Dog with very sensitive skin.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
almost all of your options have already been outlined. i definitely recommend changing to a natural diet, without beef, wash with aloveen shampoo and use the leave in conditioner. ask your vet about prescrition diets from Hills and Royal Canin, supplement with oily fish like salmon, mackeral and sardines. flea allergy dermatitis could be the root, or it could be a bacterial or fungal irritation that washes like Phyohex and Malaseb can help with. and as has already been said you can have your vet prescribe anti-histamines for allergies :)

good luck!

I use ivamectin (spelling?) weekly for my dog. It does most parasites including biting lice which are a big problem out in these communities.

I agree with this, avoid any kind of red meat or preservatives.

Make sure you dog hasn't got fleas, being treated once every month with frontline or advantage is the only way to insure they arn't breeding on your dog. The flea treatment you buy at the supermarkets (the cheap stuff) doesn't work, waste of money.

Make sure your groomer or whoever is bathing the dog is not leaving ANY shampoo on the dogs coat, being a dog groomer i often wash off excess shampoo from my customers who's owners decide it's a good idea to give their dog a bath in between visits. Imagine having shampoo in your hair, it would drive you mad.

Everyone has mentioned the diet thing so i won't bother going over that again but putting a tablespoon of vegetable oil in your dogs dinner a few nights a week can work wonders for him/her if dry skin is an issue.

Grass allergies are common, and there will be a different solution for every dog but i advise looking for a pet bowen therapist in your area and paying them a visit, they can tell you exactly what is causing the allergy and what you can do to prevent it. I know there was a good one in Melbourne, i've got their card somewhere.

Bad breeding is also a possibility.

the only thing i will mention, is make sure he hasnt scratched himself red raw,as you may then get secondary bacterial or fungal infections which make them more itchy and so the cycle continues. also as mentioned one flea bite can have them scratching for weeks. and if the scratching is bad, then get him treated. im you can imagine how terrible it would be to be that itchy and sore. some of the drugs can be nasty long term but if you use one injection to take away the itch for a week and one to cover bacteria for a week and then you fix everything you can, a diet like Hills Z/d, some soothing oatmeal baths and stay away from as many other allagens that you can, you should be sweet. theres a massive list of what your dog could be allergic to, it might be fleas or it might be grass, or potato or red meat proteins. only way to mark out diet is to use z/d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back