Feeding beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: Beardies

Mine occasionally will eat soaked pellets, not often though, i prefer to offer fresh than anything pre prepared/dehydrated.

This is a link to one of the most helpful sites I have found about feeding beardies. I often refer to it as it is easy to think something is safe and good for them, like spinach, when it actually isn't because of it's high oxalates (stops the absorption of calcium). I just try and stick with foods coded green or black.

http://home.comcast.net/~holachapulin/Nutrition.html

I dust the crickets, woodies, meal worms etc with reptical and Herptivite once a week. Juviniles every feed. Not only for my beardies but for my Painted's, Mountains, Jackies etc.

I offered my Jackies and Beardies Zoomed pellets, waste of money. I then tried the Rep-Cal Bearded Dragon Pellets. These are the pellets that require moistening proir to eating. This didn't work either. Then I hit the jack pot. I soaked the pellets in Apple Juice for about 10 mins then drain out the excess. They love it. Just use lil amounts at a time or the waste is too high as mine wont eat them if the pellets are resoaked.

It worked for me however I do not use this as a substitute for real fruit & veg - just some variety in their diets.

Hope this has helped a little.

Re: RE: Feeding beardies

pugsly said:
Take him outside too for a roam and ya will probably see him eating some grass and exploring,

They also like dandelion flowers.

:p

Hix

RE: Re: RE: Feeding beardies

Every beardie ive had (including the 30 or so i hatched) has eaten the pellets with no dramas at all. I like them as they have all the vitamins ect that they need without having to worry about the dusting or gutloading ect. And they have always been eaten dry straight from the jar!! You can hear them crunching away from the other side of the room. And they smell like fruit loops!!!!

hey sherminator - what brand pellets do you use. (I have some rep-cal and my beardie looked at me like I was stupid.)

my barbata will both eat the rep-cal ones, but not if i put mealies in the bowl, they pick them out...

Alex, they are the rep-cal ones. Ive used both the juvenile and adult sizes successfully.

There are the other ones that look yellowish with the yellow lid, they never ate those ones at all.

hiya all, i feed my 3 beardies on fresh fruit and veg every day, i grate up carrott apple slice banana kiwi fruit letuce bok choy strawberries and a handful of alphalpha mixed together then sprinkled with repti cal. Then twice a week they have crickets, and once a month they get a pinky rat with worming solution injected into it and they are healthy happy little campers

just curious i have an eastern beardy and when ever i here how large peoples babys are i just think they sound really small, when mine was 12 months he was about 38 cm TL and weight was about 330 grams, are they all that large at that age or did i just get him really big faster then usual, even people that see him now think he is a monster for 20 months he is about 45cm and almost 380 grams?

Tweety2 - y so heavy on the worming???? The diet sound great, confussed on the worming?????

Jason - I've seen your Beardie.... You sure you haven't given it any steroids.

Speaking of Big bruiser Beardies. My two males were born the 22nd of january and are 35cm total length and 14.5cm SVL. Is this big? I was getting concerned that my female was failing to thrive as she's about 11.5cm SVL and roughly the same age. Never tried to feed my guys pellets but made sure there was always vege available and fed crickets daily (sometimes morning and night.) Not sure if this is help or not. My feeling is fresh is best.

Im not right up on beardie grow patterns. My female - which is my only beardie was given to my very very sick. I couldn't even tell you how old, approx 18mth as Ive had it for a year. It had never had UV or supplements and used to have convulsions and was very under nurished. It took me a good 5 - 6 mnths to get it eating right. I'm supprised it survived. I think because of this juvenile mis treatment it has stunted its growth. She is now 30cm & 76 grams

glimmerman, cos i have cat dog snakes hermit crabs and kids, plus the beardies are outside quite often, so i give them 0.1ml a month, just to be safe but not overdosing :)

when having so many lizards what do people use as a staple diet, do many people give mainly roaches cause they are easy to breed cause i was considering doing this but im just curious if it isn't as good as crickets?

When young the more you feed the faster they grow. Most reptiles won't over eat so I feed mine whatever they can fit in (the male beardies are now 6mnth old and 38cm TL and 14cm SVL). On the otherhand they will survive on a lot less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back