Dragon pic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Depth of field

welcome,
looking forward to seein more pics, the detail is incredible!!
ps, is your husband a professional photographer, if not, i think hes found his calling :lol:

Nice pics.. here is what depth of field does on my dads camera :p

Re: Depth of field

shamous1 said:
Hi Dragonlea,

I working on that depth of field thing but can't master it. Also been playing with the camera but can't seem to get any where near the shots you get.

Husband here :) Nothing wrong with that effort! It's a great capture of all of them together. Just keep taking pics. If it's digital - it's free!

What type of camera are you using? Looks like you are using the flash too. Can you speed up the iso and open the F stop up a bit perhaps? The Ricoh GRD has a great little macro function. Perhaps your camera does as well. Give it a try also.

Cheers and thanks for the kind comments.

MrSpike said:

Excellent shot, Spike. Nailed it! Nice colours too.

Dragonlea

Re: RE: Depth of field

becswillbe said:
welcome,
looking forward to seein more pics, the detail is incredible!!
ps, is your husband a professional photographer, if not, i think hes found his calling :lol:

Thanks Bec. He is a keen photographer. He certainly spends enough time and money to be a professional! :)

Thanks,

Dragonlea

Dragonlea said:
MrSpike said:

Excellent shot, Spike. Nailed it! Nice colours too.

Dragonlea

Thanks 8) The female he mated this season just put 10 eggs in the incubator.. hoping for them to hatch! Nice photos, i might try to see if my dads cam has black and white shots.

cheers

Re: Depth of field

Husband here :) What type of camera are you using? Looks like you are using the flash too. Can you speed up the iso and open the F stop up a bit perhaps? The Ricoh GRD has a great little macro function. Perhaps your camera does as well. Give it a try also.

Cheers and thanks for the kind comments.

Speed up the iso and open up the F stop perhaps. You lost me at speed up the iso. I'm using a Kodak LS755 (5 megapixel). Alright everyone you can laugh now. :lol: Seriously please do. I can then tell my wife I need a really good camera to take pics of the animals. I'll leave a brochure of a Ricoh GRD lying around and drop a few hints for fathers day.

What would I be looking at for one of the them Dragonlea hubby?

That is a great photo Shamous1, good composition. Just a few helping hints maybe from a novice.
You may want to consider some extra external light source maybe, and a little closer. It is better also to zoom in a fair bit using only the optical zoom, as opposed to no zoom and close camera.
I see your model has macro focus as well
• Normal: 70 cm to infinity (wide)/ 110cm to infinity (tele)
• Macro: 15 - 70 cm
• Super Macro: 5 - 15 cm
The macro setting will probably be displayed as a flower in the selection options I would imagine.
- So yea, some external additional (diffuse) light source to illuminate the subject area.
- A little optical zoom in there.
- nice and close using the macro setting
- Depth of field, f-stop experimentation...

And bobs your uncle!

As Dragonlea said - digital is FREE, and you can check every photo straight after taking it. Much better than when I was learning with my SLR - had to keep a record card with camera settings used for each photo, then check out what worked when I got them developed!

Edit: Oh yea forgot to mention Shamous1, try not to use depth of field to blur out some subjects in your photos, like the dragon in the background. More to isolate the subjects from the background. You will notice in Dragonleas double pic their heads are both still the subject, with the bodies and background blurred. Just try on one dragon to start I guess. Mr Spike has nailed it well too, but maybe a little too much light in the background (draws eyes away from head to bright blurry orange body)...but it's good dude!

Love the dragon5web pic Dragonlea - awesome!

Kiwicam your a novice!!!! What does that make me???? I have three days off now and will be playing a bit with the camera (me's think).

Thanks Kiwicam and Dragonlea.

No you are good to go man. I just know what I am looking for in a photo - not to say I can take a photo with those things in it thou!....lol.
I was more into photography way back when using a 'real' cool sounding SLR, then I just went point-n-shoot with digitals as I wasn't really into it enough to fork out for a digital SLR.

Just have a bit of a google and you will get heaps of info to help you out - wish I could have used the internet when I started, instead of a few books.

Another good little page....
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

Just remember ....
large aperture = small f-stop number = small depth of field = lots of light in = fast shutter speed = no tripod needed.
As some cameras are limited in aperture size available, you need to work with speed or iso - which I think is what Dragonlea mentioned, correct chap?

But yea let us know how you go Shamous

Just found out that it looks like I'm buying new camera. The Minister of Finance - War and Foreign Affairs has come to her senses. I happened to mention that it would come in handy to take pictures of the kids as they are growing up way too fast and we should record this family event. :lol:

I am looking at the Pansonic Lumix LZ1 or TZ1 something like that. I had to pick fast before something breaks down at our house and I had to pay for it.

Hi Afro,
My digi camera takes black and white and also sepia pics!

GARTHNFAY said:
Hi Afro,
My digi camera takes black and white and also sepia pics!

I think Afro still uses a Kodak box brownie. Not a bad camera mind you, just a bit old. :shock: :wink:

shamous1 said:
Just found out that it looks like I'm buying new camera. The Minister of Finance - War and Foreign Affairs has come to her senses. I happened to mention that it would come in handy to take pictures of the kids as they are growing up way too fast and we should record this family event. :lol:

I am looking at the Pansonic Lumix LZ1 or TZ1 something like that. I had to pick fast before something breaks down at our house and I had to pay for it.

John, the husband here again :) Great advice from Kiwicam. I too cut my teeth on film SLR's in the early eighties and used to do all my own processing. It taught me the basics of manual exposure etc., which made digital so easy. Many people these days haven't a background in the basics so a new digital doesn't always take the images they expect.

Now for the good news :) Becoming a good photographer is so much easier with a digital. You get instant results, so just keep taking them - take thousands. Then when you look at them on the computer you can get the technical info embedded in the image (speed, F-stop iso etc) and learn by looking at how that affected each image. As Kiwicam said, in the 'old' days that was up to the photographer to remember or take notes.

Oh, and read everthing you can about photography! the web is great for this off course.

I also have many cameras for different jobs. DSLR 20D with lenses for sport and high quality stuff, Ricoh GRD for carry around anytime and even a Sony F717 for Infra red photos. I even still shoot film just for the enjoyment of getting back to a different process. The Ricoh GRD just happens to take a great macro shot with a steady hand :) but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone as you could probably get a better allround camera for much cheaper.

The Panasonic cameras consistantly get good reviews but do your research (quickly if need be) as there may be better for taking close up snake shots. The Panasonics tend to excel in long stabilised zooms. Hard to beat for an overall camera. I'd save for a Lumix DMC-FZ7 though. Better still look for a second hand DSLR like a Canon 300D which you can grow with and buy additional lenses. Go here for good reviews before you buy anything,

http://www.dpreview.com/

Sorry for the long post. As you can guess I am as passionate about my photography as my wife is about her dragons :) Hope it helps.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back