Emerald Monitors seized in Europe

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickson

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Received the latest edition of the TRAFFIC Bulletin during the week, and noticed that there appears to be an increase in the illegal trade of these lizards.

March 2003, 42 Emerald Monitors (of two different subspecies) and 61 Green Tree Pythons seized at Prague Airport in Czech Republic.

January 2004, an attempt was made to illegally import into Czech Republic 115 reptiles including 20 Emerald Monitors (of three different subspecies) and two Crocodile Monitors (Varanus salvadorii).

In November 2004, 50 Emerald Monitors were seized at Zagreb Airport when a Croatian national brought them in his hand luggage. He'd bought them in a market in Jakarta.

All the Monitors from these shipments had come from Indonesia, which has banned the export of wild-caught Emerald Monitors (Varanus prasinus).

A Czech national has been sentenced to three years jail.

:p

Hix

Slateman, where were you? :lol:

Emeral monitors are probly the most stunning of any green reptile! Yes even gtps! :)

yeah does any one keep emerald monitors in Asutralia?

The NSW NPWS returns don't list anyone in NSW as having this species.

Hix

re Emerald

Good to see they are into keeping reptiles in croatia,its better than fighting each other.The removal of some GTPs and emerald monitors means sqatt for the species survival,what does matter is the wholesale destruction of rainforrest and other environments that the animals are dependant on where they live. :roll:

I agree, they view it as a huge success story when they seize these animals and in a small way it is but the destruction seems to go on unabated. We only have something like 10% of the rainforest we used to have some 200 years ago.

At least if there's heaps in captivity we can keep the species from extinction. But it would be nice to do more about deforestation and hunting/trading so that future generations can see these creatures in the wild too.

i heard there is one pair in QLD on licence.

I agree that deforestation is a serious problem that needs immediate addressing, but I don't think that is a valid reason for not being concerned with the trade in the animals. Yes, they view it as a success story, but Customs in Croatia can't really do anything about deforestation in Indonesia.

zulu said:
The removal of some GTPs and emerald monitors means sqatt for the species survival

The numbers I quoted might mean squat, but that's just for the detections in Croatia and Czech. There would be many more undetected illegal shipments in many other parts of the world - not just Europe. Unregulated collection from the wild can also be extremely detrimental to a species survival, in some cases more serious than habitat loss (remember the Passenger Pigeon?).

Hix

re Emerald

I think passenger pigeons were decimated for food by trapping and shooting Hix from memory hix.Reptiles are a different storey to birds hixy,rather like sadji comparing mammals bred for temprament to reptiles.What we are talking about (reptiles) in the form of emerald tree monitors and GTPs comes under animals removed from the wild for whatever reason.There has been studys done on removal in australia and you would be aware of them and they show little long term impacts to wild populations as long as the environment stays intact eg NT and WA.I can think of some exceptions notably the various land tortoise species especially those of the gallapogas islands. :)

Zulu,

It doesn't matter why they were decimated, the fact remains that what was considered the most populous bird on the planet was exterminated, not by habitat destruction, but by removal of animals from the wild (live collecting, shooting, poisoning, it makes little difference). Passenger Pigeons numbered in the billions, and everyone thought they could never become extinct. The extinction took less than 50 years, the last one dieing in 1913, when the world wasn't as populated or technologically advanced as it is today.

I refer now back to my previous post where I said
Unregulated collection from the wild can also be extremely detrimental to a species survival, in some cases more serious than habitat loss
and used the Passenger Pigeon as an example of a species with a large population and range becoming extinct. I still stand by that argument. Just because some research in the NT and WA says that some populations of some species can be harvested for the Australian market with no detrimental impacts on those species doesn't mean that fact applies to all species, especially those where collection is not regulated/monitored and collection is for the herp hungry markets of Europe. the USA, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Zulu said:
There has been studys done on removal in australia and they show little long term impacts to wild populations as long as the environment stays intact eg NT and WA. I can think of some exceptions notably the various land tortoise species especially those of the gallapogas islands.

You've actually hit the nail on the head with your final comment - island species are at the greatest risk as they have many more threats to contend with and are particularly vulnerable to stochastic events.

The monitors that were seized all came from Indonesia, an country made up of some 17,500 islands..................

Hix

re Emerald

zulu said:
Good to see they are into keeping reptiles in croatia, its better than fighting each other.
Thease would'nt have been for keepers in croatia, they would have been taken to a eurpoean market and sold on, with the sole intention of making a quick profit.
Is it still correct to say Australia refuses to participate or recognize CITES ?
Anyone know why ?
And theres no-way collecting will have a detrimental effect on 99% of species, habitat destruction is THE biggest threat to any specie.
The story of the passenger pigeon has hardly any revalance to this !
Thousands of people were hunting them for food, it was a staple diet in most houses, as far as i know theres no one putting posion down for any reptiles, and the last house i went in never had any emerald monitors in the fridge !! or green tree pythons on gas mark 6 !
So unless we are going to start eating reptiles as often as we eat say.....chicken! i dont think theres any threat !
with regards to

Unregulated collection from the wild can also be extremely detrimental to a species survival, in some cases more serious than habitat loss

i agree with that one for about 50-50%, or 100% if you were only on about an island.
That is what nearly happened to a few species of geckoes, they were found on one island, over collected & then thought to be extinct in the wild, until they found large groups on other islands.
which would be a simular situation with emerald monitors, they are excellent swimmers, and with 17,500 islands to choose from !!
America i believe is the biggest importer of wild collected animails, and i was told europe the second. Australia has an ever growing reptile market !

re Emerald

Moreliaman said:
Is it still correct to say Australia refuses to participate or recognize CITES ?

