Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally have not been bitten, however my father was bitten about 10 years ago by an unknown sp while walking the dog in bushland. He didn't know he had been bitten until many days later. He collapsed at work 14 hours after the bite, and with a family history of heart attack and stroke this is how it was treated. After running a few tests, finding blood spots on the sheets and puncture marks in his calf that continued to bleed without clotting and spending 4 days in hospital with chest pain, muscle cramps and aches, and burning sensations that moved throughout his body, they worked out it had been a snakebite. He remembers feeling it, but not even looking down as he thought it was just thorns from the low chinee apple shrub he was walking past. He still has hot waves, chest pains and temporary loss of sensation and taste occasionally as a result of that bite, although they are less frequent now days.

i've never been bitten but when i was a kid we had a 6ft taipan in the yard not 10ft from me. the only reason we knew it was there was it was in the middle of a showdown with the neighbours cat. the best encounter i've had was at my dads i was clearing out his peachfaces from one aviary to another. i bumped the hollowed out log on the ground and a 4ft RBB came out all fired up i've never said **** so many times in my life stuck in a cage 6x4ft with and angry snake i whacked my head getting out of there haha.

I've been hit once by one of my Rbbs. Sat down, **** bricks for a minute, and then got the missus to take me to hospital. Did a wipe, jab,etc, but it was only a fright bite. Now I'm really, REALLY, careful. Still love my Rbbs though!

Here's an elapid bite for ya! This poor guy was being chewn on by a much larger snake before it's "rescue" (sorry, couldn't resist:D)!

ive kept venemous snakes for many years and ive never been bitten, i also remove problem snakes mostly venomous from the wild and collected and held them for venom collection with not even one close call. the reason is i never show off when im handling them and i only handle them when its needed.
i enjoy keeping my vens more then keeping my pythons WHY??? I JUST DO!!!!.
Every hobby has its danger but until we really look we never see it right away, if you dont like vens dont keep them.
and yes saying curls and brown tree snakes are not dangerous is not a wise thing to say because as we all know there are alot of people out there who can die from a single bee sting, and a bite from a curl or a brown tree can do the same thing to alot of keepers out there with out them even knowing it until its to late

A mate of mine died due to complications from a little whip snake bite. Anaphylaxis is no joke, and the worst bit is it doesn't take an awful lot to set yourself up for it and then trigger it off. Any form of venom can spell trouble in my books. He once told me he'd nearly died from a previous bite from one of these snakes, and until the last outcome, I thought he was pulling my leg! How wrong I was.

I got bitten twice by a Yellow Faced WhipSnake a few weeks ago I stupidly tried to pin it. It was as painfull as a bee sting but more spread out. Both my arms where swollen and did not want to move. I had trouble typing on the computer for a few days.

here we go, nausea, shortness of breath, blurred vision, loss of awareness of surroundings. difficulty in focusing on a thought, need to crap, need to pee, cant pee but you know eventually your going to crap in your pants(at least you are focusing on something), vomiting, cant focus, cant stand up, sound is distorted, overall weakness.
Oh forgot about the pain in your joints, the headache and the bleeding.

I've been bitten by a whip snake, slight swealling like you would from a mozzie bite,

Nothing from a few good bites from a BTS, yet a friend if he's bitten gets a fair reaction, and that has gradually gottern worse with each bite.

Never been hit by a snake, but did get bitten on the foot by a Trap Door spider. Taking a drunken wizz on the lawn at night and bang... instant horrendous pain like an iron post being driven through my foot. My foot swelled up three times its normal size and i suffered regular bouts of dizziness and vomiting, cold sweats and hot flushes for about three days. Not a lot of fun.

there are no "safe" elapids in my opinion. the problem is allergic reaction. i have never owned any vens as im only 16 but as soon as im old enough i cant wait :D but yeah, the problem is, you cant be sure if your allergic or not until your bitten and then its too late.

here we go, nausea, shortness of breath, blurred vision, loss of awareness of surroundings. difficulty in focusing on a thought, need to crap, need to pee, cant pee but you know eventually your going to crap in your pants(at least you are focusing on something), vomiting, cant focus, cant stand up, sound is distorted, overall weakness.
Oh forgot about the pain in your joints, the headache and the bleeding.

Sounds a little bit like fight-or-flight.

Ask the doctors it was their call not mine. And yes it was deadly error on their part, then again it was a deadly error on my part for getting bitten in the first place.

Dropped half a brown on my hand and noticed a spot of blood. I thought i was all good but i told my boss what had happened just incase i khaked it and she dragged my off to hospital. 8 hours later they told me i was all good.

Posing for the photo.
DSC00141.jpg

I have been bitten by a yellow face whip snake (multiple times) and a white crown snake. Neither had any effect but as others have said if a venom is involved there can be any number of complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back