Eastern Longneck found

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff2231

Reaction score
Hi all,

I stepped outside my front door this morning and found an Eastern Longneck Turtle walking past my doorstep. I live in the suburbs south of Sydney, and there's really nowhere for him to go and I can't really want to look after him myself

Anyone know what I should do with the poor little sucker? I'm pretty sure he's lost because he's got a long walk before he gets to any fresh water creeks around here...

Is anybody missing one?

They sometimes live around golf courses at the water traps/dams. I also live in Sydney suburbs & a golf course near my place has some. We used to get them occasionally in our yard, but haven't had a visitor for a number of years now.

I'd suggest you contact WIRES or NPWS & ask their advice. They may suggest just putting it back in your yard to find it's own way home.

Release it near your local creek, LN Turts wander far and wide to look for new water, it's far from uncommon to find them Kms from water.

Its a common occurrence when there is a lot of rain here in Sydney. I get most of my turtle recues then.
A lot just take the opportunity to relocate. Some are "pets" that have finally managed to escape from the pond they have been held prisoner in. I get lots of these. Often malnourished but not always.
A lot get washed from siltage damns and run off ponds. Some make it as far as the ocean unfortunately.
Either ring Sydney Wildlife on 94134300 for rescue and relocation or take it to a good size creek or other large freshwater body.

Thanks for the advise guys. Called WIRES and NPWS and neither wanted anything to do with it so I just dropped it off at my closest creek which is about 5km away. I'm guessing it'd have to be a runaway, or else it was a pretty bloody good effort getting as far as he did considering how many roads and yards he would've had to cross to get to my house. I'm just glad I nabbed him before the kid next door did :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back