Eastern water dragon wont eat??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,
I have had this little guy for a week now and he wont eat anything. I dont think he is even taking the crickets at night cause they are still there in the morning. I have tried to hand (gently force) feed him some banana but i couldnt get him to keep his mouth open. Is there a secret to this? cause i thought he would even opent his mouth as a defensive pose?
Any help would be great as i think he is getting skinny and i dont want him to go the way of his sibling....(dead).
Cheers, Alan.

P.s, could it be due to the possibility that the crickets are too big???

Alan,
Are his temps good? They should be around 32-35 degrees at the hot end. Also, is there a UV globe? I'm guessing the dragon is only a hatchling / juvie so it should be fed on size Small crickets. Also, they do love roaches.

Simply drop the crickets / roaches in and leave the room. If the room has a door on it, shut the door on your way out. Don't go back in for about 20 mins just to give him time to settle down and then eat.

If you are using breeders choice or similar for substrate, the food items may bury themselves down and he won't get to them quick enough. I recommend you have him on paper-towel substrate. For my tiny water dragons who are fussy eaters, I go one step further and masking tape the paper towel on every edge so the food items cannot get under that. Be careful if doing this though because I've heard people on the Yahoo groups talking about a snake that got wrapped up it masking tape and tore the skin off, etc.

Another food you could try is the puppy pal dog food. It has a strong smell and all of my water dragons absolutely gulp it up. They love it. Just put an amount about twice the size of the meal you think he could handle (or look at this stomach size and multiply that by 2). Place this on a plastic surface (milk bottle lid is perfect) in his enclosure and leave there (overnight if necessary).

If he doesn't have a UV tube, I suggest you get him out into natural unfiltered sunlight ASAP, meaning today. Get him in a nice warm sunny spot (not too hot), give him a chinese container for water and leave him there for about 2 hours. Bring him in while the sun is still warm and try to feed him then. I find some of my fussy dragons will only tend to eat after they've have a "UV re-charge" outside. I also suggest that you take him outside into natural sunlight about 3 times a week. While UV globes are ok, I don't rely on them as the main source of UV for my lizards. They are good for small periods up to around 2 weeks when bad weather might prevent you from sunning your dragons, but natural is always best.

If your dragon's enclosure is in a high-traffic area of the ouse (where a lot of people are), I would move it to a quite, rarely used spot. I have found that my water dragons have been the most high-strung as hatchlings of any dragons I've kept (Eastern Beardies, Eastern and Gippsland Waters, Painted Dragons, Black Soil Bearded Dragons). They do well in spots which are not prone to noise or a lot of movement.

I also find they respond better to activity that might go on around them if they are up off the ground. I once had an EWD enclosure on the ground for about a week and a half while waiting for new shelves. Their attitude and appetite greatly improved when they got up to their current position off the ground.

Well hope that helps, this is all I can think of right now mate - let me know how it goes.

Simon Archibald

Simon,
The lighting used in the tank is Exo-terra Day glo during the day and exo-terra night glo (infra red with visible red light) at night. I am using a piece of plastic for a food dish with whiskas kitten and whiskas beef cat food. He hasnt touched this food and the crickets i put in this morning are still there. Should i also put in some live fish fry in his water bowl? its not a problem where supply comes in as i breed shed loads of fish as a hobby too.
He is located on my reptile rack in my bedroom and i am hardly in there unless i am asleep.
Substrate: for this i am using red reptile sand. Is this no good? should i remove it and use something different?
Temps are right too.

P.s, thanks for the indepth reply Simon. I find your reply's full of information and a great help. Keep up the good work.
Cheers, Alan.

Alan, dont know if it'll work but why not try some smallish bugs from the garden. slater bugs or tiny caterpillars ,whatever. Also small mealworms,(the soft pale ones) wiggling might intrest him. might be woth giving it a go. Something bloody smelling like a quater block of frozen bloodworm thawed out might work too, or even chopped earthworm. :wink:

I cant find any decent bugs around here, i live in a apartment in the city dude.
But i do have bloodworms, you reckon they will be ok for him?
I suppose there is no harm in trying ay.
Thanks instar,
Alan.

Bloodworm wont hurt him, not a heck of alot of nutritional value in them, but if it gets him eating it can only be a good thing. Surry hills has plenty of bugs, mostly roaches big enough to eat your lizard though. take a torch out at night. lol :lol: p.s you can buy mealworms at petshops though.

Alan,
Mealworms might also be good because they don't move too quickly so if your dragon gets interested after a while, he might be more likely to take it cause he can catch it easier.

Also something else I should've mentioned - don't swamp your little guy with insects or food items. A little at a time. If he has 10 crickets or roaches running everywhere in his enclosure and he's not a good feeder to start with, it may put him off even more.

As for the sand, I really have no experience with it for juvenile lizards. It can cause impaction (blockage in the gut which really means he can't poo) and that can be quite nasty. That's why I prefer and recommend paper towel and tape it down along all the edges if you want to use this.

As for the Whiskas food, is that the chunky stuff? With the pal dog food, it tends to be easily breakable (like mushy fine mince) whereas the Whiskas cat foods I've seen were smallish actual chunks which would be harder to eat for him (remember, he has to swallow things basically whole with slight chewing). Also, I've had a lot of older water dragon lizards that refuse the Whiskas but the puppy pal tinned dog food gets them EVERY time.

Finally, I would recommend you only have one type of food in the enclosure at a time. If you want to try him on the dog food, take out all the crickets. If you want to try him on crickets, put in 3 or 4 and take all other foods out.

Simon Archibald

What Simon was saying about high traffic is very important. If you cant shut off the room cover the enclosure so he cant see you and everything else that Simey says is ok as well.
When we get rescue water dragons theyare extremely hugh strung and must be left alone. they will very rarely feed while you are watching. Babies would have a similar disposition.
Peter

Firstly careful leaving crickets in with the little guy over night... he may just become a meal for them.

Next... try bok choy chop it up really fine and wet it down with a spray bottle, strong scent gets them going everytime... worth a shot anyway and guaranteed not to eat your lizard

Take care
Matt

Warm him up to about 32 degrees then in a day or so try him on small roaches and he will eat, if not PM me and I WILL HELP, no matter what, I will get the little fella back on Track!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will not loose a herp ever again, I know toooooooo much now!!!!

my little dudes LOVE lettuce, bok choy, crickets and meal worms they arn't too keen on the cat foods though.
please correct me if i'm wrong but isn't mealworms bad for you EWD? they are too fatty or somthing? i hav't given them mealworms since i heard/read that.

Byrony, the prob with meal worms ,as far as im aware, is not fat content, but the tough chitinous(like fingernail stuff) shells. Too many and the shells cannot be digested and can cause impaction(unable to poo). They are best fed after they molt (the mealworms) when the new skin is soft. Thats how I understand it anyway. There may well be a nutrition issue aswell.
Certainly mealworms alone are not a good/balanced diet for anything. Cheers. Just incidently, Ive heard a few people say theres hardly any value in lettuce (reg kind) ??

Update us soon Alan please, hope you got him to eat. :wink:

i use the fancy kind that tastes like dirt that has better butritional value the cos lettuce has mainly water but is nice but not as much nutrience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back