 - would be cheaper if you went with standard white.
DSC_0274.jpg

This also shows the tubs I am going to use - I would use sistema 7L tubs but only if I can find them on special. These tubs are 6.3L and basically the same dimensions as the sistema but a fraction shorter - cost $7 each from Kmart. I am using tubs with lids as my plan is to sell the hatchies in their own tubs with hide and water bowl etc as a bit of a starter type setup and all that would be needed is a heat source.

First off was to run some grooves for the heat cord to sit in. I think I will only need one run of heat cord but cut 2 grooves just incase. I did this using a circular saw and ran 2 cuts right next to each other to create a 6mm or so groove.
DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg

I then needed to drill some holes to mount the shelves and have a bunch of these support doobies so thought I would use them.
DSC_0281.jpg

Next was to start screwing it all together making sure it is all square.
DSC_0282.jpg

Then on with the back (3mm piece of ply I had) which makes the whole thing sturdy - also holds it all square
DSC_0283.jpg

Then time to put it in place and install the heat cord, slide the shleves and tubs in place
DSC_0288.jpg

Just need to go and buy a few more tubs and make sure that the temps etc are all good then it is time to add some pythons

Cheers
James

Awesome! snake enclosure below looks pretty sweet as well :)
Thanks, except I didn't realise the glass was so dirty till after the photo - my daughter loves my blonde male that is in there and is always tapping on the glass cause then he comes out to see what is up thinking he is going to get fed.

looks awesome, did one heat cord run through the whole rack or did u need 2 ? and what size and watt heat cord did u use ? and would this mr ply guy ship to melb

Mr Ply are a franchise/chain type store but any kitchen/cabinat maker or many timber supply stores will cut to order. If you are using white melamine then you can buy shelving in various widths that already has the plastic edge on it (can even get all of the white you need at bunnings) you can also buy cupbord ends that are pre drilled to take the little shelf brackets.

I have only run 1 run of cord at the moment and seeing how temps go. My cord was 4m long and 25 watts connected to a habistat 100 thermo - just cause that is what I had in my reptile spares box. I need to get a longer heat cord though as there isn't enough length to do the top shelf.

Cheers
James

Looks good James , will be nice to fill it up i'll bet ;)

If your cord is too short , just use 1 run of cord and it should be fine for that sized tub ..... On a side note , never waste money on 4m cords as they never go far , 7 or 9 are much better and the extra cord you can dangle over the back for added heat ;)

I dont think the shorter cords are a waste of money in the long term. 2 x 15w cords = 8 meters. So you can run 8 meters of cord at 30w. A 6 meter cord runs at 50w and a 9 meter cord runs at 80w. The shorter 4 meter cords cover more area and use less electricity...
My hatchy rack just has a few 15w cords running into a power board. They heat the tubs up fine and I use less electricity than getting the longer cords.

width="98%"
|-
| width="34%" |
15watt - 4.0 metres

| width="31%" |
$20.00 each

|-
| width="34%" |
25watt - 4.3 metres

| width="31%" |
$25.00 each

|-
| width="34%" |
50watt - 6.0 metres

| width="31%" |
$30.00 each

|-
| width="34%" |
80watt - 9.0 metres

| width="31%" |
$35.00 each

|-

I dont think the shorter cords are a waste of money in the long term. 2 x 15w cords = 8 meters. So you can run 8 meters of cord at 30w. A 6 meter cord runs at 50w and a 9 meter cord runs at 80w. The shorter 4 meter cords cover more area and use less electricity...
My hatchy rack just has a few 15w cords running into a power board. They heat the tubs up fine and I use less electricity than getting the longer cords.

width="98%"
|-
| width="34%" |
15watt - 4.0 metres

| width="31%" |
$20.00 each

|-
| width="34%" |
25watt - 4.3 metres

| width="31%" |
$25.00 each

|-
| width="34%" |
50watt - 6.0 metres

| width="31%" |
$30.00 each

|-
| width="34%" |
80watt - 9.0 metres

| width="31%" |
$35.00 each

|-

I am standing by my comment ;)

In theory you are right , but after many years of trial and error and building / selling racks , I found 4m cords just do not heat up well ... I would much prefer to run 1 x 9m cord any day.

