dog food recipes- high protein

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh*

Gone are the days when you could throw a fresh road kill in the back of the ute for the dogs.
Honestly I weep every time I see a freshly skittled wallaby or roo on the road side......all that beautiful meat just going to waste and rotting.

My easy to make recipie:

Ingredients:
2kg Either kangaroo or beef mince (I pref Kangaroo).
1kg bag of Frozen diced veg (no onion!!), Woolies Home Brand is good.
1 litre carton of SALT REDUCED chicken stock.
125 grams of powdered gelatine (in the cake making ingredient aisle).
Five cups of a good quality dry dog food, I use "Hills" Science Diet.

Method:
In a large pot (10 litre to be safe, a bit smaller ok) put in enough water to be approx 2-3 cm deep and heat. Place in minced up meat and brown, the water helps the meat not to burn.
Once the meat is sufficiently browned, add the chicken stock and diced vegetables, and bring to a slight boil.
Add the dry dog food, keep stirring to stop anything burning on the bottom of the pot.
Meanwhile in a small saucepan bring a small amount of water to the boil (must be boiling), slowly add the gelatine powder and try to disolve in the boiling water (tricky job but don't stress about chunks of undisolved stuff).
Add gelatine to big pot and stir, keep the heat on for a while and ensure the meat is cooked through.
Leave pot to cool for two hours, stirring occaisionally as the dry food will be soaking up fluid.
Evenly distribute the mix into two 3L icecream tubs (makes apporx 6L total), leave the lids off till cold.
Freeze one and keep the other in the fridge. The frozen one will defrost in the fridge in two nights.
Feed to dog as required, I give my dog a few scoops of the loaf mix with some dry food. More dry food than loaf.

Last edited:
*sigh*

Gone are the days when you could throw a fresh road kill in the back of the ute for the dogs.
Honestly I weep every time I see a freshly skittled wallaby or roo on the road side......all that beautiful meat just going to waste and rotting.

what do u mean gone are the days lol my dogs get this all the time tho not interested in the last one i give em this morning cos they are still in the process of buring bits of the calf i fed them last week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back