Eastern Browns in Wardrobe

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I laughed too. It would have been a very different story if he'd been bitten, but no harm done.

What kind of parent gives a 3 y.o. child a container to STORE UNKNOWN ANIMAL EGGS IN, in the first place?

I'm not sure it's clear from the article that the mother knew what the takeaway container was for until she found the eggshells and the snakes in it. The child might have asked her for a container without mentioning the eggs. If she did, yes, bad idea, but I suspect she will be much more careful in future.

Um, I think its flat out bad parenting.
Would any one praise a parent that lets their child approach an unknown dog on the street? Same potential to go sideways.
A little bit of risk mitigation (i.e. knowing what your 3y.o. child is doing whilst in your care) could go a long way.

I understand your point completely as this article shows outright that it can go horribly wrong. However my view is that shielding kids away from these sorts of interests can be just as counter productive.

In this case things should have been done differently like maybe having the kid just look at the eggs or put them back rather than encouraging him to keep them in his closet in a food container but its nice to see that they contacted the relevant authorities and had the snakes released rather than popping the container in the bin with the hatchlings still trapped.

In saying all that though, you make a very valid point and its not the kids fault but the parenting.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also like to point out the article author could have mentioned how it is illegal to interfere with native fauna.
[sarcasm]I mean, don't they have a responsibility to report the facts?[/sarcasm]

Now thats just silly, you know they cant place the blame on people. :p

I laughed too. It would have been a very different story if he'd been bitten, but no harm done.

I'm not sure it's clear from the article that the mother knew what the takeaway container was for until she found the eggshells and the snakes in it. The child might have asked her for a container without mentioning the eggs. If she did, yes, bad idea, but I suspect she will be much more careful in future.

So no parent ever questions their child's intentions?

Here some possible scenarios I have imagined:-

Kyle: Mummy can I please have a takeaway container?
Kyle's mum: What for sweetie?
Kyle: Some eggs i found in the garden
Kyle's mum: GET THOSE THINGS OUT OF THE HOUSE AND BACK WHERE YOU FOUND THEM!!

Scenario 2

Kyle: Mummy can I please have a takeaway container?
Kyle's mum: Kyle, mummy is busy find one yourself.
Kyle: What are you doing?
Kyle's mum: I'm social networking on my iphone.

Mummy: "Now where did he put those grasshoppers? I don't want them dying so they can have these bit of lettuce to eat (and get a drink at same time). Hmmm! I wonder if he put them in here?....

God, I must be so twisted; I actually laughed at this. :facepalm:
You most certainly are!!! However,it would seem you are in good company... E & R.

Blue

What kind of parent gives a 3 y.o. child a container to STORE UNKNOWN ANIMAL EGGS IN, in the first place?

My mum would and did,,,Both my parents always encouraged my love of animals in the hope that i might become a biologist, scientist or something similar..
They were not happy when i dropped out at 15 and got a factory job...poor buggers..
RIP mum and dad

Meh, My parents let me incubate eggs when we disturbed them building the house, shed, fences, etc. I wouldn't call it bad parenting, never did me any harm. Good on her. Such a nanny society these days.

A certain type of parent that finds nature wonderful and encourages their own offspring to enjoy same :)
Long live nature loving human beings we sure don't have enough of them
Cheers
Sandee :)

If you're lucky as a kid, you can get it so your parents don't want to know what's in your bedroom, so don't bother to ask:)! I guess they knew what I was up to because I always got at least one reptile book for Chrissy and Dad often built the "Chrissy cage"!!

My mum would and did,,,Both my parents always encouraged my love of animals in the hope that i might become a biologist, scientist or something similar..
They were not happy when i dropped out at 15 and got a factory job...poor buggers..
RIP mum and dad

Baz, you met their expectations in an unexpected way, and very successfully. I bet they'd be extremely proud of what you've achieved.

- - - Updated - - -

If it were my kid, I'd be just as excited to find out the identity of the occupants of the eggs. If I felt that we could provide the right conditions, I'd seriously consider incubating them, albeit in a much more secure receptacle than a Chinese takeaway container. Alternatively, I'd put them back where they were found and keep a close eye out.

I see your point, Mad at Arms, but I am always skeptical of relying on the average newspaper article as an accurate source of information. I can't rush to judge this mother based on the work of a single deadline-harried journalist. There could be any number of explanations for why the kid ended up with a takeaway container full of eastern browns, beyond the scope of the article to explain.

Last edited:
Lol when I was young I lived at a place called collinsville and lived in a street on what was known as death adder hill never found any adults or young but found plenty of skinks as a kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back