FALKOR - DRAGON or WHAT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is Falkor a Reptile

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinky

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

To stop a dispute between ShadowDragon and myself, (from the favorite fictional reptile thread) we need your opinion.

Is Falkor the Luck Dragon from Never Ending Story a reptile ?

Kinda looked like a hybrid between a dog and a dragon... but considering it is a luck dragon, I'd consider it to be a reptile...

Wonder if it has a scientific name- common names can be misleading- who knows, maybe it really was a dog, but the name luck dragon is just misleading:lol:

a very hard one to call as he had hair all over... just because he is called a dragon doesn't necessarily make him one, think of night tigers for example, they aren't tigers are they. to be honest i have no idea what id call him.
Its just like the question wether a griffon is a mammal or a bird lol.
for some more useless imaginary animal facts, did you know taun taun from star wars is suppose to be a reptile apparently! lol

Show your work people, I want to see the clasification order and family....

I think falkor is a synapsid.

Ok realised that prolly wont make much sense to most of you. A synapsid is a mammal like reptile and sometimes referred to as stem mammals. For caustic here's a bit of info...

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Subphylum: Vertebrata

Infraphylum: Gnathostomata

Superclass: Tetrapoda

Class: Reptilia

Subclass: Synapsida

Order: Dragonia

Family: Dragonidae

Genus: Luckidae

Species: luckidae

So basically what we have here is a Luckidae luckidae. Which is a reptile.

Last edited:
He didn't seem to worry about regulating his body temp, and the hair thing I'd say more mammal than reptile.

Hard to say but i dont think he is!
He reminds me of Appa, from Avatar the last airbender.
BTW Appa can fly and he is a flying bison....

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
http://mimg.ugo.com/201001/35871/appa.jpg
A pic of Appa ^^

I don't think having hair would stop him from being a reptile because i read a species of frog was found that had feathers. Dont forget he is magic, he flys without wings or anything. I dont know if dragons are classified as reptiles anyway but they could be closely related due to physical simalarities. Maybe hes called the luck dragon because he has hair to help regulate his body temp. lol

Gotta go with mammal I'm afraid. Didn't Etrayu (or whatever the kid's name was) cuddle up to him at one stage for warmth one night? I think there's a pelagic turtle that can generate it's own body heat, but as far as I know, that's the only one...
And as mentioned, there's the fur and dog face. My money's on mammal!

I don't think he's real.
I think someone has made him up to toy with our minds.
Therefore he isn't either :p

I have emailed a museum with a photo of Falkore and here is their response with the CORRECT identification.

Dear Sir,
The animal in question I believe lives a life of a prop amongst the German adult film industry.
It is infact a fictitious character for a film made many years ago and therefore is not any sort of animal whatsoever.
If you would like a 2nd opinion you could always ask them over at APS where there are many experts :p

Kind regards Joseph Fernando

:lol::lol::lol:

Falcor is neither mammal or reptile, I believe Falcor is a "reptomammal" and is the long lost cousin of the Rancor from Starwars Return of the Jedi. haha.

I would say that being a fantasy character he would be exactly what you percieved him to be unless stated as something else by the writer/creator? could be a bird? could be a reptile or mammal? could be a monotreme? actually monotreme probably makes the most sense to me. im going with invertibrate ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back