Eastern Water Dragon eye infection

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed my EWD had a bad eye, so I've cleaned it's tank etc but I don't really know where to go from here, there aren't any Reptile Vets near by, not that I'd be able to afford one anyway. Any advice on any ointments etc? :/

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/936727_371479222962889_70300065_n.jpg

I've read a lot about substrates causing eye problems with EWD cause they like to burrow... I've got two 5 month old EWD's in an enclosure and use a mix of river sand & a product called Kritters Crumble (fine coconut husk)

No issues to date... What substrate do you use?

I put potting mix along the bottom for the plants then a thick layer of peat moss on top, using paper towels now until I find a good substitute, possibly going to try your combination. Once her eye's healed that is!

I put potting mix along the bottom for the plants then a thick layer of peat moss on top, using paper towels now until I find a good substitute, possibly going to try your combination. Once her eye's healed that is!

Originally I had sphagnum moss mixed with river sand & it was easy to see how this mix would cause issues... Also the sphagnum moss was going mouldy... It seems that your on the right track with paper until you sort out the eye issue... Good luck & keep us posted :)

Yeah, she's got a big container to swim around in. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with her 2nd eye lid and possibly not an eye infection.

You haven't said where you are, check the yellowpages and call around the local vets..

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the vets is a luxury I'm unable to afford at the moment :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back