Fat or Pregnant

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Switch

Reaction score
Yes Yes i know its my own fault for not keeping records, im going to start to....
My Diamond is getting fatter and fatter and im pretty sure it was early September, at the latest, since she spent some quality time with the boys.
Normally it would be around 60 days from copulation to when she lays eggs, is that right? Can it be longer?
I am worried she might have eggs that wont come out, Im sure this could make her very sick, can that happen?
This would be her first season breeding, she is 5.5 year old and in good health, eats, poops and sheds regularly, feels muscley and strong, and very active.
Over the last 2 weeks her activity has dropped off and she is spending more time on the floor and in her enclosure. Still wanting to feed OK though.
Any thoughts, abuse, corrections or answers appreciated.
Little pic attached too.

Switch, feeding regulary is not a good sign. Females only rarely eat when they are gravid. Has she been lying upside down over the last few weeks??? That can be a good sign. Has she shed lately. Diamonds normally lay their eggs around 27 to 28 days after their pre lay shed.

Looks very similar to my female B&W diamond. Will post some pics when I get home. My female shed about 5 days ago. I am hoping she is gravid as well. I have seen mating on numerous occassions. she is still eating but only small rats and hesitantly at that. Will have to wait another 3 odd weeks to find out.

Good luck switch.

cheers guys.
I havent seen her on her back at all.
She hasnt shed for 3-4 weeks, but like i said....no records so i cant be sure....must change this

Switch, the only time you need to record any imfo is when you are trying to breed. If I have a girl who I hope is gravid I write her shed date on masking tape and place it on the glass of her cage. This way you always know roughly when to start looking for eggs.

As your girl is eating, and is not lying upside down at all, then the chances that she is gravid is not good. However, don't give up complete hope because sometimes the girls forget to read the rule books and do something weird.

do they lay on there backs only when getting close to laying or is something they do sporadically throughtout the whole pregnancy, i guess every snake differs hey ?

Good News ..... And Bad News
Spent the dollars and got an Xray.
She is not egg bound which is fantastic.
But she also is not gravid..... maybe next year.

Good to hear your Diamond has read the rule book. Wish they all would like yours. It would make life a lot easier.

Hey Switch, what did it cost you for the x-ray?

The Xray is normally $80 plus $30 consultation, i know the lady there, she keeps snakes also, so they only charged me $79 all up, small price to pay i feel, im sleeping better already.

are x-rays bad for snakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back