Dogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go for a rescued dog for the cross breeds, as said they have had all the tests, and without profit in mind and I have never met a bad natured dog that came from a shelter. We have a Rottie x Border Collie from the pet shop and I am pretty sure I will say goodbye to her in the vets one day:cry:. However my other dog is a Kelpie x we brought from a private seller (not breeder) for $20 and apart from being a top little dog, he's never had any health issues.

We are going to get smaller dogs when ours go, at the moment the kids and my wife like the Cavalier King Charles. I am not overly fussed. Love dogs, just a bit like lana, would proberbly take em all if I could.

Purebred with papers for me. Because I like to know the full history of the dog. This wouldn't stop me taking a rescue if it were right for us (eg size, temperament, fur etc.) but when purchasing a purebred, I know exactly what I am getting myself in for, with size, exercise requirements etc.

I like to thoroughly research before I purchase any animal, and IMO you can know more when you know the breed. EG I have had my toy poodle, Alice, for 17 years, since I was 8 years old. She is tiny, low-allergy, low exercise, doesn't bark, very smart etc., and that was a perfect choice for a young girl's first dog.

After Alice, we plan on getting a Doberman and a Boston Terrier. We will thoroughly research both regarding the best breeders and bloodlines.

Attachments

• Alice3.JPG
    Alice3.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 43
I have a mix of Ridge back x rottie and she is amazing, we now would love a pure Ridgeback as we love our girl but we are searching the pounds first!! Oh and rescue places... We bought our girl from a pet shop and I wish we didn't (that sounds terrible) there are so many other dogs that need homes in shelters and not in petshops.. we were young and wanted a dog!!! and she was there...

Attachments

• old memory card 304size.jpg
    old memory card 304size.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 31
I'd consider buying a wolf & not bother with another mongrel, hybrid or inbred & crossed over linebred dog with inherent problems & shortened lifespan, coz lets face it, thats just bad to destroy the original wild lineage isnt it !;)

Purebred with papers for me. Because I like to know the full history of the dog. This wouldn't stop me taking a rescue if it were right for us (eg size, temperament, fur etc.) but when purchasing a purebred, I know exactly what I am getting myself in for, with size, exercise requirements etc.

I can see both sides of this argument. I love the idea of rescuing a dog from the pound, but I've heard stories from loads of people who bring home a "cocker spaniel x Labrador" which grown to the size of a small horse or turns out to be half Border Collie and needs to be exercised for 3 hours each day!

As a responsible pet owner, I like to be very sure that my pet will suit my lifestyle (smallish yard, not the end of the world if they miss a day of walks etc). It is also essential that they be a good family dog as I certainly don't want a dog that I can't trust around my daughter. Another element is the "abused dog" thing. Many rescue dogs are timid or otherwise affected by being mistreated before being rescued. I need a dog that I can take to the park or playground where I don't need to be too concerned about it's behaviour around other dogs/people etc.

That said, we did all our research and decided on a Chocolate Labrador when we chose a dog 5 years ago. We researched breeders, breed-specific flaws etc and found a breeder that had a great history of good hip and elbow scores. She has all her papers and we even considered showing her as she is a stunning example of her breed.

Not long after we brought our puppy home we found out that she had a congenital condition which causes her to regurgutate her food. Three of the other pups in the litter had this condition as well and had to be euthanased. Our dog is now 4 and gorgeous, smart and lovely to be around, but this condition means we need to feed her 6-8 small meals per day of premium food, soaked in hot water to soften it. She has to eat standing on a step to help the food go down and cannot eat any scraps, biscuits etc. She still has stages when she regurgitates her food (ie after too much swimming) but we just deal with it now. It will probably shorten her life (aspiration pneumonia is always a worry) but we will have had many years with the gentlest, most loving dog imaginable.

AMERICAN BULLDOG all the way!

Mate i got my first AB and he was just fantastic and so we fell in love with the breed and now own 3 . 1 male and 2 females and we have 2 kids under 3 that ride on there backs, throw sand all over them , hit them, jump on them and they dont batter an eye lid.
Tough as nails, ideal gaurd dog, placid with the family and will defend you with there own life and with limited requirements and not many problems at all with the breed.
Couple of pics of our boy and a 7mth female and some recent editions at 5 weeks yesterday.

Attachments

• 01032009 020.JPG
    01032009 020.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 40
  • dogsnakesandfamilypics 044.JPG
    dogsnakesandfamilypics 044.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Sarge with Opal again at 8mths.JPG
    Sarge with Opal again at 8mths.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 41
Yeah I have heard nothing but good things about ABs, especially as family dogs. Plus, I think Jack in Little House on the Prairie was an AB?

i got a dalmation x staffy x shei pei(rolly dog)
i bought from pet shop mainly cos he looked funny haha
he is a got dog bit stupid haha but learning

Beautiful Dogs everyone.:)
A couple of years ago we purchased a death row dog from the RSPCA.She was a staffy who had just recently had a litter.As she was 9 years old then and badly needed a home.We fell in love with her and have had her for four years now :). She is a fantastic Dog and im so happy we could give her a loving home to live out the rest of her life with us together.I also love the variety you can have in cross breeds some of the most awesome looking Dogs I have seen & owned :) But I also love some purebred breeds for their looks and general temprements.
I think the ultimate would be if you have the time ,space, and money would be to have both a shelter Dog and also a purebred with papers.jmo

i would never buy a dog from a pet shop. Pet shops are the no.1 customer of backyard breeders and puppy farmers. Id buy a purebred from a registered breeder or id rescue one from a shelter.

I chose purebred chihuahua the one and only reason is i wanted small and guaranteed small.

IM happy with either cross or pure. I just got a dog which i saved from going to the pound!!
here she is. her names storm and shes an American bulldog X Bullarab
P050309_1532.jpg

P050309_153202.jpg

I'd consider buying a wolf & not bother with another mongrel, hybrid or inbred & crossed over linebred dog with inherent problems & shortened lifespan, coz lets face it, thats just bad to destroy the original wild lineage isnt it !;)

I agree, though I much prefer a couple African Painted's myself. I'm just not sure how they would be with the kids? and am having trouble finding a reputable breeder around Sydney.

I agree, though I much prefer a couple African Painted's myself. I'm just not sure how they would be with the kids? and am having trouble finding a reputable breeder around Sydney.

Excellent choice, does look a bit of a "wing nut" with those huge ears tho ! Have you tried these guys .....Pm me if you want their number;)
y1pUMwzGePo1WXCqMLf1X0Vtinp7CAlqViNpWO-PqfJVs0kkHitSheit7oSuCldobkCGHbFRhhLhts

Every time i try to buy a wolf here..... they keep bleeting on about seeing some dwa thingy

i would go for a cross breed, the breeds of which i know the characters and requirements. but by getting c cross breed you can generally avoid the problems associated with pures like hip and back problems, eye problems, respiratory etc. i would also get one from a rescue/shelter as you cannot afford to encourage backyard breeders/pet shops/give aways and irresponsible owners who dont have their aniamls sterilised. :) good thread!

but by getting c cross breed you can generally avoid the problems associated with pures like hip and back problems, eye problems, respiratory etc.

Plenty of cross-breed dogs suffer from hip, back, eye and respiratory problems. 'Hybrid vigour' in dogs is a myth.

An ethical registered breeder will conduct health testing on their breeding stock in order to avoid problems such as these.
Keep in mind, too, that not all registered breeders are ethical. It really pays to do your research :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back