Dog food recipes!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Aussie Bulldog gets

1kg of roo mince (human grade)
1kg of mince chicken
1kg of frozen vegies (no onion no broccoli)
300g of cooked rissoni (filler for carbs so optional or change to pasta if preferable)
3 tins of sardines in oil (olive oil)
2 table spoons of garlic
60 ml of flaxseed oil.

Mix all together properly with food processor or by hand.
Batch up into 200g servings
Feed with dog kibble of choice

My dog has food allergies so he has to have dry food from the vet. $120 for a 5kg bag. Dearer than a bag of prawns

Yeah I have 2 sharp-peis, and known to be less protein tollerant than other breeds they get premium dry dog food, usually chicken or fish based.

They don't get people food so they don't know what people food is. They get dog treats, raw bones, greenies toothbrush things etc.

Our dogs are spoilt. But basically unless you give them special (people) food, they don't know what it is and they wont want it. They're dogs, they eat dog food.

LOL.. royal canin.

your probably the one who pronounces it canine anyway.

if you want to know whats in your dog food. look at the ingrediants. Hill Science diet IMO has one of the worst ingrediant lists of all premium foods. full of fillers, and cerials.. CORN? they put them in as carbs but they admit its filler.

Go EaglePack Holistic!!!

troy where do u buy ur roo meat from in adel? i use to get mine down the rd and now it closed nto many places around here sell it at the moment
i hate the smell of the stuff but doogie loves it and roo bones he goes nuts for them!

and thats sad about ur dog mrfeud whats it alergic too? has it been like it its whole life?

my dogs are working pig dogs but also my best mates.. dont want any crap put on me bout hunting just sharing my diet as i have a very strong bond with my mutts and love em almost like my son..;)

they get a good working dog kibble and faramo vitamins (ghound vitamins aids in muscle recovery) with pig, roo, or goat meat nearly every day..as well as a whole chopped up carrot and raw egg once a wk (carrots vitamins are well used by dogs) and occasionally mackeral fish in oil for a meal.. they also get pig legs with the hair and bones etc which is important for a dog to consume skin, hair etc and they also get raw cow shin bones bout once a wk too... bout every fortnight they get a bone only starve day, which is important to any dog as if they were in the wild.. approx 80% of dogs getting around are obese..

love some of the other diets on this thread good to see pple looking after their animals..

cheers tonks

God there's a lot of plant matter going into these recipes! Furhtermore, most of them sound so good I would eat them! Chicken and roo mince, garlic, veges and pasta? Yes please.

eww phil i wouldnt eat roo meat if u paid me that stuff makes me wana yack just the smell of it lol!
i love giving it to my dog tho lol coz i no its healthy and he loves the stuff

is that one of ur doggies in ur pic tonk? what sort of dog is it? looks beautiful! sounds like ur dogs get a good diet too!

premium dry dog food is it for my dogs too. pig ears, RAW MEATY bones (lol when i studied animal science the lady used to yell RAW MEATY BONES!!!), chicken carcasses are some of the treats mine get.
my grandmas little dogs are just like your dog. spoilt rotten to only eat what they want to eat. but they now live next door to us and they eat what I WANT THEM TO EAT!! dry dog food and thats it. if they don't eat what i tell them then they starve.
End of story.
Don't let your dog walk all over you and make you cook it food. in all honesty if dogs were in the wild would they be cooking their food? give your dog meaty brisket bones, chicken carcasses for their meat part of it, and dry dog biscuits.
dogs are carnivores. they eat meat (bones included). they do not run around in the wild cooking up mince, pasta and vegies.
just as you feed snakes their natural food, so should you feed your dog the same.
oh man i feel like a nazi, but I try and help out as many people as I can regarding their dogs diets. At my obedience club I am the go to lady. :-D lol

I agree nearly. Some of the super premium foods on the market believe dogs are herbavours eg(hills science diet) using the main ingredient of corn in most of there foods. But my pick is eukanuba which I believe is the best on the market. How can you mesure how much omega 3 and 6 , Glucosamine protein and calcium are in the food if you make them up yourself. Any food like hills, eukanuba, Advance, plo plan, royal canin and nutra will be much better than making your own. Nutro is the newest premium food on the market and is organic (made in australia). Things Like calcium have to be carefully watched when giving to dogs for strong bone growth. If Anyone has seen a large breed dog fed on too much calcium they will know what I am talking about. Large breed premium dry foods have less calcium in them to slow the bone growth and help with joint problems later in life. I have seen dogs fed on large amounts of chicken frames have very bent legs at the age of 12 months. Cheers Jarrod

Forgot to add I costs me 85c each a day to feed my staffys on eukanuba

i buy chicken frame mince from leonards. cost me $1 a kilo. has the liver still in it when they mince it. i cook that up with rice and veges. stinks like anything but our boys love it. cheap and healthy, can't beat that!!!

