Eastern WD questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benashki

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was reading another thread,which i cant find now:oops:

Anyway,someone suggested changing the enclosure to mainly water in the tank,and then an area for basking etc..

I have done this today ,and put a filter/waterfall type set up in it and my EWD's thank whoever it was that suggested the turn around.. and so do i,I have been LOVING watching them dive in and swim etc..
Before this they just kinda sat in the water but had no room to move.

Ok so the question is...I was thinking of adding some fish..something you would use as feeders.. Is that an option? I dont care if they eat the fish, i was thinking somethin like the neon tetras or similar sizes.

Any thoughts?

Helloooo! I finally found you on here LOL

Anyways, we were wondering if we could put feeder fish in our EWDs water as well..

Any chance of photo's of your enclosures guys? Would be great. any how big thanks?
Cheers,
Kronky

Sure

Image717.jpg

Image719.jpg

Image718.jpg

Size of the enclosure is 4ft by 40 by 60cm

my enclosure is only a temp one till the guys get bigger,then they will be in an aviary style enclosure..

But they are loving it for now.. I can get pic tomorrow..daylight will be better to show the set up

ETA mine WAS similar to the pics above ,but i have reversed it. so its mainly water instead

Thanks mate,

Looks really nice. And very cute dragon. Just the one in there? how old?

Ive got 2 1year old WDs. I'm in Bali at the moment with my parents looking after them. I miss them so much!

Thanks again

i had feeder fish in my inside enclosure when the dragons were growing up, they never caught them, they just died of stress, then the dragons would eat them once they were barely moving.....

Outside ive had goldfish in their pond for years now and they have never managed to catch any.....

we ain't to sure how old he is but he about 15 cm and maybe 30cm with the tail

we ain't to sure how old he is but he about 15 cm and maybe 30cm with the tail

I don't think it's appropriate, actually quite cruel.
The feeder fish will suffer in water that isn't suitable/treated for fish, and stress out when the dragons jump in and out of the water also they will only crap in your dragons water should they survive.

Poor fishies ;_;
And on the other hand if your dragons do snap them up within two minutes it's sort of a waste of money/time.

also they will only crap in your dragons water should they survive.

obviously never kept water dragons lol a little bit of fish crap aint gonna hurt! they foul the water themselves in 24 hours!

If anything i find the fish help, they eat more of the water dragon crap than they crap themselves.... lol

obviously never kept water dragons lol a little bit of fish crap aint gonna hurt! they foul the water themselves in 24 hours!

If anything i find the fish help, they eat more of the water dragon crap than they crap themselves.... lol

I like to keep my dragons tanks spotless, any feces get removed the day they are done regardless of whether or not they are in water.

hey mate i did the exact same thing... i had a kitty litter tray in it filled with water, but then wanted to try sumthin else...sooooo i had a 3 foot reptile one tank... filled it to the doors with water... pit aa fake foam background... lots of branches and plants etc.... and a couple of large rocks.... he love it...... and to top it off.... i have a green tree fog, a perons tree frog, tadpoles and fish (painted tetras, black widdows, glo-lites, catfish etc.... they have been all in there for over 6 months and everything is doing great.... with the exception of 1 of the plants but yea go for it....

james

I still have a fair bit of fiddling to do..i think i might add a turtle stile ramp up out of the water..

S1051120.jpg

water is murky as i have been fiddling around with it all afternoon...

i say back enjoyed it for half hour then saw things i need to change etc.. Now im lookin at it again i see more things i want to change hehehe.
Its never ending!

i think i will get one of the turtle ramp things.. the more i look at it the more i reckon it wld really work for them.

Prior to the change over today they hardly ever used the floor space so i dont think much is needed.

Pity they will outgrow this enclosure before too long

be careful have the entire tank water. i considered it once and had a talk to my mate that breeds ewd every yr and he lost an entire clutch to have the tank all water with a few rocks in it for them to get on.

but looks great. and nice water dragons

i think my EWDs love eachother...:lol:

Is it ok to house them together permanently?

If they are male and female, you will have a breeding pair but obviously you should'nt go ahead with breeding them unless you have all the necessary equipment and knowledge.

Males are quite territorial, it's not uncommon for females to fight either.

So no, unless you are planning on breeding.

they cant breed for a few years can they?... I had thought i neednt worry about that for a while yet???

I wont be breeding these guys ..well at this stage its not the intention,but who knows down the track ..

I had planned on getting them an aviary and putting a pond in there and some branches..etc.. Since they are good diggers..would i be wise in putting a floor on it such as snake mouse mesh?

Looks like two aviaries are needed hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back