Enclosures habitat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmdog

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
OK a question, would the size of an enclosure have any effect on growth rate of a python, feeding patterns and toiletry and shed?

I don't know the answer to that question, however I would imagine that keeping say an olive in an enclosure the size of an childreni (eg) would be detremental to its health.

I know that fish will only grow to the size of their enclosure, however I would not imagine that this would be the case with reptiles... happy to be proved wrong though (it happens more often than I would like... :lol:)

I'd say no, it wouldnt have any effect on the growth rate, alot of snakes prefer small spaces, but keeping a large snake in cramped conditions, im sure could have negative effects on its health,
The thing with fish is a bit different to reptiles, saying fish only grow acording to the size of their enclosure is true to a certain extent, when fish produce waste, they also emit a chemical with it, if this chemical builds up to high levels it will stunt the growth of the fish. This would only usually happen in ponds and small lakes or any small body of water, i.e your aquarium.
They only way you could immitate this is by not doing any water changes to your aquarium, but there are other chemicals that can also slowly build up in aquarium enviroments and when they reach toxic levels they can kill everything in the tank, so regular partial water changes are recomended as essential and id say a necessity, otherwise you wouldnt be keeping the fish in the best conditions you could provide.
Im sure no one on here only replies to a thread with the sole intentional view of proving you wrong, although some may be slightly intimidating than others in thier replies. :wink:

Cage size doesn't affect growth but it would ultimately possibly affect health if the snake was literally crammed into a cage obviously too small for it. As has been said snakes seem to prefer a small, secure cage but you must know the limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back