Domesticated Damage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I once did a wildlife carers workshop on euthanasia and "crushing the brain" was the suggested method of ending the life of an injured animal.

I hate the thought of having to do it but that is the method in the manual

Cheers
Sandee :)

Bloody hell, i would have splattered its head with the first available blunt object after seeing the damage was anterior to the vent. Cant feel good having your **** cut off....

That would be my first reaction to.
Sometimes you just cant keep the head intact and I think when the animal is in pain, as this snake probably was, you need to end it as quick as possible.
Nothing is quicker than massive brain trauma.
Whats the reason for keeping the head intact poggle?
Did the dog get bitten?

That would be my first reaction to.
Sometimes you just cant keep the head intact and I think when the animal is in pain, as this snake probably was, you need to end it as quick as possible.
Nothing is quicker than massive brain trauma.
Whats the reason for keeping the head intact poggle?
Did the dog get bitten?

As far as im aware they were not sure if the dog was bitten. Couldnt tell ne more then what i know sorry. I agree that a bang to the head is the quickest way to end life, damage to brain reduces pain to rest of body etc etc. Was never arguing this. I was more saying keeping head intact, some times in cases when snakes are bitten on tail they can spin and bite dog on face. Not that clear evidence is required after it has been caught. But i guess with the vet i have and when it takes no time to get there from where this snake was found, i like a professional opinion which supports mine, so when i file paper work and put down it was euthanaised etc it is all there in front of who ever requires it.

Everyone has stated what they would do and have done and thats fine. I am happy to explain my reasons for things, if people would like to question me as a catcher and knowlegde as some have done for getting some snakes checked out. This snake was put out of his misery straight after analysis as it was the right thing to do, but also i have seen some snakes when other catchers have gone, wow thats bad ill knock it on the head. Where i have gone wow thats bad but i am not a vet, can it be treated. ( NOT THIS CASE ). So i dont always go wow bad = bam.

Whats the reason for keeping the head intact poggle?......

Maybe he was too scared to let go of the head because it still could have bitten him quicker than he could have raised he hand with a weapon to crush it. If I was holding that snake's head, I wouldn't be letting it go and I certainly wouldn't be risking banging my fingers with anything.

Maybe he was too scared to let go of the head because it still could have bitten him quicker than he could have raised he hand with a weapon to crush it. If I was holding that snake's head, I wouldn't be letting it go and I certainly wouldn't be risking banging my fingers with anything.

That is a load of crap... I hope that was a poor attempt at sarcasm.

:?:?:D:D

QUOTE: I was more saying keeping head intact, some times in cases when snakes are bitten on tail they can spin and bite dog on face. Not that clear evidence is required after it has been caught. But i guess with the vet i have and when it takes no time to get there from where this snake was found, i like a professional opinion which supports mine, so when i file paper work and put down it was euthanaised etc it is all there in front of who ever requires it."

Its quite easily to see, that snake didn't have its tail bitten of, it was chewed off. There is a difference.
Very likely the dog did get bitten, but being such a small snake, unlikely to envenomate with small fangs and fur.

So... why did you need the head intact? There is no reason. You don't need the head to ID and whats this with the vet? No time? Are you a mutant x-men?
I am sure that over time you will understand that regardless of your paperwork, the reason we do this work is FOR THE SNAKES BENEFIT. If you want a museum specimen to keep to show friends etc, at least wait till you find a dead one and not let one go through pain to suit what you want.

(IN THIS CASE) If you are as experienced as you say, then wowDOES=bam. Get your priorities right.

A preserved / frozen specimen of a very common species, juvenile with missing posterior is of no value whatsoever. Scientifically, esthetically, educationally ....... it's a piece of chewed up meat.

Putting in freezer is for when snake may be required for further examination. I have a good vet who does all euthanasia. If we would once again like to turn this in to a he should do this or that thread by all means go for it again :)
I dont care what he does but do you know what happens to a body when it put in a freezer live?

I dont care what he does but do you know what happens to a body when it put in a freezer live?

OK smarty, so explain to us exactly what happens. Be specific and use correct terminology (not from Google).

