Dog food recipes!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh and btw kirby...if you ask your vet you will probably find that Science Diet is one of the main foods they recommend.

and also...to anyone who gives their dogs sausages, hamburger meat, etc (like chucking them the extra sausage from your BBQ) STOP! it is so easy to give your dog gastro from this as they dont tolerate fat the way humans do. and not only is gastro gross, it makes them very sick and they will be out of action for quite a while.
Actually, (Don't mean to offend anyone here), but Science Diet is full of fillers, which is pretty bad for your dog, Apparently, Vets don't learn that much about whats in different brands of foods, and they are paid to recommend Science Diet. I agree with the No sausage meat etc, I only give that to my dog once a year - if that (how often we have Barbeques).

I used to have a Husky and we wanted him to be a musher :lol:

So we made him up special meals to make him build up some muscle and to make him stay very healthy, Dont quote me on this,but I think this is what we did:

1. Boil some water
2. Add some pasta
3. Add 2 eggs.
4. Add a couple of diced vegies
5. Add some minced wet dog food
6. Stir it all up
7. Take it out and then try to drain it, shove it in the freezer, then when you want to use it, simply take it out, sit it on the bench and defrost it - I think.:)

My dog gets tin dog food (whatever gets brand gets bought) and a cup or two of dry biscuits. And sometimes the leftovers, whenever we have something that he might like.

never EVER give your dog chicken bones! i repeat NEVER! they can spilter in their throat and kill them! please please never give your dog chicken unless its completely free from bones, especially cookeed ones (they splinter even more easily than raw ones).

miss kaos i have never had a problem with raw chicken necks or anything... i know u dont cook chicken bones etc and give them to ur dogs because they splinter but i have never known them to be a problem raw? apart from the horrible farts u have to put up with later... lol

miss kaos i have never had a problem with raw chicken necks or anything... i know u dont cook chicken bones etc and give them to ur dogs because they splinter but i have never known them to be a problem raw? apart from the horrible farts u have to put up with later... lol
no sorry chicken necks seem to be fine, both from personal experience and vet's opinion, but yes i have heard of raw chicken bones splintering, and have seen cooked chicken bones splinter.

dogs digest and extract nurients differently to humans from their foods for energy dogs need fat.. eg fatty meat or fat offcuts from the butchers, this doesnt make them fat as they braek it down for energy and stamina.. its like the equivalent of giving us pasta and rice, its a slow buring energy source for us..

dogs dont use pasta and rice like we do its mainly just a filler for them

jmo tonks

Actually, (Don't mean to offend anyone here), but Science Diet is full of fillers, which is pretty bad for your dog, Apparently, Vets don't learn that much about whats in different brands of foods, and they are paid to recommend Science Diet. I agree with the No sausage meat etc, I only give that to my dog once a year - if that (how often we have Barbeques).

lol...i AM one of those people that sell and recommend science diet. And yes we do know what is in the food and i wouldnt make such sweeping statements like that. Vets and vet nurses do actually care about the animals and dont just sell things in a business point of view as it is unethical. Most dog foods you will find are FULL of fillers and you will find that Science Diet is one of the better ones. Also, because it has such a range for all ages, sizes and specific conditions of dogs and cats then you are bound to find something that agrees with your pet. And if you hate Science Diet that much then try Eukenaba.

All the super premium foods we sell eg euk, science diet have 0% fillers. Advance has 60% chicken in it and the others are close to that. Science diet uses corn as a main ingredient in most of there foods. Most premium foods have corn in them for long lasting energy for the dogs. If you sell these foods sarah24 I sugest you go and do all the training co****s on them. I have been specializing in dog nutrition for a fair while now and have done all the training co****s on the super premium food and can say there is 0% fillers in most of the top end food. My personal pick is eukanuba and feed my staffys on it. Cheers Jarrod

It isnt me in particular who sells it, its the vets i work with and my bosses, im just one of the nurses...lol...but basically im with you jay76, i would pick eukanuba (which i spelt competely wrong before :p) and science diet which is what i feed my dog. I understand that corn is a main ingredient in the Science diet food but i think that is something many consider a filler on this forum (?? just guessing)
other things such as pasta and rice are also considered fillers apparently and you will also find that as a substantial part of a lot of leading brands...so i guess you could say there are fillers in good brands but it depends on what you consider a filler but that doesnt make the brand bad for your dog.

P.S Jay76, i dont usually work reception at the vet that i work at so am often not 'talking up' products to customers, im pretty sure i will be doing a lot of reception next year though and when that happens there are compulsary courses that us nurses must take.

P.P.S. lol sorry everyone...i get the feeling this post makes no sense at all but i think you get the idea

Fillers that you find in cheap foods are things like cereal, that the dog does not get anything out of and just poo out. If the food is good for a dog it will only poo once a day, should be no smell to it and should be firm Cheers Jarrod

Actually, (Don't mean to offend anyone here), but Science Diet is full of fillers, which is pretty bad for your dog, Apparently, Vets don't learn that much about whats in different brands of foods, and they are paid to recommend Science Diet.
What a load of rubbish.. we did an entire nutrition subject last year where we learnt exactly what is needed in a dog food. Then we did a HUGE assignment where we compared many different type of dog foods, and analysed all their contents. Don't make such an uneducated statement in future - how would you know what vets learn? Unless you are a vet... or involved somehow in setting up the vet school curriculums.

As for filler - so what? Everybody's home made recipes contain a whole lot of fillers too.. In fact almost every single recipe so far has had them. Why is it so bad a company includes fillers?

Hahaha I don't remember Miss, sorry.. When I study I have a "Learn & Flush" method... I cram like crazy and know everything, and a month later I forget evvvverrrything!

From memory though, there was no real surprises. All the well known good foods are good - Hill's, Eukanuba etc are good. Advantage is pretty good too. The Coles variety - like Purina - are rubbish

Fillers that you find in cheap foods are things like cereal, that the dog does not get anything out of and just poo out. If the food is good for a dog it will only poo once a day, should be no smell to it and should be firm Cheers Jarrod

No smell to it? Are you serious? Maybe you are mistaking rocks for dog poos.

My dog recipe was all the crap out of the fridge. Devon, steak, chicken, chicken necks, bacon etc etc then canned stuff like spaghetti, noodles, pasta, cereal, rice etc etc, all together in a giant stew pot, boil and add veggies and a couple cans of dog food, and then to suck up excess water i put dry dog bikkies in the mix.

Big disgusting sludge, but they loved it. Now im too lazy and its a can, scraps and a whole bag of dry food outside at all times.

P4150078.jpg

thats how i feed my dog every night :lol:

We use to give my dog bones but she has been put off them ever since she bit off a chunk and it ripped her stomache... blood was comming out for days, everywere :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back