Eastern Water Dragon Egg help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie123

Reaction score
female eastern water dragon laid eggs 2 weeks ago and they are starting to have dents in them(big ones).

Just wondering if this is normal

housed in a gigantic enclosure and shes laid on some eco earth, eggs are lying half in half out of the substate

got a hovabator and bunnings is close(can pick up vermiculite), but do i need any special temps or can i just chuck them on vermiculite and put them in the hovabator for 60 odd days.

still very white eggs, but she only laid 4 and doesent look like shes gonna lay any more.

WILL POST PICS SOON

Last edited:
Ok, my guess they are dehydrated. You should candle them to see if they are fertile. There should definately be noticeable veins. If they look ok then you need to put them on a incubator mix and in the incubator. I'm not sure what your chances are with them left out. Can't hurt to try though

I wouldn't mind if an experienced EWD breeder wanted to comment here and correct me if I'm wrong! Haha

The interesting thing I've noticed lately is that almost all eggs are the same. They like simmilar temps/conditions etc. there really only seems to be a difference when their is a big locality difference and even then if they are kept cooler they seem to take longer to hatch.

Last edited:
candle them? do i just use a normal candle or is their some special equipment. Sorry if its a stupid question

Yeap

She should have another clutch soon, when you find the eggs put them in a tub with some spagnum moss or vermiculite (wet it then squeeze it out as hard as you can until no drips come out) and leave the tubs in a room where the temps dont flucuate too much.
EWD eggs will hatch in room temp easily, imo stuffing around with a Hovabator when you don't know what you are doing will reduce your chances of success.
Oh and make sure you keep the eggs the same way up, if you roll them the embryo will most likely drown (marking the eggs carefully with a "bluntish" pencil is a good way to keep the orientation correct)

Last edited:
so spagnum moss is cool. I think the female has been flipping them so fingers crossed they didnt die. thanks lots geckoman you saved me lots of time on that hovebator. will put them in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back