Dogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were I to buy a dog now, I would definitely go to the local animal shelter. Once there, would look along the rows of dogs, read the information about each, and take home a dog I wanted that had been discarded by someone else, and could have been destined to die.

There are so very many beautiful, and good dogs just going to waste in these shelters, all of whom would appreciate the chance at life and a loving family to care for it.

noticed the choker chain, i use them for walking etc, but then take them off when we get home, otherwise they can get caught on things and maybe hurt your dog.JMO. NOT HAVING A GO AT YOU:)
cheers:)

IM happy with either cross or pure. I just got a dog which i saved from going to the pound!!
here she is. her names storm and shes an American bulldog X Bullarab
P050309_1532.jpg

P050309_153202.jpg

Yes, choker chains should always be taken off unless out walking.

There was talk over here about trying to get choke chains banned, there has been cases where dogs have been found strangled by them & a few (how can i put it !?) over enthusiastic owners have caused damage to the dog by pulling too hard.....infact most you see here for sale now have a limiter on them so they can only be pulled slightly tight, apparently its the noise of the chains rubbing together that grabs the dogs attention, not the lack of oxygen that follows after!;)

No such thing as an English Staffy. I'm guessing you mean Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

i say pure bred dont really like xbred and a breeder or shelter and with papers sp u no everything about the dog and wat its done parents ect ect and puppies are better as u teach/train the stuff u want it and dont want it to do but u will sometimes get a good bred dog thats trained and i recommend a border collie or a lab there both the best dogs i have both

animal shelter for sure. id probably go for the uglyest one there knowing no1 else would want it

I prefer purebreds with papers so you know its the real deal and worth the money you pay. Here are some pics of my two Shepherds I got with papers, both are female Jackie was 900 and Heidi was 1200. They were both purchased from two diffrent private sellers. Very well behaved and loyal.

Jackie then.
Image017.jpg

Heidi then
DSCF1456.jpg

Jackie now at 18months
DSCF1010.jpg

Hedi now at 4 months
DSCF1525.jpg

Thankyou. Yeah Heidi didnt turn out as i expected her too but she is stll young and yet to develop her full coat, will be interesting to see when she is older.

If I was looking for a new dog I would go to a reputable breeder and ask for the papers even though we desex our dogs anyway. Its nice to know your dogs lineage. That's how we got our two Am Bulldogs.

However, sometimes dogs just happen into our lives and need a new home for whatever reason so we do what we can. This is how we obtained about half the dogs we've owned over the past 8 years. They have been awesome dogs too.

Would NEVER buy from a petstore. Its their trade that keeps the puppy farmers in business.

Thankyou. Yeah Heidi didnt turn out as i expected her too but she is stll young and yet to develop her full coat, will be interesting to see when she is older.

Yeh its amazing how sables always change their coat, as you said they generally look better once older, she should be a stunner. :)

Can't wait to get my German, looking at getting one from a breeder called Freevale.

I would buy a purebred (with or without papers, doesnt bother me as long as the parents have papers, its fine by me) short-nosed Rottweiler with good contrasting colours i.e. a nice bright tan, not those ones that are almost black with hardly any tan on them... From someone who's registered with the Kennel Club whether it was advertised in the paper or otherwise doesnt matter either....Although because of all the BS bad publicity (even though its not the breed, its how they are brought up/raised as to whether they turn out savage killers! :rolleyes: - We bred Rotties for 15+ years and never had a bad/aggressive/killer one EVER), they (rotties) arent a registered breed with the kennel club anymore :rolleyes: :(

I miss my rotties! RIP Ishy!

Wouldnt want to get one from the shelters as I want to bring it up and train it my way and the whole bonding thing too etc etc...

I prefer having pedigree purebred dogs also...I dont go at all on those stupid designerdoodle "dogs"....Would never buy from a petshop as they are way way way way WAY overpriced! (We once saw a CROSS breed - not even purebred - advertised for $600+ and it wasn't even a "designer cross" just a crappy ugly muttly...blew me away! Esp. considering you can get a purebred with papers lab for $800 with vacc. and everything else on top.... My personal opinion is that crosses, esp. ugly ones should be giveaways if not no more than $50.... Thats always how we have done it when a male jumped the fence and got to our "pedigree pure" girls...

