Do you eat Meat or Dairy - if so why?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you eat Meat &/or Dairy

• Habit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tradition

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Convenience

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taste

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • 'Health'

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Other - please list any other reasons

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a huge statement to make & is completely inaccurate.
What do you mean there are no health problems?
What about the leading causes of deaths these days?
Things like cancer & heart disease?
I am not saying meat & dairy are the sole cause of these diseases but they certainly make their fair contribution.

Really you are linking meat to cancer? That's a break through discovery as science has not made any such link.
Also the CSIRO have proven that meat reduces the risk of heart disease (not cause it as you have erroneously suggested, please see > The facts on eating red meat | CSIRO

I feel like I'm talking to a scientologist and as such wont continue to try and educate you as to what is real and what is not. If you cant understand how species evolve around certain food sources then I doubt you will ever grasp the concept of how bad raising a child without meat is.
You have made some blanket statements that make us question your motives and education or lack there of? Don't concern yourself with what others do, I assure you my health is very good on a balanced diet that includes meat. As is that of my ancestors when you consider that they live well into their 90's and more. I'll always go by studies by the likes of the CSIRO over some scaremongering animal rights groups like the ones on youtube. But raised by scientists that's just how I am and view the world.

This is interesting:

WHEN Crown Shakur died of starvation, he was 6 weeks old and weighed 3.5 pounds. His vegan parents, who fed him mainly soy milk and apple juice, were convicted in Atlanta recently of murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty.
This particular calamity — at least the third such conviction of vegan parents in four years — may be largely due to ignorance. But it should prompt frank discussion about nutrition.

I was once a vegan. But well before I became pregnant, I concluded that a vegan pregnancy was irresponsible. You cannot create and nourish a robust baby merely on foods from plants.
Indigenous cuisines offer clues about what humans, naturally omnivorous, need to survive, reproduce and grow: traditional vegetarian diets, as in India, invariably include dairy and eggs for complete protein, essential fats and vitamins. There are no vegan societies for a simple reason: a vegan diet is not adequate in the long run.
Protein deficiency is one danger of a vegan diet for babies. Nutritionists used to speak of proteins as “first class” (from meat, fish, eggs and milk) and “second class” (from plants), but today this is considered denigrating to vegetarians.
The fact remains, though, that humans prefer animal proteins and fats to cereals and tubers, because they contain all the essential amino acids needed for life in the right ratio. This is not true of plant proteins, which are inferior in quantity and quality — even soy.
A vegan diet may lack vitamin B12, found only in animal foods; usable vitamins A and D, found in meat, fish, eggs and butter; and necessary minerals like calcium and zinc. When babies are deprived of all these nutrients, they will suffer from retarded growth, rickets and nerve damage.
Responsible vegan parents know that breast milk is ideal. It contains many necessary components, including cholesterol (which babies use to make nerve cells) and countless immune and growth factors. When breastfeeding isn’t possible, soy milk and fruit juice, even in seemingly sufficient quantities, are not safe substitutes for a quality infant formula.
Yet even a breast-fed baby is at risk. Studies show that vegan breast milk lacks enough docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, the omega-3 fat found in fatty fish. It is difficult to overstate the importance of DHA, vital as it is for eye and brain development.
A vegan diet is equally dangerous for weaned babies and toddlers, who need plenty of protein and calcium. Too often, vegans turn to soy, which actually inhibits growth and reduces absorption of protein and minerals. That’s why health officials in Britain, Canada and other countries express caution about soy for babies. (Not here, though — perhaps because our farm policy is so soy-friendly.)
Historically, diet honored tradition: we ate the foods that our mothers, and their mothers, ate. Now, your neighbor or sibling may be a meat-eater or vegetarian, may ferment his foods or eat them raw. This fragmentation of the American menu reflects admirable diversity and tolerance, but food is more important than fashion. Though it’s not politically correct to say so, all diets are not created equal.
An adult who was well-nourished in utero and in infancy may choose to get by on a vegan diet, but babies are built from protein, calcium, cholesterol and fish oil. Children fed only plants will not get the precious things they need to live and grow.
Nina Planck is the author of “Real Food: What to Eat and Why.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Some inconsistencies here Gecko. You say: "I am not starting this thread to sling off or point the finger at people that do infact eat meat" and "I am not trying to judge you, I am trying to understand you!"
But then this: " The more I look into it the more I learn how bad both meat & dairy is for our health & for me the cruelty that is involved is difficult to overlook." and "have you ever considered changing your diet"

Surely you can see how this comes accross as sounding superior and judgmental?

Brownbird,

I am certainly not trying to come across as superior or judgemental & dont believe that I have been.
As mentioned I have been a meat-eater my whole life until recently & I still eat Dairy, so it would be a little hypocritical of me to be judgmental.

What people eat is their business & is there own personal choice.
I am not forcing anyone to tell me their opinion & I am certainly not forcing anyone to take part in this thread if they don't want to.
I certainly wouldnt expect anyone to be offended by my opinion or the fact I have started a poll to try to understand peoples reasons for eating meat/dairy.

