FAQ about snakes ..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Dreaded_Pets

Reaction score
FAQ About Snakes

I take no credit for some of these answers I was simply bored and took the questions from the sticky's and multiple threads and compiled the best ones with the best answers to reduce some of the sticky’s and hopeflly repeat threads :D

Q)What python is best for a first snake?
A)There a lot of good docile snakes for beginner’s most pythons from the children family only grow to 3ft making them a good small snake most are also quite docile and most carpets are good docile snakes however they grow quite a lot larger try to avoid jungles as a 1st snake unless you don’t mind being bitten a lot as junkies are well known as being nippy.

Q)Will my snake bite me?
A)Yes if you handle your snake particularly a Hatchie you may get bitten it is a defensive mechanism and obviously the smaller the snake the more easily it will get scared best ways to avoid this as much as possible is to handle them regularly, move slowly, and use tongs when feeding

Q)Does a python bite hurt?
A)Yes and no hatches &yearlings generally don’t hurt and until you get to the yearling stage almost never draw blood however once you get into the larger sized pythons yes it will hurt and yes it will bleed.

Q)How often can I handle my snake?
A)In general as often as you like however it should be done in small bursts of 5-15mins when they are young as they will start to get agitated, It’s also a good idea not to handle your snake for a day or 2 after feeding as it can cause the snake to regurgitate its food and lastly if your snake is getting ready to shed (milky eyes) leave it be/

Q)What sized enclosure is best for my snake?
A)This depends on the type and size of the snake generally hatches are best kept in small containers you can build yourself called “click-clacks” a good guide on making these can be found at this link (http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/guide-build-click-clack-dial-93266/) from there it all comes down to what you have to what’s best the next step is however is usually a mid-sized enclosure 24”Lx24”Hx18”W after that it’s all up to you.

Q)How big a food item should I feed my new snake and how often?
A)General rule of thumb is not to feed any item that is fatter than the largest part of your snake (slightly larger is ok)it is best to feed your snake once every 5-7 days when they are younger however once they start to get larger you can fed 1 large item per fortnight or even month.

Q)My snake is currently eating mice but won’t take rats what should I do?
A)A lot of different methods for this you can try scenting it with a mouse skink or house gecko (rubbing it all over the rat) before feeding, Defrost it in water you just used to defrost a mouse in, Feed a small mouse then follow it straight up with the rat, as long as it is taking mice you have plenty of time to try different methods.

Q)What are hypos, Albinos, Amery’s, ect ect?
A)These are various kinds of genetic mutations concerning colour a hypo has reduced black pigment while an albino has no black pigment, anerys have no red pigment and so on and so on if the snake you are looking at is a “het” it means it carry’s 1 of those or other genetic trait even if it snit showing yet by breeding this het with another het will produce a mixture of hets pure and normal offspring.

Q)Is my snake a girl or a boy?
A)Don’t know…. In general it is best to have snakes probed for a definite answer as to what sex it is most herp vets will do this for you pretty cheaply (mine charges $14)

Q)Can I keep 2 snakes in the same cage?
A)Simple answer is yes however even if they are male and female and of the same size you still run the chance of 1 killing the other or both dyeing so the general rule is unless breeding and at its breeding season then its best to keep your snakes separately.

Q)What substrate should I use?
A)Most people u will find use newspaper it’s free and easily replaceable after your snake defecates on it, other people swear by breeder’s choice.

Q)How often should my snake poo and shed?
A)generally with younger pythons they should be defecating a few days after every feed provided your feeding large enough food items and shedding will occur about every 4 weeks once again provided its being fed the right sized food, however when your snake gets larger this will tend to slow down somewhat/

Q)What do I do with mouldy eggs?
A)Light dusting of tinea powder works well, some people use a diluted solution of f10 400/1 applied with a cotton tip.

Q)Best kind of lights to use for night viewing?
A)You have a few options I for one use an infra-red heat bulb which allows me to see in of a night time however if you have heating and daytime lighting sorted you can use party lights (must be cultured glass not painted) blue, red, purple are all good colors to choose, other than that neon’s or led strips of those colors mentioned will work also/

Q)Best age to start breeding my pythons?
A)Generally around 3yrs old is best for them however people have breed succesfully with younger pythons.

Last edited:
thanks michael..
have you looked through the wiki section?
theres a tab link up on the main tool bar

Frequently Asked Questions - Aussie Pythons & Snakes

heres the link to a similar wiki section we have.. maybe you can incorporate some of your stuff there?
If you message adam (Administrator) Im sure he can help with it all.. cheers

lol i have insomnia and run out of sleepers :D doing a beardie faq now...

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks colin iv looked at the wiki for a few things and noticed there isnt alot on there will have a look for you :D
also you will find alot of people dont look at the wiki and simply ask here on the forum as i never even knew it was there for quite sometime

no worries.. yes the wiki section is a work in progress.. maybe we can get some more information there in time to assist newbies so they dont have to keep asking the same questions that are already covered in this section.

had a look colin i will have to msg adam as i have no idea what im doing when i click edit there are symbols ect and i dont know what there for so will have to work something out i also did a care sheet for henerylawsoni lastnight just need my pair to wakeup so i can take pix that wont break any copyright laws :) as i found geting info on here and google pretty hard for the little guys

yes adam is the best person to ask about the actual addition of information to the wiki's.. sorry i cant help more - Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
FAQ About Snakes

Q)What python is best for a first snake?
A)There a lot of good docile snakes for beginner’s most pythons from the children family only grow to 3ft making them a good small snake most are also quite docile and most carpets are good docile snakes however they grow quite a lot larger try to avoid jungles as a 1st snake unless you don’t mind being bitten a lot as junkies are well known as being nippy.

I think you meant Jungles are known to be nippy....lol...

Mate you have done well & is a great idea, as you said alot of people especialy beginners don't look at wiki section. I did not even know what a wiki was until someone explained it to me a while ago.
Talk to Adam but it would be a good idea if could be a permanent icon at the start of the general discussion forum or something like that. That way it is allways there prominantly for people to refer to, & possibly modified through the administrator as needed.

Cheers Ian.

thanks guys guss insomnia has its upside when u dont feel like playing fomputer games lol that and im sick of seeing the same questions all the time need new questions asked so I can learn new stuff aswell :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back