Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if it is 3 years old i would say its a female ewd..... even tho is has the red belllly... what sorta material is in the bottom of the enclosure????

While we are on the subject on water dragons, does this look like a dislocated tale? And check out this little girl!

Attachments

• Image087.jpg
    Image087.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Image088.jpg
    Image088.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Image089.jpg
    Image089.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 48
your lizard is a eastern water dragona dn you wont be able to tell sex easily. it could be a male but it is also common for females to have red chests also

It's short round body and smaller head make it look female to me.

i say female becuase if it was a male it would have a bigger beard and a spikes on the back of its neck

There are some crosses of ewds and gwds around, they are not as nice looking as either of the pure sub-species.

Daniel, if that tail has always been like that it could have been born with a kinked tail. If it happened suddenly then it would be an injury.

i will take him/her to a reptile shop and ask if he/she is a ewd or gwd but i think its a ewd and ask if its a male or female

i will take him/her to a reptile shop and ask if he/she is a ewd or gwd but i think its a ewd and ask if its a male or female

yeh i would have to agree witrh you there i am 95% possitive it is a female ewd

unless I am mistaken the most obvious difference is that ewds have a black stripe behind their eye's similar to blueys. Gwds don't.

Feel free to correct me anyone
Eastern Water Dragons (Physignathus lesueurii lesueurii) have a dark stripe from ear to eye, the Gippsland Water Dragon (Physignathus lesueurii howittii) lacks the stripe. Eastern Water Dragons males have a red flush on their chest and darker bands. Gippsland Water Dragon males have an olive-grey chest, and is distinguished with a colourful throat that is blotched or striped with various colours; orange, blue and yellow.

What you have there is an Eastern Water Dragon. The colour of the chest is not a reliable method for sexing unless the dragon has been housed with other water dragons as lone females can have red chests as well. The photos are not clear enough to distinguish any hemipene buldges either.

Thanks Greebo, I'd picked that up somewhere and wasn't sure if I'd remembered it correctly.

Please for the love of God.... atleast TRY to type correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back