I think when it comes to health issues and meat consumption it is more a matter of the way in which we are consuming such foods, rather than the foods themselves.

I find it hard to believe that a small serving of unprocessed red and/or white meat a couple of times a week, as part of a balanced diet with fruit, veg, legumes, dairy etc. is going to hurt you.

However for many people this is not the way that red meat is consumed, rather it is eaten in excess (often many times a standard serve) amounts almost every day. Further to this, the meat being consumed has been processed, treated with preservatives, washed in ammonia etc. Not to mention that the animal itself may have been fed a diet that it is not designed to eat and digest (i.e. corn), inevitably affecting the nutritional value of the meat.

Now this type of diet i can definitely see causing health issues. However it is vastly different to incorporating meat as part of a balanced diet.

It is an important distinction, imo.

The fact we have done it for so long doesnt make it any better for us.
Times are changing & more people are becoming aware.

The fact we have done it for so long is because that is how we have evolved. We need it to thrive or at least to grow into adults.

- - - Updated - - -

Brownbird,

I am certainly not trying to come across as superior or judgemental & dont believe that I have been.
As mentioned I have been a meat-eater my whole life until recently & I still eat Dairy, so it would be a little hypocritical of me to be judgmental.

What people eat is their business & is there own personal choice.
I am not forcing anyone to tell me their opinion & I am certainly not forcing anyone to take part in this thread if they don't want to.
I certainly wouldnt expect anyone to be offended by my opinion or the fact I have started a poll to try to understand peoples reasons for eating meat/dairy.

You have to understand that people eat meat to be healthy. Though you may believe the opposite, the science is there to back the fact that meat in moderation (like all foods) is good for us. If you want us to give you the agency to believe meat is bad for you. You have to allow others to believe that meat is good for them. It's all part of accepting people for who they are. Anti meat has been around what 100 years? less? While man has been living off meat for how long? 200,000 years of meat eating....

That is a huge statement to make & is completely inaccurate.
What do you mean there are no health problems?
What about the leading causes of deaths these days?
Things like cancer & heart disease?
I am not saying meat & dairy are the sole cause of these diseases but they certainly make their fair contribution.
Can you please show me the study that links meat consumption to cancer, if you do not have anything to prove this fact then I suggest you take down that ridiculous statement.

Can you please show me the study that links meat consumption to cancer, if you do not have anything to prove this fact then I suggest you take down that ridiculous statement.
I think the statement needs to remain. It's statements like that, that we use to consider the credibility and level of knowledge a poster has.

Full disclosure - I'm a meat-eater but in answer to this specific point have a look here: Position statement - Meat and cancer prevention - National Cancer Prevention Policy

"Major cancer prevention reports have stated that there is convincing evidence that red and processed meat increase the risk of bowel cancer."

Granted, everything these days seems to cause cancer but the scientific link is there.

I think when it comes to health issues and meat consumption it is more a matter of the way in which we are consuming such foods, rather than the foods themselves.

I find it hard to believe that a small serving of unprocessed red and/or white meat a couple of times a week, as part of a balanced diet with fruit, veg, legumes, dairy etc. is going to hurt you.

However for many people this is not the way that red meat is consumed, rather it is eaten in excess (often many times a standard serve) amounts almost every day. Further to this, the meat being consumed has been processed, treated with preservatives, washed in ammonia etc. Not to mention that the animal itself may have been fed a diet that it is not designed to eat and digest (i.e. corn), inevitably affecting the nutritional value of the meat.

Now this type of diet i can definitely see causing health issues. However it is vastly different to incorporating meat as part of a balanced diet.

It is an important distinction, imo.
i do agree with you on that.

on average my da eats about 3steaks or 5 sausages a day! No wonder we have a good history of cancer and diabetes in our family!

Full disclosure - I'm a meat-eater but in answer to this specific point have a look here: Position statement - Meat and cancer prevention - National Cancer Prevention Policy

"Major cancer prevention reports have stated that there is convincing evidence that red and processed meat increase the risk of bowel cancer."

Granted, everything these days seems to cause cancer but the scientific link is there.
Just to clarify. You do understand the difference to 'cause' and 'risk' ? The OP stated it as a cause, even cancer council doesn't go as far as calling it a cause. It's not surprising its a risk, and should be eaten in moderation IMO. No doubt all the people who got cancer also drank water at one time in their lives.

- - - Updated - - -

Despite the concerns about meat and cancer, Cancer Council recognises that lean red meat is an important contributor to dietary iron, zinc, vitamin B12 and protein in the Australian diet.

Cancer Council recommends:
moderate consumption of unprocessed lean red meat. A moderate amount of meat is 65–100 g of cooked red meat, 3–4 times a week;
limiting or avoiding processed meats such as sausages, frankfurts, salami, bacon and ham, which are high in fat and salt;
limiting consumption of burnt or charred meat; and
choosing lean cuts of meat and chicken, and eating more fish and plenty of plant based foods such as fruit, vegetables and wholegrain cereals.

