Everyday the Bearded questions?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROWNS

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
OK,Maybe I got out of bed on the wrong side today or should have stayed in bed and away from the computer but I didn't and got on here as I usually do most days.My problem is that I'm so sick of getting on here and checking out topics to read and everytime I come across a Bearded thread such as"My Beardy's not eating,please HELP!,or Help please my beardy's not moving etc etc etc.And again today as I just got on there's another thread asking for advice on their Bearded.This is something I see every single time I log on to checkout what's happening and of course I know I don't have to read these threads and I don't but I'm just getting sick of the continous threads asking for help with Bearded Dragons.

Now please don't get me wrong as it's good to ask questions when you're unsure of certain things but it seems many many people think Bearded Dragons are a sinch to care for and are easy to care for making a great first reptile so why so many questions asking for help?It seems more often than not that it's newbies who have bought a bearded from a pet shop on an impulse buy without having any idea on how to care for it and have done no research on them prior to purchasing and then they have troubles and ask for help when they should at least have done some research on the husbandry of Bearded Dragons or even better purchased a couple of books which should provide all the info needed and more without coming on here and asking all sorts of simple questions.

Maybe it's just me and I'm being an a bit too anal about this but it's been getting to me for ages because each time I get on this forum without fail there's a thread asking for help on Bearded Dragons which aren't anything like caring for a python and take a lot more care than it seems many people think.If it's just me that it bugs well that's just me then however I suspect many others think the same in one way or another.

Message behind this thread is please do some research on any animal you're thinking of purchasing especially if it's your first reptile and don't just listen to the person at the pet shop if that's where it was purchased and buy a book and do some online research before aquiring your first beloved pet reptile and then finding out there's a hell of a lot more to know than you thought to look after a Bearded Dragon and have it thrive and live happily for a long time!!!

That's my winge for the day and sorry to take up others time but I had to bring the topic up as I've previously mentioned there are threads asking for help on Beardeds every single time I log on and like I said I don't bother reading the threads however it's obvious many people ,mainly newbies need to research their animal and know how to look after it before buying it on a whim or impulse buy especially from a regular pet shop!!!

Righto,flame away peoples!!!!!!!!!!!1

I completely agree with you one this. I'm getting sick of alot of threads, not just beardie related ones, that are covered countless times, yet still pop up every day or two. Search forums, search the internet, read up and stuff before you purchase. It's really not that hard....

I agree and disagree. I have started help threads on topics that have been covered in a round about way which I searched the net for... but needed a direct answer to a specific question.

888lolowndes,I know where you're coming from and as I mentioned it's good to ask questions, it's also fine to ask questions if you have researched and tried finding the answer to your questions with no luck,then fire away and I'm sure you'll get an answer or many answers from people who have had experience with what it is you are asking help for.At least ou tried finding out through research first instead of jumping on theforum straight away and asking the question without even having tried to find out by yourself.

I'm glad it's not just me:lol:

Geez BROWNS, and it's not even hatchy season yet, wait for another month or two and see how many threads there are ;)..... Your right though, Bearded Dragons are complex creatures and vastly under estimated by the majority of new owners, my pet hate is threads asking for "whats a good first lizard" and people recommending BD's, .... their a great first lizard if you have half an idea about herps, but sadly the majority of newbies have no idea.

Is it possible that a PM is automatically sent to newcomers referring them to the search function and sticky threads?

I do alot of reading on each specific species of reptile I keep but sometimes no amount of research can prepare you for certain senarioes (sp?) that happen. Though i do know the threads you mean... not long back a bloke was saying his Beardie is sick but didn't even know what a UV light was!!!! I think a basic test on reptiles should be sent out and filled out by a licence applicant and should they pass only then can they receive their licence. This may include simple questions such as what is needed in a Bearded Dragon set up or what is needed in a pythons set up and this will encourage applicants to research before buying and help avoid sick lizards or snakes from simple husbandry mistakes. It will also stop people from starting threads asking silly questions because of impulse buys.

I do alot of reading on each specific species of reptile I keep but sometimes no amount of research can prepare you for certain senarioes (sp?) that happen. Though i do know the threads you mean... not long back a bloke was saying his Beardie is sick but didn't even know what a UV light was!!!! I think a basic test on reptiles should be sent out and filled out by a licence applicant and should they pass only then can they receive their licence. This may include simple questions such as what is needed in a Bearded Dragon set up or what is needed in a pythons set up and this will encourage applicants to research before buying and help avoid sick lizards or snakes from simple husbandry mistakes. It will also stop people from starting threads asking silly questions because of impulse buys.

