Eastern Water Dragon attacks Bearded Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myusername

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Went on a walk near my girlfriend's place this afternoon and came across something I wasn't expecting. I rounded a corner close to a small creek and I saw a very, very large (probably close to a metre from tail to snout) eastern water dragon tearing something to shreds in a little patch of bush. Anyway, I got closer and he saw me and ran off, leaving whatever it was behind. It was a bearded dragon, and not exactly a small one, probably 40-45cm tail to snout. Have any of you ever come across an eastern water dragon taking on something this big? It looked as though he was dragging the beardy down towards the creek.

If you have seen anything like this or similar let me know. I have heard people say they've seen them eat baby plovers etc before but they're not exactly the size of a bearded dragon.

Hey guys,

Went on a walk near my girlfriend's place this afternoon and came across something I wasn't expecting. I rounded a corner close to a small creek and I saw a very, very large (probably close to a metre from tail to snout) eastern water dragon tearing something to shreds in a little patch of bush. Anyway, I got closer and he saw me and ran off, leaving whatever it was behind. It was a bearded dragon, and not exactly a small one, probably 40-45cm tail to snout. Have any of you ever come across an eastern water dragon taking on something this big? It looked as though he was dragging the beardy down towards the creek.

If you have seen anything like this or similar let me know. I have heard people say they've seen them eat baby plovers etc before but they're not exactly the size of a bearded dragon.

Big lizards make snacks of smaller lizards - been this way for 500 million years.

The beardy was probably injured before the EWD had a go at it, else it would probably have been able to get away.

Shame you didn't get any photos of the EWD, sounds like a magnifient specimen.

I saw a big female take a rat at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary...

The bearded dragon was fine actually. When I went over to it it was just laying still, so I thought the EWD had killed it or something, but then I picked it up and it moved a bit so it was still alive, no visible injuries either except for a few scratches. It was lying super still though so I thought it must be internally damaged, until I got close to a bunch of bushes away from the creek when it shot out of my hand like a rocket and disappeared into the bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back