Dominant Beardie male

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardyBen

Reaction score
Hey Everyone :p I have 3 beardys 1 male and 2 female ( I hope Im right ) the Male dispays a lot of head bobbing and chases around one of the females which in turn gives the hand wave. he only chases one of the females. Does the male usually make these displays to females or do I have another male that I have incorrectly sexed??? :shock:

Might well be another male, I made the same mistake, my dominant male is slightly bigger, I caught him beating the crap out of the smaller male and had to separate them. Look under the tail, gently curve it over the back, just above the vent, will be two bulges if male, one if female. Theres some great closeups in a thread here somewhere. good luck. :D
p.s Yes one head bobs one waves, my pair are doing that, maybe you lucked out and got 2 fems. :wink:

here ya go Female....

t_t_sexingfemale.jpg

male....

t_t_sexingmale.jpg

Thanks PS I have done the "bulge test" as far as I can see I have 1 male with distinct 2 bulges and 2 females with the one bulge hope this is the case as they arent that old (only 6 months) they havent got violent to each other so I hope its just a bit of sibling rivalry

If I were you Ben, I would be separating the boy from the girls.
What he is showing (behaviour wise) can be mating displays, and at the moment, one of your females is responding in a 'come and get me' fashion. The last thing you want to do ois got getting a 6mth old female beardie full of eggs. It will shorten her life considerably, if not kill her.
They should be 18mth+ before they breed.
Good luck

So what happens in the wild? high mortality rate for randy beardys? :?

Hello Ben,
I agree with Beknluke. They have to be separated. It could result with some lost toes or tail ends.
They're way to young to mate.

lol, Inny. They run away in the wild :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back