Feeder crickets getting eaten by ants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
I woke this morning made a coffee, and noticed all my feeder crickets going crazy, looked closer and saw all these ants eating and attacking my crickets, I'm very annoyed as I just bought two tubs of them yesterday.

I tried to save as many crickets as I could but all of them died :( , they were in a cricket keeper, with a couple pieces of carrot, a little sponge for water and a little bit of celery. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening again? as
I'm buying new tubs tomorrow.

Would like to here if people have had this problem before and how you dealed with it.

Either keep a secure lid on the tub with no holes or paint a layer of fluron around the outside halfway up.

I woke this morning made a coffee, and noticed all my feeder crickets going crazy, looked closer and saw all these ants eating and attacking my crickets, I'm very annoyed as I just bought two tubs of them yesterday.

I tried to save as many crickets as I could but all of them died :( , they were in a cricket keeper, with a couple pieces of carrot, a little sponge for water and a little bit of celery. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening again? as
I'm buying new tubs tomorrow.

Would like to here if people have had this problem before and how you dealed with it.
I had the exact same thing happen to me today but I only had one tub.

I did have a secure lid on with a bit of fly wire screen, so I don't know how the little buggers got to the crickets.
anyone else got tips to stop this happening?

i put my crix in a tub on the bathroom floor. Then i sprinkle talk powder on the tiles around it. Ants refuse to walk on the powder and my crix are super safe from ants :D

YAY me!! :D

i put my crix in a tub on the bathroom floor. Then i sprinkle talk powder on the tiles around it. Ants refuse to walk on the powder and my crix are super safe from ants :D

YAY me!! :D
I guess putting the tub in a try of water would do the same.

I guess putting the tub in a try of water would do the same.

yeah that'd work too. Might attract the ants though if they are seeking moisture. They keep getting into my BHP's water dish :mad:

I have just sprayed every window (outside) and door frame and it seems to have stopped them from coming in now.

Borax is a good no chemical repellant for ants. You can also mix it with sugar and the ants will come to the sugar and the borax will kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back