Does Pondtite Melt?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, good thinking on the testing... Never trust a salesman 100%. Maybe you should have asked him if he'd pay all vet expenses if it gave off fumes or failed at the temps you're planning on using

Jax I tested it at 40-50 degrees for about a week and it was fine. Then the thermostat stopped working and the heat emitter melted the probe! When I found it it the tile I sealed for the test was too hot to touch and the probe had reset in a pool but there was no sign that the sealant had melted. It probably did though just didn't move as it was on a flat surface.

I'd be more concerned the the thermo stopped working. Back the wattage of the globe off to as low as you can but still get the heat you want Without the thermo

interesting. I used pontite for my walls and havent had any issues, although i have heat coming from the ground and from a light above and not directly on it, its still exposed to pretty high temps though and has been for the past four months. Actually one corner on one tank sits on a slate slab that is directly above the basking spot at 32 degrees and I havent seen anything to suggest it cant withstand the temps. Im just about to start making a few more enclosures though, is the general opinion that pondtite shouldnt be used? because obviously Id rather not risk it in the next ones if there is a known issue with it?

There is no known issue that I'm aware of, but I don't know that I'd be using it for anything other than standard snake basking temps of under 35c. Lizards don't need the same sort of 'liquid barrier' that snakes do, they produce very little urine compared the the average sized carpet snake

I used the Crommelin on my hides last time as Pondtite was not available and it ended up giving off toxic fumes under heat so won't be using it again... and thats after a month of curing... did you have any problems with fumes when you used Crommelin?

There is no known issue that I'm aware of, but I don't know that I'd be using it for anything other than standard snake basking temps of under 35c. Lizards don't need the same sort of 'liquid barrier' that snakes do, they produce very little urine compared the the average sized carpet snake

Oh well in that case I won't bother sealing. thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back