Feeder Lizards?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its legal to take some from bush in some states for feeders but they do not allow you to breed feeders which is stupid. I would breed asian house geckos if I was going to keep something like a burtons. If I had to use a native herp I would just use tails from marbled geckos or leasures velvets as they are cheap and common.

people either catch skinks and geckos (illegal), or breed skinks or geckos for food (illegal), or scent pinkies and rat tails with skinks or geckos etc or force feed / pinkie pump them.

they are one of my favourite animals but for the effort you would need to put into getting them onto mice and the price people sell them at I have never bothered to get any, I just can't see the point in paying $500 for a common lizard they is a problem to feed. you can always pay that extra few hundred for one that is feeding on pinkies if you are really keen.

It would depend on your states legislation, here in qld its illegal to use protected species other than a list of 6 or so common species, they need to be collected on your own property in a way that wont damage the population. We can also use Asian House Geckos which are running around on the walls everywhere. They wouldnt be worth the effort to keep and breed as food, catching them is pretty easy though.

Im fairly sure its illegal to feed burtons in some states, but some still keep them anyway. Pretty cool lizards, i will probably get some one day.

I keep and breed Burtons and have no trouble feeding them on AHG's. I don't need to breed AHG's myself as there are so many around my house. You clear out all of the resident ones and within a week there are new residents. They can be euthanased much like rodent food items and frozen for later use. Not really any different than feeding a snake.

In Queensland the legislation allows for us to use certain native species for feeders but in reality most lizard feeders will happily eat the introduced Asian House Gecko. We are not allowed to breed natives for this purpose.

Far better choice in my opinion. I always kid myself that I am doing the environment a favour by removing a feral pest but in reality my efforts have made almost no dent in the local population. If anything there are more!

Aside from the reluctance to eat anything other than other reptiles they are fascinating to keep and breed.

One interesting side note is that they vocalise much as many gecko species do. Mine are particularly vocal when doing the deed or in minor territorial squabbles!!

Cheers Andrew

Yeah they also lick there eyes, some have suggested that they are more closely related to geckos than other lizards

No pest lizard species down South.....Yet. Hopefully the AHGs don't make it here.I'd love to know how URS feed theirs.

Send a PM to sonyanicholls, she should be able to give you a answer thats relevant to you being in SA.

Anyone know if euthanised AHG's can be legally exported/imported to the southern states?

Being a pest species I would doubt it even if they were dead and frozen. As I think you have already worked out you would probably need an export permit from the state of origin and an import permit to the state you are in?
But in Queensland I am pretty sure you cannot even keep them without a special permit? much like cane toads.

They are not a protected species so I can use them as a food item (as long as it is done humanely-all animal welfare laws would still apply) but would be suprised if I could export them.

I am not even sure who you would need to ask.

What's the easiest way to catch AHG?

Isn't there a risk of introducing disease or worms/etc when feeding them to your burtons?

Being a pest species I would doubt it even if they were dead and frozen. As I think you have already worked out you would probably need an export permit from the state of origin and an import permit to the state you are in?
But in Queensland I am pretty sure you cannot even keep them without a special permit? much like cane toads.

They are not a protected species so I can use them as a food item (as long as it is done humanely-all animal welfare laws would still apply) but would be suprised if I could export them.

I am not even sure who you would need to ask.

Thought that might be the case, I'm sure there would be a market if it wasn't for all the red tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back