Eastern Bearded Eating Habits Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotora

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

As some of you may have seen I have recently gotten a 5 month old Eastern Bearded as my first reptile in a long time. Now I need some advice from some vet dragon keeps on feeding habits and arrangements.

At the moment I'm doing woodies one day, then a day off, then putting in bok choy, then another day off then back to woodies.

Hes eating full grown woodies (dusted with calcium) and he eats between 4 - 5 before he does not want anymore. He has only eaten the bok choy once, the guy I brought him off said he loved bok choy and was feeding on it well, but my little man does not seem to eat it, Ive tried him three times now the first time he took it the second and third time he did not. I have tried to make it more appealing by adding banana and apple and all that sort of stuff but he does not seem interested so there have been a few times where he has gone 3 days with out a feed.

Is it bad that hes going so long with out eating also how can I get him eating his greens + will him not eating greens for the two weeks do him any real harm. Im thinking hes still getting comfortable here as I have only had him for a little over two weeks.

Also I don't have a heater for him at night, I live in Queensland on the coast so the nights are quiet warm normally when I wake up in the morning the lowest I saw it was around 18 degrees but the average seems to be 20 - 23 degrees. I'm sure with those temps he wont need any night heating.

Any input would be great.

Thanks guys.

at 5 months they can still have bugs every day,...keep offering salad so he has something to nibble on thruout the day though, try leaving the salad bowl in different areas if hes not eating it,....

but yeah, at 5 month he'll mostly be wanting insects cos they need alot of protien to grow,...

Dont need night heating, but I would assume that you have day heating and UV sorted out.

Yep the day heating is sorted, what ill do is salad every day trying different places like you said, and woodies every second day with a few chucked in as a snack.

Thanks for the input guys

I just posted pics of mine. I think it's around 12 months or so. Eats like you wouldn't believe ... up to 20 or more adult crix or woodies in one go plus greens and vege. Isn't that much of a fan of bok choy but loves carrot occasionally, apricot occasionally, beans, squash and endive. LOVES endive, dandilion and hibiscius

Thanks for the reply Azzajay77, yeah usually after 5 or so woodies he seems content but hes slowly eating more, 20 or so jeez lucky Ive got a Woodie colony going other wise it would cost me a fortune :p. How often do you feed him the woodies / crickets every day or every second day? Ill try some of the stuff you mentioned and see what he will take too, as long as he eats it ill be happy, just got him eating the woodies consistently now on to the veggies

Um i feed insects most days not always 20 though ... my woodie colony is gone and so is my cricket one due to the fact that they ate it all so pretty much insects every 2nd day and vege left in there everyday.

hmmm looks like I will have to look at investing in some more woodies and expand my colony lol. My brother and I both have easterns his is about 2mo and mine is like i said nearly 5mo so they will be eating a truck load soon...

i have the same problem with my 5mth old pygmy , he only eats brightly coloured food for some reason doesnt touch anything that is green in colour, he goes nuts for pumpkin I soak it so it's nice and soft for him, loves carrot but i only give it to him once a week, he loves apple, didnt touch bananna, he wotn touch beared dragons pellets unless i trick him by dropping them in the cage one by one when they hit the floor he thinks they are alive and eats them, but now i just use them as gut load,
but overall he really prefers small crickets over anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back