enclosure lighting/ heating questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smillies.snakes

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question. Picking up a enclosure tomorrow but have never setup a place for snakes. So what sort of lights do people use / recommend and what do people suggest for heating. Setup is around 800 x 500 x 1200 (WxDxH) with two screw bulb fittings at top. There is a thermostat not 100% as to what is connected to the thermo will find out after I pick it up. Sorry if this is a topic that has been gone over I tried searching but couldn't find what I needed. And sorry if this is a newbie topic but I'm new to snakes. So any advice will be greatly appreciated.
thanks for reading.
Chris

I have an 11month old diamond python. I currently just use a heat cord as he is in a small enclosure until he grows a bit and will move into his big one.

Im sure you know all this, but ill write it anyway as my help someone else. s

some people prefer heat cords/mats, others prefer infrared lamps or ceramic lamps. Heaps of people say that bulbs from bunnings work just s well as reptile branded ones. You have to work out what you prefer and what works best in your enclosure. Whatever you decide, get it all setup and have it running for several days straight before you get your snake so you can fix any problems.

Being a fairly small enclosure you need to be careful to make sure you don't lose your thermal gradient, having a vertical enclosure is a good start as heat naturally rises. You could use one bulb fitting for a UV bulb (debatable whether it is essential) and other for heat lamp. But like I said a heat lamp needs to not be too strong, or you won't have a big enough gradient, you could end up heating whole enclosure which is not what you want.

If it was me this is what i would ideally do!

1) Put a hide at the bottom with no heat
2) put a little shelf for basking near top of enclosure, about a foot below where the bottom of a bulb/cage would sit. You could run this at your top temp for several hours a day.
3) put another little shelf about half way up enclosure with a cord running through it, then a slate tile and a hide on top of it. You could run this at a moderate temp constantly or thoughout winter.

Water bowl should be big enough for snake to coil up in and goes at bottom of enclosure. Also put a tree branch going from bottom of enclosure up to the top shelf so he can get there. Securely hang some fake vines from ceiling for cover and to make it feel secure.

That way you would definately keep your gradient, but could still provide adequate heat and hide options for your scale baby.

if you definately want to use a bulb for heat rather than a cord I think infrared would be best.

This is all just from what I've read and learnt recently. But I am NO expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back