Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zacthefrog

Reaction score
found this little guys a few years in kings canyon N.T. what kind of Dragon?

Attachments

• IMGP2186.jpg
    IMGP2186.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMGP2170.jpg
    IMGP2170.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 110
Im 99% sure it's C. caudicinctus I think it's the only ctenophorus species occuring in that area.

Look I cannot say anything from experience but just looking at the Wilson Swan maps does not look like any other similar species occurs in that range thus it must be Ctenophorus caudicinctus, of course those maps are not always 100% but better than nothing.

isolepis and nuchalis also in this area but it's neither of them

Last edited:
Im 99% sure it's C. caudicinctus I think it's the only ctenophorus species occuring in that area.

Central netteds, one of the millitaries and maybe painteds would make it to this area but look different.

I am a little less sure of the distribution of Ctenophorus rufescens possibly also occurring in the area.... not sure though.

I don't know why but every time I hear kings canyon my brain goes much further north. Still caudicinctus though,LOL

You are right Steve. This is a young ring tailed dragon. Ctenophorus caudicinctus. I believe it is the subspecies slateri. I keep C.c. slateri and macropus in my collection. The animal in the picture is an established juvenile, probably about one third of full adult size. Unfortunately I can't determine the sex of the animal.

Last edited:
when i first saw this thread (before anyone else posted)
i was going to say caudicinctus but i didnt feel confident :p

Is you belief that it's C.c. slateri based on distribution? just by comparing pics I would have gone with infans

when i first saw this thread (before anyone else posted)
i was going to say caudicinctus but i didnt feel confident :p

Thats why I'm never more than 99% sure, LOL

Is you belief that it's C.c. slateri based on distribution? just by comparing pics I would have gone with infans

Thats why I'm never more than 99% sure, LOL

Steve,

I am having a guess that your question re C.c. slateri is directed to me. My comment is skewed heavily toward known distribution records for the species rather then, but also at the same time observation of the animals in my possession. Based on known range data available today, my understanding is that there are 6 subspecies of C. caudicinctus and of those 6 only 2 extend into or are found in the NT, macropus and slateri. Macropus in the north and down into SW Qld and slateri in the southern third of the NT but does not reach across to the Qld border.

To be perfectly honest I would have said it is C.c. macropus, because that is what it looks like. However the specimens I have in my collection are all adults and the macropus I have are quite a lot more orange in colour then the animal pictured. The markings are virtually the same but the colour is more pronounced, as I say orange.

The slateri I have are similar in colour to the specimen shown but markings are not as prominent. Tail banding for instance is difficult to discern. However I believe that this is a maturity thing and that the younger specimens will have brighter markings and tail banding will be more prominent as is the case with the individual in the picture.

I have not bred this species so have not seen young of this species develope. On this basis perhaps again you are right, I should rephrase my identification comment to read, I have a 99.9% degree of certainty that the animal in the picture is C.c. slateri.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited:
Can I add 1% and 0.1% to those degrees of certainty for you two gentlemen. The subspecies of Ring-tailed Dragon recorded from Kings Canyon is Ctenophorus caudicintus slateri.

The juveniles can be quite cheeky, sitting atop rocks to the side of the walking track and not even bothering to move as another tourist group files past. The adults are much more wary.

Blue

Sorry, The question was directed at you Mark and once again thanks for the response.

Can I add 1% and 0.1% to those degrees of certainty for you two gentlemen. The subspecies of Ring-tailed Dragon recorded from Kings Canyon is Ctenophorus caudicintus slateri.

The juveniles can be quite cheeky, sitting atop rocks to the side of the walking track and not even bothering to move as another tourist group files past. The adults are much more wary.

Blue

Thanks for your input Blue, I was aware that slateri are found at Kings Canyon, but I have not been there myself so I have not seen the behaviours you listed.

Sorry, The question was directed at you Mark and once again thanks for the response.

No problem Steve. I guess with yours, mine and Bluetongue1's input we can safely say that this ID request has been answered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back