I don't know where you heard that. Australia was one of the first countries to ratify CITES and has always been at the forefront of curbing illegal trade in endangered species. The Conservation and Biodiversity Act of 1999 was written with CITES in mind. A big broo-haha recently took place when Taronga Zoo organised to import 5 Asian elephants, spent millions on exhibits and advertising, promotions, fund-raising etc, and then found they didn't have CITES permits. For a long time it looked like the Govt wouldn't issue them.

And theres no-way collecting will have a detrimental effect on 99% of species, habitat destruction is THE biggest threat to any specie.

Agreed. But to condone it, when it breaches international laws, simply because habitat destruction is a worse threat is just stupid. Especially when there is no census or research done on the effects trade is having on the species.
The story of the passenger pigeon has hardly any revalance to this !
Thousands of people were hunting them for food, it was a staple diet in most houses, as far as i know theres no one putting posion down for any reptiles, and the last house i went in never had any emerald monitors in the fridge !! or green tree pythons on gas mark 6 !
So unless we are going to start eating reptiles as often as we eat say.....chicken! i dont think theres any threat !

You still seem to be missing the point. So I'll say it again.

What is not relevant is the fact that using a bird as an analogy. What is relevant is the fact that this species became extinct by collecting - there was no loss of habitat, in fact, much of the original habitat still stands.

This species became extinct because man overcollected. There were more Passenger pigeons in North America 200 years ago than there are human beings alive today.

In 1870 a flock flew over Cincinatti. It was about one mile wide and 320 miles long. In 1806 the American ornithologist Alexander Wilson visited a breeding ground a few miles wide and 64 miles long. He estimated it contained 2.2 billion birds. In 1813 John James Audubon witnessed a flock he estimated to be 1.015 billion strong. And each of those instances are of just one flock - there were several flocks right across North America.

And that wasn't a typo - billion.

And the species was hunted and collected to extinction. With no habitat loss.

Yes, they were hunted for food. So what, that makes no difference, only in the timeframe. If you like I can tell you about Spix's Macaw, a bird that was collected for the pet trade - it's now extinct in the wild and there are only about 30 birds alive in captivity. Not eaten, no habitat loss, and not found on an island - mainland South America.

You are of course, assuming that no-one in Indonesia eats these lizards either. Nor anyone in Hong Kong or Singapore. False assumption, methinks.

That is what nearly happened to a few species of geckoes, they were found on one island, over collected & then thought to be extinct in the wild, until they found large groups on other islands.
which would be a simular situation with emerald monitors, they are excellent swimmers, and with 17,500 islands to choose from !!

Except when collectors empty an island of the species they are targeting, they paddle to the other islands too.

America i believe is the biggest importer of wild collected animails, and i was told europe the second. Australia has an ever growing reptile market !

True. Except Australia does not allow the importation of exotic reptiles except in the case of zoos. And they have to get captive bred animals from other zoos. And the imported animals can't be sold to the public.

The global illegal trade in wildlife and wildlife parts is estimated by some to generate more revenue than any other trade, except drugs. More profits than arms dealing. With that much money available is it any wonder that so many species are endangered?

My original post reported the fact that in three separate seizures in one small part of the world, 112 Emerald Monitors were seized. If these were the only Emeralds exported from Indonesia then I would have to agree - the removal of that number would have a negligible effect on the wild population.

But 112 is just the tip of the iceberg. The number isn't important (and wasn't my original point), what is important ius the fact that Emerald Minotors are being illegally exported from Indonesia.

And anyone who thinks that it's only 112 animals has no concept of the realties conservation bodies face.

OK, I've finished ranting. Congratulations on getting this far. Sorry it went on so long but I get very frustrated when people can't see what I see.

Hix

those chill pills....take the whole box m8 :wink:
sometimes for reasons of personal sanity i think its better to keep your views to yourself, ill keep that in mind next time with your posts hix ! :lol:

OK, if someone tells me what CITES is then I will also add it to the glossary.

And yes Hixey, it is frustrating when people don't see what you see. that is just a negative of written forums. We can cover so much more in 3 minutes of talking than we can in 10 pages of written stuff.

You are saying one thing and 10 diffferent people are all reading it as 10 different things.

I knew you would know. and don't forget Friday night. We will get your female EWD when you are here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back