But thats purely my personal preferences and opinions etc... You dont have to agree.

We bred Rotties for 15+ years and never had a bad/aggressive/killer one EVER), they (rotties) arent a registered breed with the kennel club anymore :rolleyes: :(

The Rottweiler is definately a recognised breed with the Australian National Kennel Council :)

They are in Group 6 - Utility.

Buy a breed that you love and know from a highly rated breeder, if you arn't as enthusiastic as say i am about certain breeds and just want a companion get a rescue dog.

It all depends on what you want from the dog.
I love rottweilers, pekingese, king charles cavaliers, saluki's, labs, staffy's and all because of certain personality traits they have going for them.

I'm all for purebreds, if you go to the right person you know what you are getting, the size and look of the dog, what they are excellent at, and often little quirks they will come with aswell and that's not to say i don't like crossbreeds, but unless you know how to assess a dogs health, and form and the possible breeds it has in it it's very hard to choose one based on what it will be like when it's older.

The majority of dogs with problems are crossbreeds, to disagree you would be stupid but there are such things as both well bred cross breeds and badly bred pure ones.

Here is a pic of my (purebred rotty) baby incase anyone wanted to see lol... (to show the kind of contrast I mean)
And here are a couple of one of her sons that we kept - she had an affair with the next door neighbour's dog which was a Great Dane/Bull mastiff cross...
We called him Diesel, but if we had of known he'd turn out the tan colour he did and have the massively sooky personality that he does, we would have called him Scooby Doo! I'll add a couple of him as a pup so you can see the colour change that I mean...
He is the same age now as she was when she had him...I think...She died in October 2007 :( Way too soon...

2ndJan07-Jakis19thBirthday083.jpg

And a rotated pic of her looking all Vampire-like! :lol: Love this pic!
Ishah9.jpg

Diesel...Haha I call him "The doodle" or just plain old "doodle" God knows why tho... Maybe coz he's our only boy dog or something who knows? lol I think he has is mothers eyes, or atleast her face...kinda... I can see a lot of her in him anyways...with personality and looks...
7thFebruary-1stMarch2009020.jpg

The sooky-la-la Diesel lol... We found him like that one day curled up in an empty box and thought it was hilarious!
31stMarch-19thAprilMy19thBirthda-2.jpg

31stMarch-19thAprilMy19thBirthda-1.jpg

2ndJan07-Jakis19thBirthday071.jpg

2ndJan07-Jakis19thBirthday065.jpg

When he was a wee lil puppy, he had a "dipstick" black tail, we almost called him dipstick lol... You can kinda see where it starts to go black in the last pic...
Diesel7.jpg

Diesel.jpg

The Rottweiler is definately a recognised breed with the Australian National Kennel Council :)

They are in Group 6 - Utility.

Really? Awesome! I was really disheartened when someone told me they were off the register thingo...As far as I knew/what I was told was, there were too many "baby attacks" or whatever made by Rotties, so they took them off the register a while ago (maybe a couple of years ago now)... Hmm... Maybe it was just a rumour that they got taken off...

Thanks Ash!

Really? Awesome! I was really disheartened when someone told me they were off the register thingo...As far as I knew/what I was told was, there were too many "baby attacks" or whatever made by Rotties, so they took them off the register a while ago (maybe a couple of years ago now)... Hmm... Maybe it was just a rumour that they got taken off...

Thanks Ash!

Yup they sure are :) They are in the same group as Sibes, so I see them heaps at dog shows. They are such gorgeous big boofas, I love Rotties. My first dog, when I was a child, was a Dobermann x Rottweiler that we rescued from the pound. She was the best dog ever, beautiful and very intelligent with a wonderful temperament.

Love the pics by the way, especially the vampire-doggy one and Diesel curled up in the box - cute!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back