Do skinks REALLY need u.v?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trogdor1988

Reaction score
Like the title states, i've been hearing different things from different people lately, some say skinks dont need u.v as long as there diet is supplemented, others say there better off with it but then when asked why they have nothing to say, and others say no they definately need it or will die. Now can anyone here give me a straight answer as to whether or not they definately need it to live a healthy life?

Cheers

yes.

google blue tongues and MBD... ive never seen anything so twisted.

I've kept garden skinks with no UV and they seemed fine.

Yeah ive seen blueys like that to, but in most cases there diet was never supplemented for lack of u.v and all.

I will stipulate, swear on a bible and otherwise proclaim that I have raised from young to adult the following species without UV:

Tiliqua nigrolutea, T.occipitalis and Egernia hosmeri

Flame me!

what and how much supplements did you give bob?

*flameless*

I will stipulate, swear on a bible and otherwise proclaim that I have raised from young to adult the following species without UV:

Tiliqua nigrolutea, T.occipitalis and Egernia hosmeri

Flame me!

How dare you speak from personal experience and not do as the almighty Dr Google says:)

Personally I think the whole need for UV idea is a big myth which the lighting companies are making a killing on.

No suppliments, just good tucker.

However I'm also raising some Kimberley Blue tongues this year. The guy I got them from has reported MBD ( dont know if he has them under UV), which a mutual friend ascribed to high temps, and accelerated growth. I'm giving these ones some reptical, as a precaution, just in case they are more susceptible. I have another freind who got MBD in his eastern bluies raised with ample natural UV.
My guess would be that UV is only one small component of a complex relationship between temps, growth rate and diet.

How dare you speak from personal experience and not do as the almighty Dr Google says:)

Personally I think the whole need for UV idea is a big myth which the lighting companies are making a killing on.

Man, dont start.. we will all end up in a big conspiracy theory discussion, because it actually sounds like it is probably true lol.

I don't know about other skinks but blue tongues need UV/sunlight or a calcium supplement. I speak from experience. It allows their bones to form properly, without it they'll slowly die of their deformities.

I've raised and bred (3 years in a row) White's Skinks without UV. Skinks would likely benefit from UV, although it is certainly not essential IMO.

Glenn Shea will tell you Blue Tongues don't need it. I have raised numerous skinks and dragons without UV. Personally, I think I could raise and breed any herp without UV, though every herp would get some benefit from UV, (real UV that is, not the man made rubbish)..but how much benefit, well that depends on how well you look after your animals, how well they are heated and how well you manage stress and keep them eating well. I hardly use powders much either.

well i havent been keeping long enough to try with out so i just go with the majority if most people use u.v. so do i and hay it cant hurt can it.

Do those who raise without artificial UV give them much outside, natural sun time?

No.. and yes. I have been keeping, breeding and raising a variety of Lizards with and without UV for a few years now to see if I can notice any difference... to date I can't say there has been any.... BUT! I will say the amount they benefit all depends on how you keep them..

I've raised and bred skinks without UV, in some cases for consecutive generations. I haven't seen any indication that they benefit from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back