Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Last night while feeding my bredli, I wanted to feed her 2 (frozen) hoppers in a row. She normally eats straight away without a problem, but she had this mouse coiled for a long time and she was looking around as though hungry, so (after 1/2 hour) I waved the other mouse in there and she took it too, coiling it with the top half of her body.

she had coils around both mice! at different points in her body, one coiled down towards the tail the other up closer to her neck.
She ate both overnight, but I wondered if this was a regular thing when double feeding as I have only just starting doing it for them.
Cheers
Ad

I've noticed that sometimes when I give my inland carpet two mice at the same time, she'll take one and constrict it, but won't eat it for a while 'cause she's checking out the other one. I've never seen her hold both at the same time..but then again, I never really hang around for long after I give them to her.
In any case, it sounds like a pretty cool thing to see. :shock: :)

That sounds very cool ad. Can't say as I've ever seen it before, and from what I understand, it is not a common thing. There is an exception that I know of, and that is the African Burrowing "Python" (which isn't really a python by the way. It is a sand boa.) Seems for this particular species, it is common for them to invade rodent burrows, and since they often encounter many prey items at once, they engage in multiple constrictions. From what I've read, they will not only coil them, but also pin them against the walls as well. Neat stuff. You can see a pic here:

http://www.kingsnake.com/sandboa/calabwmi.jpg

General info here:

http://www.kingsnake.com/sandboa/calabar.html

I f my memory serves me correctly womas will often pin their prey agains the walls of a burrow instead of constricting them and that is why they often have lots of scars (wild ones that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back