Everyday the Bearded questions?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People want answers to questions damn it Browns.Why should they bother doing any research beforehand.A lot can't even put any effort into spelling etc and you expect they research! Spoonfed keepers they way of the future.

I guess when theres a system that alows pepole to purchase an animal with little knowledge about it and its care these sort of constant questions and threads are going to be something the wider herp community are going to have to put up with. Unless forums want to put a sticky up for every type of reptile and problem pepole are going to jump on here and ask . Guess we got live with it

People want answers to questions damn it Browns.Why should they bother doing any research beforehand.A lot can't even put any effort into spelling etc and you expect they research! Spoonfed keepers they way of the future.

haha true.
its not just herps unfortunately alot of customers come into work for advise and i wonder what they are actually doing with that animal to begin with. it amazes me the amount of beardie keepers that believe that a staple diet of just unsupplamented crickets is sufficient for there pet. at the end of the day i dont think its a big ask fro people to do alittle more research. as said beardies are the easiest animals to care for, you can follow just about any care sheet and get it right.
people are taking n the attitude of buy animal now and learn how to care and what it needs later. in my opinion and from what i see at the pet shop, this is the case more often then not.

IMO, parks and wildlife are to blame here ! instead of just giving a licence to anyone who puts their hand up for one, they should be made pass a basic knowledge questionnaire of husbandry requirements for reptiles: snakes / lizards / turtles..........................SIMPLE !!!

I (as someone who is such a noob they haven't even got the beardie yet) am so thankful these forums are here and there are so many helpful people. I found the sight doing research, i used the search function and read through ALL (well lots anyway) the threads (with all the conflicting advice on just about every subject), bought the books and i still asked dumb questions :oops:.

I have to agree with the above points - I was amazed at the ease of getting a licence (what is the point? i gave my name and address and they gave me a licence?). I am also amazed at the petshops that sell these animals - so far (whilst setting up the tank), i have been told that i don't need a heat lamp, and then another petshop said i don't need a UV light, and sand is fine for baby dragons?. Is it any wonder people buy the animals, taking what the pet store says as gospel, and then end up on here with sick animals?

I also think that no matter how read you are, its very different when you actually have the animal.

And please excuse any stupid questions that will be asked in the near future (when i actually have one to ask about...) ;):lol:

Pet shops need a bit of a rude awakening I think, because I have been offered terrible advice before, and if I hadn't known better, my reptiles could be severely suffering for it. I have been told my beardies don't need uv if they have a heat source, and then she tried to sell me a heat mat. I was even recommended by a pet store owner that I should be feeding my python crickets, :shock: because she was out of mice.

I thought pet stores had to do a husbandry course to sell reptiles?? They should, at the very least, read a couple of the books they sell before giving stupid advice.

Pet shops need a bit of a rude awakening I think, because I have been offered terrible advice before, and if I hadn't known better, my reptiles could be severely suffering for it. I have been told my beardies don't need uv if they have a heat source, and then she tried to sell me a heat mat. I was even recommended by a pet store owner that I should be feeding my python crickets, :shock: because she was out of mice.

I thought pet stores had to do a husbandry course to sell reptiles?? They should, at the very least, read a couple of the books they sell before giving stupid advice.

Hea Hea

I find it very difficult to even sell reptiles. I ask the prospective buyer a tone of questions on how are they going to care for the little guy and over half dont know and then after I explain how to care for them some go off the idea of keeping reptiles. I have even refused to sell until the buyer has an enclosure set up first and read some stuff. I do this in a nice way and most reply with increased knowlage and are happy with how I helped them and then there mate calls and we start over again.
I am also going to do a very detailed care sheet for each reptile sold.
Maby if we all do this when we sell reptiles then things will improve. And as for the pet shops the some thing has happened here, so go in armed with care sheets, ask some simple questions and if they get it realy wrong then hit them with care sheets. I have done this and now the pet store owner is my "friend" . When the pet stores get it right and we all pass on information to take away with the sold reptile, then things may get better.

Real testing for Reptile licence is great it can also weed out the trophy keepers and let dedicated herperp get it right from the beginning.

I think many who are not doing the research and asking this sort of question are doing themselves an injustice. There are more then a few occasion where you will see terrible advice posted on these threads that may not be corrected for some time because those with experience don't even read the thread.

To all the newbies reading this thread (and probably feeling a bit affronted) I'll offer 3 pieces of advice:
1) Just because someone says something confidently, doesn't make it right.
2) Basic research in published books and papers not only answers many of the simple questions, it gives you enough knowledge to pick good advice from bad. This can save you a lot of heartache in the future.
3) When taking advice on forums, look at other posts from the people offering advice. Members are generally faceless nicknames, I've seen one member in particular confidently offer advice to someone then post a thread asking advice for a dangerous rookie mistake.