I think longer cords are better in the long run.It's good to have a bit of extra wattage available when temps outside start to drop.Also if running the cords through a dimming or pulse thermostat wouldn't that reduce the amount of power used once a set temp was reached?

Have to agree with Dickyknee and Ramsayi as my 4m cord is just over 1m too short :rolleyes: So I am off shopping this arvo for a longer one. For the watts that they use it won't make any differance to the power bill etc if you have a meter hanging off the end not heating anything whereas it is hard to heat tubs that don't have any heat cord under them :rolleyes:

Just a quick question - where abouts do you guys put have the probe for the thermostat sitting?

Cheers
James

Just a quick question - where abouts do you guys put have the probe for the thermostat sitting?

Cheers
James

I route the shelves for the cords and route a bit extra out on one of the middle shelves so the probe can sit directly under the cord.

I agree with Ramsayi.
The shorter cord just don't cut it for heating in some circumstances.
Also, isn't the heat distributed evenly throughout the length of the cord and influenced by resistance?

15 watt x 4 meters = 3.75 watts p/m
25 watt x 4.3 meters = 5.8 watts p/m
50 watt x 6 meters = 8.3 watts p/m
80 watt x 9 meters = 8.8 watts p/m

I get great heat from the 4m cords. Perhaps it's your methods of using them? I use 10mm coreflute shelves, 1200 long. I have to use a thermostat to keep them under 33 degrees. The sparky in me will always go for efficient low wattage. 4 x 15w cords covers 16m at 60w.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 x 15w cords covers 16m at 60w.

i think its more hassles and more problems running 4, i would rather just run one strong 8m one hooked up to a pulse thermostat, but if it works for u them thats great im not gona tell u what do do because its obviously working for u

i think its more hassles and more problems running 4, i would rather just run one strong 8m one hooked up to a pulse thermostat, but if it works for u them thats great im not gona tell u what do do because its obviously working for u
Yeah I can understand that..... I have a power board at the end of the shelf that I plug the cords into. Then the power board is connected to my pulse proportional. The thing I love the most is 10mm coreflute. The stuff is friggin awesome. Holds so much heat and is so easy to set up. Until I got the coreflute I could never get enough heat out of cords.

Both ways have merit I guess.
I picked up a 7m 50w heat cord last night and will fit that this arvo. With the cord in there at the moment (4m one) the tubs that are being heated are comfortably sitting at around 30 at the hot end and 24ish at the cool end so with a bit of tweaking there sould be no dramas running a single run of heat cord (specially with the 7m 50watt cord).

Once I get home I will take some pics of the click clacks all set up with hides and water etc.

Cheers
James

Hi When we did our hatchy rack also we got tape from the hardware shop its about 2 inches thick and about $10 to hold down the heat cord it really helps yours looks great

l have a slightly different take on the heating "control" bit, l run two 8 meter heat cords, one running continuously and the other through a timer, so the 2nd one comes on at 7pm and goes off at 8.00am, this works great for myself The timers are $9.00 in Dicksmiths and if l get the odd cool day l just heat the clock by-pass switch on the timer.
.......solar 17 (Baden)

Hi When we did our hatchy rack also we got tape from the hardware shop its about 2 inches thick and about $10 to hold down the heat cord it really helps yours looks great

I was doing the usual laps round bunnings yesterday and found some aluminium all weather repair tape (flashtack brand?)which should do the job. I have found that when pulling the tubs in and out somethimes they roll the cord out of the groove.

l have a slightly different take on the heating "control" bit, l run two 8 meter heat cords, one running continuously and the other through a timer, so the 2nd one comes on at 7pm and goes off at 8.00am, this works great for myself The timers are $9.00 in Dicksmiths and if l get the odd cool day l just heat the clock by-pass switch on the timer.
.......solar 17 (Baden)
I am always very weary of using heating without any form of control as many years ago I did manage to deform the base of a kritter keeper type tub using a heat cord with no thermostat. For the sake of a few extra $$ it gives me peace of mind that I can set a temp and be fairly certain that it will be fine and constant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back