LOL.. royal canin.

???

Do I sense a hair up there? or did you not mean for that to come across a tad rude?

The people who put us onto RC bred one of our boxers. They have both been international all breeds show judges for around 40 years. They judge all over Aus, in the UK, US, Middle East, Asia, Canada, and also judge at Westminster.

They have been breeding the best boxers in Aus for 35 years, and have found RC to be the best dry food for boxers.
As anyone with boxers knows, they will suck down their kibble and will be lucky if a tooth actually goes through a few pieces of it! This means the pieces go down whole and the dog does not get the best out of his food.

This is why canin have a boxer specific food in very large pieces which the dog is forced tto chew - which is also good for the teeth.

The amount of canin required for a dog to recieve all the nutrition it needs is tiny! If you took out the corn, or as you say, filler, they would have empty feeling tummies,, and a tiny handfull of food in their bowl.

We tried it on our elderly boxer who has suffered ulcerative colitis for years, and who has not been able to eat ANY type of packaged dog food, wet or dry, for over 5 years.
I gave him just a handful first.. no runs! Then I tried a cup full...no runs!
I was so shocked, I thought Id just try a bowl full, and see what happens, NO RUNS!!

Bones should be available to dogs at all times. Not only are they good for their teeth - they're fun too!

Cheers.

In some situations this is not good advice. If you have 2 (or more) dogs left alone in a confined area, I wouldn't leave bones out. Dominant dogs can become very aggro when they have a bone and submissive dogs can spend their time living in fear. It is best to only give bones to 2 dogs if they have enough space to avoid each other completely if there is any conflict. And enough space for the submissive dog to find a comfortable spot to stay away from the dominant dog if they feel threatened.

I'm no expert, but my dogs don't get along when bones are around and one of them is nervous as hell if the other dog is close by with a bone and she doesn't have an escape route. I would not leave bones with them unsupervised if I didn't have a big back yard.

As for recipes -
1. open bag of "supercoat"
2. give food to dogs.
Too easy!

if theyre fussy the best thing you can give them is the stock standard chicken/rice/veggie mix. and if you want them to start eating 'normal' dogfood as well, try something like Hills Science Diet, its great for them and there are so many different types to suit your dog. If they have a weak stomach (could be the reason why your dog is fussy..??) try them on something like Hill Science Diet I/D food.

LOL.. royal canin.

if you want to know whats in your dog food. look at the ingrediants. Hill Science diet IMO has one of the worst ingrediant lists of all premium foods. full of fillers, and cerials.. CORN? they put them in as carbs but they admit its filler.

Go EaglePack Holistic!!!

oh and btw kirby...if you ask your vet you will probably find that Science Diet is one of the main foods they recommend.

and also...to anyone who gives their dogs sausages, hamburger meat, etc (like chucking them the extra sausage from your BBQ) STOP! it is so easy to give your dog gastro from this as they dont tolerate fat the way humans do. and not only is gastro gross, it makes them very sick and they will be out of action for quite a while.

hey missllama yeah hes my big boy Arnie, hes a Bull Arab x Mastiff/Wolfhound.. hes a big sook bout 4 and half now been my best mate since he was 10wks old..

My dogs get chicken carcasses, chicken mince (which is made from the carcasses & the livers etc all minced up) dry food ad lib ( I get the vegie, grains one from Pedigree), leftover kid's vegies and sheep necks when available. They also get whole, plucked & cleaned chooks when we do a cull. I don't cook their food (although sometimes the microwave does over thaw it, lol. Is there a valid reason for cooking food other than offal?) Aragorn gets roo occasionally but Dana wont eat it. I give them canned cat food, the Seafood Platter one, maybe once or twice a month. They both scrounge around the backyard for any eggs that the chooks have thoughtfully left for them too! Not something I encourage though cos their farts are DISGUSTING!!!!!lol.
I agree with Christo re bones. I give my dogs bones but ONLY when I am home for the day as Aragorn can get a bit nuts when he has a bone. They get cow bones when we can get them especially the thigh bone cut in half length way. And bones should NEVER be cooked. They splinter and cause choking & death. My o/h lost his best showdog that way when a visitor gave him a chop bone! It's something he said he will never forget, it was so distressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back