Some people do have to eat meat for "Health" reasons. I was vegetarian for 2 months after watching the documentary Earthlings, ended up losing to much weight so I had to start eating chicken every 2nd/3rd night again. I'm 22 and only weigh 41 kg, when I cut out meat than dropped to 37kg even with daily nuts, legumes and a protein supplement.

So some people do have to eat meat for weight/ health reasons :(

Snowman,
Yes, I am saying animal protein is linked to cancer, this has been proven & there is plenty of evidence there if your interested.

I did ask you if you have watched any of the links I attached earlier but clearly you haven't otherwise you wouldnt bother wasting our time with half of your statements.

The links I have posted are very educational & are full of factual evidence & studies proving this on many occasions, they are not 'crazy activists', some of them are Scientists, Doctors, nutritionists etc, dont you think these people would know a little more about what is good for us? I think they may know a little more than you , or I or any Cave man for that matter.

Really? are you linking being vegetarian/vegan to neglecting children?
Babies need their mothers milk, that is the only kind of milk they need.
There is no risk in raising a child without meat or dairy , there are countless sucessful examples of that & I , like yourself am not interested in trying to educate you, you have clearly made up your mind & are comfortable with that, I am not sure why you feel the need to continue to try to 'educate me' I havent asked you to try to educate me on anything.
I have been looking into this long enough not to need your help with this whatsoever.

There is no risk in raising a child without meat or dairy ,

Yes that is why people have been sent to jail over it... Its FACT.

Studies show that vegan breast milk lacks enough docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, the omega-3 fat found in fatty fish. It is difficult to overstate the importance of DHA, vital as it is for eye and brain development.
A vegan diet is equally dangerous for weaned babies and toddlers

I do hope you have already had children. I for one would hate to look at my children if they suffered somehow from a choice I made that affected their development.

Did you see the Documentaries I posted earlier?
All very informative, life changing & worth watching.

Did you see the Documentaries I posted earlier?
All very informative, life changing & worth watching.

I watched a few. But they didn't show any real evidence. I can show you a doco on big foot and that he exists.

I am not denying that it hasnt happened , but really , what is your point?
Obviously there are right & wrong ways of doing things.
Obviously your body needs certain vitamins, minerals & nutrients to survive, but if you are telling me you cant get them elsewhere other then meat then I really can't be bothered wasting more time entertaining your comments.

I am not denying that it hasnt happened , but really , what is your point?
Obviously there are right & wrong ways of doing things.
Obviously your body needs certain vitamins, minerals & nutrients to survive, but if you are telling me you cant get them elsewhere other then meat then I really can't be bothered wasting more time entertaining your comments.
Okay tell be how you get B12 from anything other than meat?

A vegan diet may lack vitamin B12, found only in animal foods; usable vitamins A and D, found in meat, fish, eggs and butter; and necessary minerals like calcium and zinc. When babies are deprived of all these nutrients, they will suffer from retarded growth, rickets and nerve damage

Studies show that vegan breast milk lacks enough docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, the omega-3 fat found in fatty fish. It is difficult to overstate the importance of DHA, vital as it is for eye and brain development.
A vegan diet is equally dangerous for weaned babies and toddlers

I do hope you have already had children. I for one would hate to look at my children if they suffered somehow from a choice I made that affected their development.

I watched a few. But they didn't show any real evidence. I can show you a doco on big foot and that he exists.

Which ones have you watched?
How many studies do you want!?
What kind of evidence do you want?

Which ones have you watched?
How many studies do you want!?
What kind of evidence do you want?

Show me a study that shows vegan breast milk contains enough docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, the omega-3

There is no risk in raising a child without meat or dairy , there are countless sucessful examples of that & I , like yourself am not interested in trying to educate you, you have clearly made up your mind & are comfortable with that, I am not sure why you feel the need to continue to try to 'educate me' I havent asked you to try to educate me on anything.
I have been looking into this long enough not to need your help with this whatsoever.
Vegetarian Meals for Toddlers | Veg Coba
Meat: Not Suitable for Children | Vegetarian
Eat the Baby | Veg Coba

Yep that's the sort of garbage that the people sent to prison fell for too.

- - - Updated - - -

The claim that vegetarians have lower rates of cancer compared to nonvegetarians has been squarely contradicted by a 1994 study comparing vegetarians with the general population.[SUP]14[/SUP] Researchers found that although vegetarian Seventh Day Adventists have the same or slightly lower cancer rates for some sites, for example 91 percent instead of 100 percent for breast cancer, the rates for numerous other cancers are much higher than the general US population standard, especially cancers of the reproductive tract. SDA females had more Hodgkins disease (131 percent), more brain cancer (118 percent), more malignant melanoma (171 percent), more uterine cancer (191 percent), more cervical cancer (180 percent) and more ovarian cancer (129 percent) on average.
According to scientists at the Cancer Research UK Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, “Studies of cancer have not shown clear differences in cancer rates between vegetarians and non vegetarians.”[SUP]15[/SUP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back