I guess this is case in point of how people can take two completely different meanings from posts. Nothing that I read in that first post said to me that this was some elitist put down of people "wasting thread space". It seemed to me to be expressing a perfectly valid concern about the fact that there are an alarming number of people seemingly conducting no research whatsoever before buying these animals. This is how you end up with animals getting sick and potentially even dying. Well....this and people who get given perfectly good advice by vets/long term keepers/etc but reject it because it's just too hard or someone else said they heard you can't do that during a full moon....

If that's what the first post was about and I haven't misunderstood it then I agree totally.

Ok. I am slow at catching on to the point, but you are right. I, too, don't like seeing ppl taking in animals without some homework done beforehand so they know what they are getting themselves in for. But in saying that, animals are a life time learning project. You will never have all the answers to questions you forget to ask and don't know what to ask. Some of the beardy threads I have seen are quite important ones for ppl to learn how to tell when their animal is sick or why it does certain things. But one of the biggest things these ppl also should know is that vet advice should come first. If in doubt, see the vet. Might cost a few dollars but when one committs to an animal the few dollars is something that comes part and parcel with them. Yes it is fine to ask questions here, but if your animal is getting sick by the minute while you sit there waiting for someone to answer you, then I agree you are jeopardising the health of your animal. Is it fair to say, "Oh well if it dies I'll just go buy another one. That is cheaper than a vet"

I recommend a book called "The Bearded Dragon Manual". It has answered most questions I've needed answering about my bearded dragon. It is a bit on the expensive side. I paid $40 for mine but it is an excellent reference book.

Last edited:
i would hardly call $40 expensive ???
compared to a couple of hundred $$$ vet bill..................
and for those who wouldn't be prepared to fork out for the vet, DON"T KEEP ANIMALS

I've been pooh-poohed on this forum for using (respected) reptile books as guidance, so newbs, use books for reference but don't talk about it here lest the armchair experts attack you for it :lol:

Questions are fine if its something highly unusual but it is the repeditive ones that annoy everyone.........search it thoughorly read read read then if no answer ask................take half the replies you get fromall the other noobs and ignore and see what the others all say, if it is most people agreeing then thats the advice to take.

And Vat....how dare you have the cheek to read a book and do some research...........;)......lol

The problem i have is that millions of questioned get asked over and over, and these questions repedatively get ignored by the more experienced people. So what we are left with is lots of questiones being asked and answered by people with no idea.

Settle down...........no one is saying dont ask questions...............just the same ones that get asked week in week out...............I am always willing to learn and share my knowledge but when you get the same question asked about basic husbandry that is in every book on every forum and has been asked 12 000 000 000 000 times it gets a bit tedious that people cant use a search function. If Im new to a forum I search my question first then ask it if it hasnt been dealt with..............not a hard thing to do.

I have to agree with you on this, the good thing about this forum is you don't have to read it if you don't want to. I'd prefer questions to dead reptiles anyday.

i agree too :D

....... If Im new to a forum I search my question first then ask it if it hasnt been dealt with..............not a hard thing to do.

I don't :p. Haha sorry but when I am new to a forum I am eager to start joining in. But you are right. Basic husbandry is in every book and on every forum and is something you should already know about before you buy your pet. Poor bugger can't sit in a cage and cook, freeze, starve or whatever waiting for you to decide what you need to learn next. So learn the basics and have it all set up FIRST, then start looking for your beardy.

calm down? that was calm. giggles.
i understood the repetitveness side , if you do actually read them most of the questions go un answered or they get put down for being stupid enough not to do a search. most of these people are kids. go ahead and read some. half of the info is in correct and if there is not a couple of experienced people who agree on an answer for them they will do the wrong thing, is that what you want?check out my thread for blue tongue with orange belly. i was asking if it was a specific region it came from but the answers dont fit the question and it is not untill someone actually reads it properly that you can be satisfied. and when you do a search you have to sift through thousands of posts to get to one similar to your question. i guess it is just quicker to post a thread. posers do it, every day.weet-bix have you always had an original thread posted, i dont think anyone has for quiet a long time.

no hard feeling everyone ....... was getting up the masses not a personal attack. check out my next post how to win friends and influence people. lol

I have to agree with you on this, the good thing about this forum is you don't have to read it if you don't want to. I'd prefer questions to dead reptiles anyday.
i agree , let the newbies ask their questions , if you dont like the question simply dont read it!

In the olden days (hehehe) you had to be a member of a Reptile club before you were handed your licence to keep reptiles in Queensland.

I really don't know why EPA stopped that requirement.

I've been pooh-poohed on this forum for using (respected) reptile books as guidance, so newbs, use books for reference but don't talk about it here lest the armchair experts attack you for it :lol:
Like oh my God Vat! I like totally can't believe you like just admitted to like READING in front of like ALL of these people!!!! DUDE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back