F2 Gaboon/rhino viper hybrids...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreggMadden

Not so new Member
Reaction score
This is the result of a first generation gaboon/rhino viper cross breeding...
3964013371_2e8cd24db4_o.jpg

Last edited:
love the look of these things mate, seems as though there is plenty of variation amongst clutchmates, any secrets for getting species to interbreed?

looks ugly imo but if your happy with it good on you and who cares what i think lol!

Last edited:
How can anyone not like Gaboon or Rhino Vipers, they are beautiful.

I have no particular problem with hybrids but they don't look like a visual improvement on either species of parent. Were you trying to achieve anything in particular?

love the look of these things mate, seems as though there is plenty of variation amongst clutchmates, any secrets for getting species to interbreed?

Your in Australia Jason,
you dont need to know the secrets of getting snakes to interbreed.

Can't really make a comment either way it's a poor quality image from where I'm sitting !!!!

Those pictures are bollocks! I'm sure they are awesome looking snakes but surely you have better pics! lol

Here is the father to the 3 in the photo...
3965115353_323ae66b62_o.jpg

This is a very natural hybrid... That is the only reason I see no issue with this particular cross... Infact the female that produced these guys was a wild caught.... Gaboon vipers and rhino viper breed quite regularly where their ranges overlap... There is no secret to this cross as gaboons and rhinos will breed eachother as readily as they would breed their own...

rhino gaboon crosses

True the two spp cross breed in the wild, but it is not so common. In the few years I spent in West Africa I came across litterally thousands of rhinos and gaboons but only three hybrids.
But I do love rhinos and gaboons, big fat slugs especially gaboons, rhinos are a bit fiesty. A greater chance of been bitten by a sebae than a gaboon they are so placid.

Im sure it's a nice looking snake you have created, but personally if i had a choice, i would take a pure gaboon or rhino over the homemade intergrade.
It seems like a bit like a waste of genes.
Are the any benefits to crossing the two sub species?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back