Last edited:
Our wildlife course leader told us that freezing reptiles that are already cooled was considered an ok option for euthanisia but they still recommended that all wildlife were taken to the vet to be done properly. As wildlife carers are not qualified to say yes or no, it is considered by FAWNA and other wildlife care organisations appropriate to transport the animal to the vet for euthanasia rather than us do it ourself. But they did not state that it was any way illegal if we did take action on our own opinion. Most of the time, carers are quite capable of making decisions, but if just one person decides it was a wrong choice, crap hits the fan. I agree that Poggle did the right thing taking it to the vet to be euthanised.

Our wildlife course leader told us that freezing reptiles that are already cooled was considered an ok option for euthanisia but they still recommended that all wildlife were taken to the vet to be done properly. As wildlife carers are not qualified to say yes or no, it is considered by FAWNA and other wildlife care organisations appropriate to transport the animal to the vet for euthanasia rather than us do it ourself. But they did not state that it was any way illegal if we did take action on our own opinion. Most of the time, carers are quite capable of making decisions, but if just one person decides it was a wrong choice, crap hits the fan. I agree that Poggle did the right thing taking it to the vet to be euthanised.

Hi Kathy,
This is a subject that I have involvement in, and we are talking about this one case. In THIS case, the one that we are discussing here, in this thread, the snake had lost its lower body. ANY gut wound where the entrails are ruptured or the snake has had it's lower body 'amputated' north of the sexual organs and cloaca, is a dead animal. There are no if's, but's or maybe's. The correct action is a quick euthanase, by crushing the skull on the spot. This IS humane... forget laws, paperwork and the fact that the owner of the culprit dog is in attendance.
Too many 'wildlife' carers are to soft when it gets down to the bare bones.
In the snakes world...the world of nature... the world that our 'wildlife' lives in, things are far from rosy, and all carers need to get an understanding of this fact. Not just a trendy, superficial ideal... but a proper understanding about your role in helping the animals, and when the help boils down to relief from misery then LEARN to do the right thing.

Even mentioning a vet here is ridiculous.

As mentioned earlier, the animal is a part of the environment, after euthanasing it PROPERLY by crushing the head, leave it there, in the bush. Then say your prayer. Job done.

Hi Kathy,
This is a subject that I have involvement in, and we are talking about this one case. In THIS case, the one that we are discussing here, in this thread, the snake had lost its lower body. ANY gut wound where the entrails are ruptured or the snake has had it's lower body 'amputated' north of the sexual organs and cloaca, is a dead animal. There are no if's, but's or maybe's. The correct action is a quick euthanase, by crushing the skull on the spot. This IS humane... forget laws, paperwork and the fact that the owner of the culprit dog is in attendance.
Too many 'wildlife' carers are to soft when it gets down to the bare bones.
In the snakes world...the world of nature... the world that our 'wildlife' lives in, things are far from rosy, and all carers need to get an understanding of this fact. Not just a trendy, superficial ideal... but a proper understanding about your role in helping the animals, and when the help boils down to relief from misery then LEARN to do the right thing.

Even mentioning a vet here is ridiculous.

As mentioned earlier, the animal is a part of the environment, after euthanasing it PROPERLY by crushing the head, leave it there, in the bush. Then say your prayer. Job done.

Couldnt have said it better. I see too many 'animal lovers' unwilling to make the hard decisions. Its not about you, its about the animal and whats best for it. I dont enjoy bashing a snakes head in but i will always do what needs to be done, quickly. Like Cement said, theres no 'ifs, buts or maybes' when a snake is missing its cloaca and everything below it.

What i do find funny.... and not stabbing at any one cause i am sick to death of bull **** posts on threads, is that i posted pics of damage to a snake caused by a dog... And then i idd not STATE how it was to be euthanaised but stated i was close to a vet, 2 mins to be exact after seeing the snake, although the snake was only bought to me for my OPINION ( which was it should be euthaniased ASAP), This snake was bought to my work place for me to view it, so no i was in no position to smash it's head in at a youth centre, so i suggested the idea of a vet, and possibility of freezing specimans if required. STRAIGHT away like usualy on this thread people by pass the initial conversation and jump on to another topic of euthanasia. People question others credentials, where for the likes of some i am still to wait for you to back up what you are talking about... I AGREED in the first couple of statements with crushing a skull but in this case it was not suitable due to my location. Although i was not aware this place was a judge and jury on every topic. I am happy for people to talk to my about what is being done, but i am sick of threads going on this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back