Dusting Crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
Hi,

I know people dust crickets and cockies with calcium powder and other supplements for feeding to their lizards. Is it necessary to do this for Green Tree Frogs as well?

If so, how is it done? Do you just throw the feed insects into a container with some dusting powder and shake it up a bit prior to feeding?

Thanks
Rick

Hi Rick,

I sprinkle a little in the washed cricket containers, shake em up a bit with lid on. My beardies know what's coming when they see me with the container.

Cheers...Deb

For woodies (crickets would be the same), I put them in a garbage bag in the fridge for 10 minutes to slow them down, then just sprinkle a bit of powder inside and shake..

yep, and UVB is also necessary.

i have a big plastic 'decor' jug with calcium at the bottom, i shake the insects off the egg carton into that (fits well),....swirl and throw the appropriate sized food at the appropriate animals,...(neither roaches or crickets seem able to climb calcium coated walls,....)

i hand feed my frog tho, when i used a loose substrate he'd get bits of that in his mouth, some of which i found in his poo, then i covered it with large pebbles that wouldnt fit in his mouth, but the insects had great hiding places, when i used carpety stuff it'd get damp and smell mouldy after a few days cos he makes a hell of a mess with his water bowl, then when i changed to rubber mats, well, the insects just hide in the cracks,...

calcium powder isnt that good, get some calcium liquid. Apparently with powder they only digest 0.1% of the calcium on the feeders.
if you wanna make sure there covered in calcium powder though, i let the feeders drink the liquid in the couple days before then get them out dunk them in a little bit of water then in a box with calcium and it coats them pretty well.
Hope it helps.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back