The problem with that is.. everyone keeps reptiles differently.. a curtain way you do it may seem bad in another persons view. What if someone kept a bearded dragon one way (the dragon was healthy) and then another person keeps theres in a different way and thinks that there not caring for it properly?

lol.

why dont you just not open these threads. i see its a python sight, but its more a reptile community, do you complain about coastal threads? monitor? frog? im sorry these awfully silly members are ruining your site.

no matter what forum, you will have similar threads. unfortunately its life.

The problem with that is.. everyone keeps reptiles differently.. a curtain way you do it may seem bad in another persons view. What if someone kept a bearded dragon one way (the dragon was healthy) and then another person keeps theres in a different way and thinks that there not caring for it properly?

Not indepth questions everyone keeps a bearded dragon in a similar way... 10% Uv light needed and a heating unit..... everyone keeps a python with a heating unit and voluntary UV. As mentioned some people don't even know a lizard needs UV.

What annoys me is ppl wasting thread space just to bag out somebody else wasting thread space. Get over it and get a life. You were a beginner once, now let the newbies have their turn at the forum. One day, the noobs of today will also be bagging out newcomers - oh they do that already.

Now you can go back to bed :p and hopefully wake up in a nicer mood

I guess this is case in point of how people can take two completely different meanings from posts. Nothing that I read in that first post said to me that this was some elitist put down of people "wasting thread space". It seemed to me to be expressing a perfectly valid concern about the fact that there are an alarming number of people seemingly conducting no research whatsoever before buying these animals. This is how you end up with animals getting sick and potentially even dying. Well....this and people who get given perfectly good advice by vets/long term keepers/etc but reject it because it's just too hard or someone else said they heard you can't do that during a full moon....

If that's what the first post was about and I haven't misunderstood it then I agree totally.

Browns, i know where your coming from !
the bottom line is RESEARCH, learn 1st, not buy 1st & learn later.
it's not rocket science !!!......................................

As they say better to ask a silly question then make a silly mistake, or save your herps life. A lot of people ask here as the crap advice given by a lot of pets shops is just that crap. I am just so pleased we have some many experts on here. ---k the search function just ask a question, if you think the thread is a waste of time then move onto the next

"As they say better to ask a silly question then make a silly mistake, or save your herps life. A lot of people ask here as the crap advice given by a lot of pets shops is just that crap"

I was just coming in to say this!

I would rather have a thousand new herp owners asking "dumb" questions, than have a thousand dead reptiles.

Some people DO research beforehand (however they do it) but things crop up.

I had researched what I thought was EVERYTHING i could think of. I asked experts, read the internet, etc. Within 3 weeks of getting my beardies, one of them developed a large lump on the side of his neck. No-one had told me about this. I came here, and was told very nicely by an experienced member, and bam. Fixed and done!

Let them ask their questions. It's not going to hurt you in anyway shape or form. Don't read those threads, and let those who actually WANT to educate people about herps do the work!

"As they say better to ask a silly question then make a silly mistake, or save your herps life. A lot of people ask here as the crap advice given by a lot of pets shops is just that crap"

I was just coming in to say this!

I would rather have a thousand new herp owners asking "dumb" questions, than have a thousand dead reptiles.

Some people DO research beforehand (however they do it) but things crop up.

I had researched what I thought was EVERYTHING i could think of. I asked experts, read the internet, etc. Within 3 weeks of getting my beardies, one of them developed a large lump on the side of his neck. No-one had told me about this. I came here, and was told very nicely by an experienced member, and bam. Fixed and done!

Let them ask their questions. It's not going to hurt you in anyway shape or form. Don't read those threads, and let those who actually WANT to educate people about herps do the work!

I have to agree with you on this, the good thing about this forum is you don't have to read it if you don't want to. I'd prefer questions to dead reptiles anyday.

Lol. Looks as though a few people got up from the wrong side of the bed this morning. lol
I'm 110% behind your initial posting Browns........ but yet what i hate even more so is that its allowed to continue.........and its often the EXACT questions being asked by newcomers. From my point of view this is where moderators need to come in and enforce the features of the forum on offer (ie the search function). Otherwise the forum just becomes simply cluttered with useless chatter.

Better yet why dont we have home link just for "New Reptile Owners- Basic & FAQ's"

Why not have a "Newbies Question" section? Many of the other forums I visit have a section on the main page that is SOLELY for new member questions. I'm not talking about the Intro section, but a Dedicated section for all those "annoyingly NEW questions" that way, they are all in the one place, they don't get swallowed up in the general forums and go pages back, and for those very very common questions, they are stickies. Newbies find new forums hard to navigate anyway, lets make it easier for everyone, and lessen the stress on these older, tired members. :)

Yes Kersten you are spot on re understanding my post as well as the many others who agree.To those saying get over it or just don't read the thread please read my post thoroughly as I don't bother reading these threads however they constantly come up with the same q's being asked over and over and I also mentioned that if people have done research but still can't find an answer to a legit question fire away....cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back