dogs that wont dig up backyards?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shonfield

ok so basically i have been trying to convince my parents to let me get a snake for about a month

but my mum has a very annoying phobia of them

iv also wanted a dog since i was about 6 and my dad now says i can get one if it doesn't dig up the back yard.

so im wondering if theres any dogs that dont have tenancy to dig?
or if theres any way i can easily train a dog not to dig?

also if anyone has any ideas of how to get my mum over her phobia please share :)

thanks,
sam

You can cross beagle off your list.

Damn dog.....my backyard is a moon scape.. he will dig a hole about 1m wide by about 500deep overnight just in the lawn

hehe I guess it depends on which you want more.. a dog or a snake. You might find youll have your hands full with just one at a time. I dont think theres any way you can make your mum get over her phobia, its sort of up to her. Maybe if you asked her why she doesnt like them, then if she says "they bite all the time" try research a species that isnt as cranky as the others. I dont know, personally I prefer lizards.

Easiest way to get a dog that wont dig is to go to the RSPCA and get one "pre-trained" I guess.
Dogs mainly dig out of boredom, I dont think theres such a thing as a dog who doesnt have any tendencies towards digging, its just a natural thing. Terriers especially like to dig though. I know my poodle (miniature) doesnt ever dig, not even at the beach. But not many people like poodles... soo I'm not sure.

When my dogs dig i put his crap on the hole and it stopped him digging. Dont ask why lol

yeah thats pretty much everything i had in my mind tirilia

my mum thinks the snake is going to escape and kill her (even though i told her its a 1m childrens)

and do the rspca have lots of pre-trained dogs?

thanks,
sam

When my dogs dig i put his crap on the hole and it stopped him digging. Dont ask why lol

haha
well i spose that could be an option

also has anyone tried that thing where you spray a water and vinegar mix in their face when they dig? i just heard it in another thread the other day and wondered if it could work?

thanks,
sam

I think they do. All dogs that the RSPCA put up for adoption have to pass a character test. They should be able to tell you which dog does or doesnt do and how they react to things.. Eg an aggressive or misbehaving or chewing dog wont ever be put up for adoption.

See if she'll go to a reptile shop with you, find an absolute expert of a handler (preferably one who keeps the snake species themselves), and have a list of questions that you and your mum can ask together, like.. "do they bite a lot?" "are they poisonous?" "how can we make an enclosure that is inescapable?" "are they difficult to look after?" "how big will they get?" "what do they eat" .. etc, you get the picture.. just ease some of your mums concerns.. I doubt she'll ever like the snake, but she may be less concerned.. mums tend to worry a lot and appreciate it when you give them lots of information so they can feel more at ease.

"also has anyone tried that thing where you spray a water and vinegar mix in their face when they dig? i just heard it in another thread the other day and wondered if it could work?"

Edit: That works yea, only on some dogs though. The problem with that is that you have to catch the dog digging Every Time. You cant ever punish a dog for something it did over a minute ago, they just wont make the connection. You always have to catch the dog doing the deed or the punishment wont have any affect at all.

There isnt a certain breed of dog you can get that wont dig. ;)

Dogs dig out of boredom, not because of anything else. So you need to get a dog that will suit your lifestyle. If you are going to leave any dog in the backyard all day, without company or stimulation, it will not only dig, but probably bark and chew things it isnt supposed to as well.

So, you need to think about whether the dog will be inside, outside, how much training you will do with the dog, how often the dog is walked, whether you want a long haired dog (do you have time for grooming daily etc?). Also, big, small, etc, all comes into the decision.,

Most of the working breeds such as Border Collies, Pointers, German Shepherds, Rotties etc, plus the very active ones like Fox Terriers, Jack Russells etc, dont fit a lot of lifestyles. Same goes for the small white fluffies.

I would go for an older dog, preferably one that is with a rescue group (they have experienced foster carers that will know the personality of the dog) so they can find a dog that is suitable for your lifestyle.

What area are you in? I can give you a couple of links to foster groups in your area if you like. :)

Also, please dont spray your dog with a vinegar and water mix, especially in the face. :shock:

Have you ever got vinegar in your eyes? Ouch.!!

Proper training and discipline, plus working out why a dog is doing something wrong is much more effective.

im in newtown in inner west sydney
iv just been looking at the dogs on the rspca website for the yagoona shelter
are there many other adoption places or places like rspca in sydney?
if there are please link
thanks,
sam

yeah thats the site i was looking at before
unfortunaly there is only one shelter within reasonably distance to my house
but they still seem to have some nice looking and sounding dogs :)
now iv just got to convince my dad to let me get one lol
thanks,
sam

Digging is a behavioural thing. You can try the RSPCA or if you get a puppy, just make sure you train the animal well. Otherwise you will get a ball lickinng, shi.t sniffing, leg cocking one verything digger just like my staffy. I still love him but when he digs up hyacinths and replants them all over the yard it can make things really interesting ;)

The best way to stop a dog from digging, is to keep it amused, bored dogs dig, bark and a whole other host of bad habits. Make sure you take them for regular walks, or play with them a lot, and buy them a Kong or something similar so when you aren't home they can keep themselves busy.

Most bad animal behaviours come from bad people behaviours :)

I know it might sound crazy but try a greyhound. I also live in Newtown and have two (one I foster) in a terrace house. They are great dogs that actually do not require a lot of exercise and prefer to sleep! They also do not tend to bark and are actually the easist dog to own. They do not tend to destroy things (of course every dog has a different prersonality). I have attached a picture of they greyhound I foster (she is up for adoption - look on www.petrescue.com.au or www.dabs.org.au for full profile) If you or your parents have any questions feel free to ask, as greyhounds really do make great pets!

Attachments

• cassie5.jpg
    cassie5.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 75
i love chihuahua's to small to jump up and their business is also small when toilet training, and when they do dig it is minimal very faithful, smart companion also highly inteligent breed. barking is minimal they have the rep to be barker's. Rspca is a great idea plenty of dogs on dog rescue small breeds available as well. happy hunting.

All dogs may dig out of boredom. Seabat's idea of a greyhound is good. Plenty of dogs in rescue with great temperaments. They will, however, chase anything small and fluffy. Sorry Kandi, but 've met too many nasty chihuahuas. There is the advantage of smaller messes, however.

To help with getting a snake, point out that dogs generally poo twice a day, while a snake may do this only once a week (or less!). Dogs must be cared for and walked every day if you go on holidays. Snakes just need someone to check the temperature and water every few days because they can easily go a couple of weeks without a feed. Pet dogs kill and injure many more people than pet snakes.

Get you mother to take you to the Castle Hill reptile show. She'll either get paralytic with fear or come out of it interested in herps and with a better idea of what species there are. Good luck!

GET A STUFFED DOG FROM ANY TOY STORE.......:lol:...........AND RUBBER SNAKE TOO and mum will be happy and you get what you want :)........RBB

im in newtown in inner west sydney

Sam, your the only person I''ve ever heard call Newtown "Inner West" ;).

Like the others said, digging is from boredom. In newtown you'll have a tiny back yard so definitely avoid working dogs and terriers (and basically anything that is high energy). If you like them, little toy fluffy dogs (Maltese X?) might be suited. They'll happily sit on the couch with you all day. (and they do little craps).

Never spray anything containing vinegar anywhere near its eyes (vinegar is an ACID!). If you plan on using spray for training, just use plain ole water and say in a firm voice "No". It will get the message across and wont hurt the hound :). Shouldn't take long and you wont need the water at any more.

Hope that helps
Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back