Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
As everyone knows, there is an incredible diversity of skinks in Australia. The species list at the moment exceeds 370 species. More species are added each year as a result of new discoveries or the splitting of species complexes. One of my favourite groups of skinks are members of the genus Egernia. These are mostly medium to large lizards that are usually found in rocky habitats. Most of these live within crevices although some, such as White's Skinks (Egernia whitii), will also dig burrows. A few species from the interior are nocturnal sand dwellers.

This post is a summary of the species that I seen along the east coast of Australia. Many of these pics have been included in previous posts but I thought that it might be useful to put these together so that the local/regional variation is obvious.

When hot, Egernia are often wary and hard to approach. The early morning seems to be the best for photographing these skinks since at this time of day, they are intent on basking. I can then usually get quite close and if they flee, I don't have to wait long before they re-emerge from their crevices.

The skinks in this post were photographed at six locations. I will begin with those from Girraween in southeastern Queensland then work my way down to Tasmania.

GIRRAWEEN NATIONAL PARK, QLD -- This park is situated in the region known as the granite belt. This is a herp-rich park and is full of skinks on a warm, sunny day. This granite dome is an excellent place for several species of lizards, particularly Cunningham's Skinks (E. cunninghami).
girraween1.jpg

girraween2.jpg

Cunningham's Skink (Egernia cunninghami) -- New England form. These are very common on granite outcrops in the park. Some lived on rocks in the campground.
cunninghams1_giraween.jpg

cunninghams2_giraween.jpg

cunninghams3_giraween.jpg

cunninghams6_giraween.jpg

cunninghams9_giraween.jpg

White's Skink (Egernia whitii) -- a few seen but outnumbered by both Cunningham's and E. mchpeei.
whites_girraween.jpg

Egernia mcpheei
McPhees1_girraween.jpg

McPhees2_girraween.jpg

MT. KAPUTAR NP, NSW -- an isolated mountain west of the main body of the Great Dividing Range. The park is located in northern NSW. My son and I have visited it once and drove up to the rocky summit where the following photos were taken.
MtKaputar1.jpg

MtKaputar2.jpg

Cunningham's Skink -- I only saw this single Cunningham's. It basked within meters of Tree, White's and "Mt. Kaputar" Skinks. I think that there would be an interesting study here for someone to work out how these large skinks can coexist on the same rocks.
cunninghams1_kaputar.jpg

cunninghams2_kaputar.jpg

White's Skink:
whites1.jpg

whites2.jpg

whites3.jpg

Tree Skink (Egernia striolata):
tree1.jpg

"Mt. Kaputar Skink" -- listed as a known but undescribed species in "A Guide to the Reptiles of New South Wales".
kaputar1.jpg

kaputar2.jpg

kaputar3.jpg

WARRUMBUNGLE NATIONAL PARK, NSW -- another isolated mountain range situated west of the Great Dividing Range. This was once the location of a massive volcano. Now, only the plugs and dykes remain.
warrumbungles1.jpg

warrumbungles2.jpg

warrumbungles3.jpg

Black Rock Skink (Egernia saxatilis saxatilis) -- this race is found only in the Warrumbungles. It is separated from other populations of Black Rock Skinks by a few hundred kilometers. It looks different and I am surprised that in this day of splitting, it has not been re-described as a different species.
blackrock2.jpg

blackrock1.jpg

White's Skinks -- I saw plain-backed, spotted-backed and stripe-backed White's Skinks at the Warrumbungles. They are one of the most abundant lizards encountered in rocky areas along the Grand High Tops walk (upper elevation in the park).
whites6.jpg

whites7.jpg

whites8.jpg

BLUE MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK, NSW -- a couple of hours west of the centre of Sydney.
BlueMtns1.jpg

BlueMtns2.jpg

BlueMtns3.jpg

Cunningham's Skinks -- so far, I have only found a single colony near one of the lookouts.
cunninghams_blueMtns4.jpg

cunninghams_blueMtns1.jpg

cunninghams_blueMtns2.jpg

cunninghams_blueMtns3.jpg

White's Skinks -- common along the edge of the cliffs.
whites4.jpg

whites5.jpg

ROYAL NATIONAL PARK, NSW -- just south of Sydney.
royal5.jpg

... outcrops like this are ideal skink (and other reptile) habitat.
royal3.jpg

Cunningham's Skinks -- I only know of a few colonies and all are in rocks just above the big cliffs near the ocean.
cunninghams_royal2.jpg

cunninghams_royal1.jpg

cunninghams_royal3.jpg

cunninghams_royal5.jpg

cunninghams_royal4.jpg

White's Skinks -- a common lizard on rocky outcrops in the park.
whites8royal.jpg

whites_royal10.jpg

cunninghams_royal6.jpg

whites_royal11.jpg

CARRINGTON FALLS, NSW -- less than an hour from Wollongong.
CarringtonFalls1.jpg

... these rocks are the home to many lizards.
CarringtonFalls2.jpg

Black Rock Skink (Egernia saxatilis intermedia):
blackrock5_mac.jpg

blackrock4_mac.jpg

blackrock3_mac.jpg

TASMAN NATIONAL PARK, TAS

White's Skinks are the only Egernia to be found in Tasmania. In my months there for work, I saw them fairly often in the summer but only managed this single photo from Cape Hauy.
whites1_tas.jpg

Regards,
David

Here are two more Egernia skinks from the east coast:

LAMINGTON NATIONAL PARK, QLD
lamington2.jpg

lamington1.jpg

This is the home of the largest species of Egernia, the Land Mullet (E. major).
landmullet1.jpg

landmullet2.jpg

landmullet3.jpg

MT. GLORIOUS, QLD
mtGlorious.jpg

CAPE HILLSBOROUGH NATIONAL PARK, QLD
capehills1.jpg

The above shots are the habitat of Major Skinks (E. frerei). I found this to be one of the most difficult Egernia to approach. They are quick to flee to cover and then will remain hidden sometimes for more than an hour.
frerei1.jpg

frerei2.jpg

frerei3.jpg

Regards,
David

Great pics, it really does emphasis the variation within species when you can look at them all together like that, particularly with the white's skinks.
Richard Shine has done some research on competition between some of these Egernia skinks as well as Eulamprus species that share habitat: http://www.springerlink.com/content/4xg2kmjv6vjbkwcu/fulltext.pdf

moloch05 that was the best thread i have seen on APS! congratulations on a job very well done! Brad.

Thanks for the kind remarks. I am glad that the photos are enjoyed.

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back