Eastern Brown Snake info

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DameJacquie

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if someone can give me some info on the Eastern Brown Snake, specifically, babies. There are at least 2 young snakes in a drain system at the TAFE where I attend, and I think they are brown's. Is it true that young brown snakes have black on their heads like a copperhead? If yes, when does this black fade or disappear? In my best estimate, one of the snakes (Browny) is about 50-60cm long, and the other (Browny Jnr or BJ) is about 30-40cm long. I have taken some photos of the snakes with my mobile phone, but they aren't very clear because of the distance & shadows in the drain. I will get them off my phone and try to post them on here.

Yeah you should post some pics, young brown snakes vary alot in apearance in differant areas.

What sort of info did you want anyway? the best advice i can give is dont let them bite you because they can still kill you when they are that small.

OK, I can't get the photo's off my phone atm cos my dumb pc is too old :'( I will keep at it and work out a way to post them.

Australis...I'm thinking its probably a brown, cos that's what most of the snakes around here are and Cris...I have no intention of letting it bite me :)

I'm just a bit concerned that they might be stuck down there, and can't find their way out. They've been there for at least a week now, we first noticed them last Tuesday.

Anyways, I'll keep trying to get the pics...thanks :D

I caught a Black Snake at Richmond TAFE when i was studying there a few years ago.. He was a real cutie!

What TAFE are these snakes at? You should probably call a snake removalist, he'll save the day!

Hey everyone,

Is it true that young brown snakes have black on their heads like a copperhead?

A lot of baby Browns look almost identical to Little Whip Snakes Parasuta flagellum. Both have black heads but the Brown has a black collar as well. It's easy to mistake one for the other. If you're not experienced at handling elapids, I suggest you get in a trained Reptile Controller. Don't risk it, the bite of a Little Whip is basically harmless, a Brown's bite isn't.

These ones definately have the black head and a black collar. And don't worry, I'm not gonna go crawling around the drains (even if I could lift off the covering!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back