EWD conditions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DisturbedDave

Reaction score
Just after a second, third, possibly fourth opinion on the conditions of my EWD enclosure... Now that everything has stabilised I want to make sure it's where it should be, before any potential issues.
Warm end (top of enclosure) is 32, cool end (bottom) is 23, and basking area ranges from 36-40 depending on where on the slate I check. Humidity ranges from 60-70% depending on ambient conditions.
I have the aquarium sitting at around 22 degrees.

Thoughts on this?

I'm in Brisbane and all those temps are basically exactly what I'm running my enclosure at inc humidity... My EWD is powering on in those conditions
ezute5yq.jpg

I only have one EWD now, Not Stompy hated me (and no one else, except for when the boyfriend was wearing hi-vis) and constantly attacked me so has moved on to a home where he has flourished and doesn't try to kill anyone. I now only have Stompy who's missing a few bits and pieces so can't swim or climb very well (I got her like that). She's in a 3-foot aquarium, with about 1.6foot of it water at around 15cm deep. Water is not heated, hot spot is around 35 degrees, rest of the tank is room temperature (occasionally gets very cold here in Melbourne), no heating at night. She is thriving in this setup, but I've just bought a 3-foot exo terra and will be making that her permanent home (I wouldn't advise 3 foot for a fully capable EWD as it would be far too small, but Stompy's just not capable of running around and climbing like other EWDs, so I'm happy with that size for her), with a waterfall and some nice wide ledges and maybe some ramps to help her get around.

Sounds like you have it all sorted :)
I heat mine during the night for the sole purpose of keeping them active and eating over winter (I'm Melbourne too). They are only young so I want them to have a healthy grow rate for 12 months then I'll allow the enclosure to fluctuate with weather.

Thanks for the feedback guys, good to know it's as it should be

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

way hotter than i run mine.. mine sits aroun 26-30 depending on time of year and 16 at night.. humidity sits between 30-60 depending on the season.. mine seem happy as larry, hot spot is 32 give or take..

With EWD they range from qld down to vic and ive heard reports of people seeing them living and breeding in the foothills of adelaide now. They can live in near toxic water and deal with adelaide winters and qld summers..

What im trying to say is they are more hardy than a beardie and as long as things arent to hot and they have a good size water section they tend to thrive... the only thing i would advise against is humidity over about 80 for long periods.. the only reptile ive lost was a young water dragton when i was a starter and it was because of to high humidity for to long i think..

Last edited:
Awesome cheers for the feedback. 70 is the maximum I've seen mine, and that's because I have a 120L aquarium built into the enclosure. I might turn the heater right down on the aquarium though and that should settle things down a bit

EWDs are pretty much indestructible. I really wouldn't stress too much about their enclosure, they thrive in a huge rage of environments, temperatures and humidities. They live in polluted water ways with no ill effects.

In saying all that, it's always good to give your animals the best enclosure possible and your's looks like a lizard palace, so good work. I probably wouldn't have the basking area so hot though, maybe like 35 max.

Basking globe downgraded to 40w, hotspot now 35.1, I'm a lot more comfortable with that, and all three dragons seem to spend more time on the slate under it. They actually seem happier! Good times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back