Eggs Shelling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Geeza

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just read that people let the eggs shell before placing in incubator... Could someone tell me roughly how long this takes? .... Thanks :?

I'd like to know this also... And while we're on eggs (and I hope you don't mind Mids)

I have an un expected 7 lizard eggs. Got the incubator at 31c (damp Bunnings play sand, eggs pushed down about 1/4 - 1/2 in the sand)
There is a lot of condensation, especially on the lid and sides of the inside of the incubator. (eggs still seem dry though, no droplets on them)
Is this a worry, should I place some paper towel on the inside of the lid/drill some more holes to stop the condensation/absorb the moisture?

Oh and should the probe of the thermostat be placed on the lid inside the incubator or on the sand in between the eggs?

Thanks for the help guys.

A snake can't pass an egg as you probably know a snake egg to be like.
Eggs have fairly tough leathery shells that are flexible but they aren't laid like that.
If your talking about my bhp eggs where I mentioned that, it may or may not make a difference.
Eggs come out like the consistency of jelly. difficult to pick up, because a freshly laid egg is coated in a substance (someone else may know what it is actually called) that oxidises with contact with the air. Over about 5-10 mins this substance (i'll call it egg glue ) hardens and sticks to whatever it touches (hopefully the other eggs). This process is what keep all the eggs orientated so that they dont roll and kill the embryo. A reptile egg cannot be rolled or the embryo drowns in the embryonic fluid. As I wait for eggs to be laid my rack is sitting in the egg tub on top of an enclosure over the heat source to try and keep the temps of the eggs high but exposed to air to get a good hard shell. then i put them in the incubator. otherwise i would be lifting the eggs in and out every 30 mins to put an egg in. Bhp are a big egg and easy to rob the nest as it is laid, other species I just let lay in a clump and incubate like that.

A snake can't pass an egg as you probably know a snake egg to be like.
Eggs have fairly tough leathery shells that are flexible but they aren't laid like that.
If your talking about my bhp eggs where I mentioned that, it may or may not make a difference.
Eggs come out like the consistency of jelly. difficult to pick up, because a freshly laid egg is coated in a substance (someone else may know what it is actually called) that oxidises with contact with the air. Over about 5-10 mins this substance (i'll call it egg glue ) hardens and sticks to whatever it touches (hopefully the other eggs). This process is what keep all the eggs orientated so that they dont roll and kill the embryo. A reptile egg cannot be rolled or the embryo drowns in the embryonic fluid. As I wait for eggs to be laid my rack is sitting in the egg tub on top of an enclosure over the heat source to try and keep the temps of the eggs high but exposed to air to get a good hard shell. then i put them in the incubator. otherwise i would be lifting the eggs in and out every 30 mins to put an egg in. Bhp are a big egg and easy to rob the nest as it is laid, other species I just let lay in a clump and incubate like that.
Thanks mate... Appreciated... And yes the question was asked after reading an old thread of yours... Cheers Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back