egg help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilegirl

Reaction score
g'day all
well i was just doing a bit of gardening and i came across a clutch of eggs.. and i have no idea what to do with them... should i relocate the "nest" or try incubating them?? the eggs are pretty circular and would be umm half a cm to 1cm in size... any ideas?
cheers
Megz

Could you put them back where you found them? or is it all messed up??

they will probably be skink eggs. Try putting them back or maybe you could incubate them for a bit of fun? Put them with some of the soil covering them in an ice cream container and put some cling wrap over the top. Put it on the window sill and see whathappens. Unless of course u have an incubator already

What size eggs? Skink eggs or Larger lizard eggs?
Personally I would leave them where they are. Just cover them up how they were when you found them.
If there small skink eggs there probably Lampropholis delicata...

i've tried to remake the "nest" they were layed under the couple of inches of bark/mulch we have out on the gardens.. but i'm still not sure... will they spoil now cos i have disturbed them or should they be right? i'd love to incubate them n see what they are.. is that just thinking of myself?
Megz

if you incubate make sure you release where you found the eggs, and i think no harm done.........cos thats where they were ment to be laid.

on the otehr hand they should be left in the garden, as its wrong to remove them, and what lives etc etc

I think they should be left where they were found, better to not interfere

incubate them...i did a course at sydney tech and we were given some eggs to incubate as i outlined before. Mine turned out to be weasel skinks...we called the mustelina..when they were hatching i took an unhatched one and rolled it between my fingers and the lizards split the egg shell and hatched in my hands. i let them go in my mum's garden and there are still weasel skinks there to this day. very interesting. I have also done this with the garden skink and delicata and then released them too. my garden here is full of them also

mmm personally i think using you shouldn't interfere with nature" a reason to not incubate them yourself. you already have might as well make sure they hatch. or you could take maybe half the eggs and incubate them and leave half in the nest you rebuilt. any pics meg?

also with the normal garden skinks where do they lay their eggs? i am always finding baby garden skinks tini little things and i am curious to know where they are coming from.

andrew

When I was young I tried that with a couple of small eggs (probably garden skinks) I found in the garden but unfortunately I gave them too much moisture and they went mouldy. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back