Feeding beardies: proportions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

betchern0t

Reaction score
Hi, I have two eastern bearded dragons that are about 18mths old. What proportion of veg to cockroaches should I be feeding?

Many thanks in advance

Paul

As much veg as they'll eat in a day, probably a cup or so each and 10 - 15 woodies each in the arvo (so they eat their veg), probably in the region of 70/30 or 80/20 veg to roaches

Last edited:
As much veg as they'll eat in a day, probably a cup or so each and 10 - 15 woodies each in the arvo (so they eat their veg), probably in the region of 70/30 or 80/20 veg to roaches

Hmm they don't eat anywhere near that. They currently have about half a cup each that they have barely touched from this morning. They will happily eat that many roaches though ;)

Yeah sounds like mine, as 18mth olds they really don't need roaches everyday, so only give them some every second day and they'll be forced to eat more of their veg. What veg is in your mix?

omg, a cup of salad! mine would be so obese if they were offered that!!!
mine get a small handful of salad most days which is scoffed down within a minute,...and a few roaches on the weekends (by a few i mean 3-5 and thats instead of salad)

but proportionally, the 80/20 leamos said is perfect.

beardies are much healthier kept on the lean side, keep an eye on their weight.

Okay so maybe not a cup but a good cupped handful, measurements were never my thing, my bad

Yeah sounds like mine, as 18mth olds they really don't need roaches everyday, so only give them some every second day and they'll be forced to eat more of their veg. What veg is in your mix?

I have been struggling with that too. I was doing a mix of carrot, celery and onion - packaged from Aldi - but then read that onion was bad. I have tried frozen mixed veg also. My latest attempt is bok or pak choy, grated pumpkin and alfalfa sprouts. This was based on reading here.

Cheers Paul

- - - Updated - - -

These two are on the lean side. Probably also small for their age.

Cheers Paul

Last edited:
being only 18 months you will find they are still more interested in live food but as they grow older they will definitely eat more veg.I give mine a small bowl of veg every morning and crix or woodies once or twice a week,here is a link to a good site..
..Nutrition content

Last edited:
80:20 is what i hear and read most of the time. I normally top their food bowl up with veges, when i come home and give my pregnant female a feed daily and the others every 2 days.

omg, a cup of salad! mine would be so obese if they were offered that!!!
mine get a small handful of salad most days which is scoffed down within a minute,...and a few roaches on the weekends (by a few i mean 3-5 and thats instead of salad)

but proportionally, the 80/20 leamos said is perfect.

no-one ever got obese on salad it is an impossible task.

I feed a mix of endive, mustard greens, asian greens, and a little bit grated pumpkin or carrot. Once a week or so I add in a few pieces of apple,peach or grape (whatever is in the fridge)

carrots,peas,beans,broccoli,capsicum,butternut pumpkin, basil, parsley,mint,orange,mandarin,strawberry,kiwi fruit,banana in small amounts.
"these are a few of their favourite things"

Mine is the same age and still craves live food. He gets four or five large crix every second day. Veg wise its what ever is in the fridge except those things on the ban list. He does enjoy beans, strawberry and rock melon in particular.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

today I fed mine carrot,beans and capsicum,my 3yo M central ate all the capsicum and a bit of carrot and bean;my 6yo F ate beans and my 7 month old pygmies ate everything + crix.Yesterday they all ate peas and corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back